5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering installing an oil catch can. What is a good brand that's easy to maintain empty and clean?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I want to know as well. I was told that naturally aspirated don't really need one, but even if it has some benefit, I would be interested.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easiest is none at all.
Only two reasons you'd need one. Direct injected and forced induction.

Other than that you are capturing water vapor with a small amount of oil entrained. Neither is that big a deal.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I have

PQY Oil Catch Can Baffled Oil Separator Tank 6oz for Trucks Compatible with 09-on Dodge Challenger Ram 1500 2500 5.7L 6.4L Hemi Black https://a.co/d/gzJqCfz

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I installed Mishimoto, really nice quality kit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many engine hours is that?
Not sure about hours. That's about 3000 miles. I nor ally try to empty it every 2k Mike's and average about 2oz every time. This was more than 2oz. I broke my measuring cup I used to use so couldn't check actual amount this time

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about hours. That's about 3000 miles. I nor ally try to empty it every 2k Mike's and average about 2oz every time. This was more than 2oz. I broke my measuring cup I used to use so couldn't check actual amount this time

Being generous and saying you averaged 60mph for those 3000 miles, that's 50 hours.
2 ounces divided by 50 hours is 0.04 ounces per hour. Divide that by 60 minutes and its 0.00067 ounces per minute.

If you only averaged 30 mph due to idling and traffic, those values are halved.

Seeing that much collected after 3000 miles seems like a tremendous amount, but when you think about it, it really isn't that much.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Being generous and saying you averaged 60mph for those 3000 miles, that's 50 hours.
2 ounces divided by 50 hours is 0.04 ounces per hour. Divide that by 60 minutes and its 0.00067 ounces per minute.

If you only averaged 30 mph due to idling and traffic, those values are halved.

Seeing that much collected after 3000 miles seems like a tremendous amount, but when you think about it, it really isn't that much.
And it's still crap that isn't making into my intake manifold, and combustion chamber. If you are okay with that, more power to you. Obviously not going to convince you of the benefits.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
In 6.5k miles in my Ram I collected 7oz of oil. I put it in at 2200 miles when I did my first oil change (I didn't get my truck home until the 1900 mile mark as I drove it home from the dealership).
1676995856311.png
I always drain and weigh whatever I take out, and attempt to see what it is. Sometimes I get all oil, sometimes half water, sometimes a mix like a coffee with a bunch of creamer in it.

These are not GDI engines so a catch can is not required per say, but it does help prevent earlier required cleanings.

On GDI engines catch cans almost almost required because the oil and crud goes in and doesn't get sprayed to get cleaned. You can just look up catch cans for more info.

This is what I pulled out of my Silverado (I installed the can at 23.3k miles after the MAF sensor needed to be removed and cleaned to remove a check engine code)
1676995753392.png

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is what i use.

surprising how much crap it catches.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
this is what i use.

surprising how much crap it catches.
They are too proud of their name when pricing their catch cans. It's good quality, but you are paying more for the BT name than for the catch can itself. I do use Billet Tech products, and have had one of their catch cans in my old 08 Charger I got in one of their scratch and dent sales. But even those don't save you much money anymore.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are too proud of their name when pricing their catch cans. It's good quality, but you are paying more for the BT name than for the catch can itself. I do use Billet Tech products, and have had one of their catch cans in my old 08 Charger I got in one of their scratch and dent sales. But even those don't save you much money anymore.
MSRP of $135 is not bad tbh. The Mishimoto one is priced at over $200 lol

i just can't trust anything made in china to be put in the truck. i share similar culture and language and even i don't trust them lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MSRP of $135 is not bad tbh. The Mishimoto one is priced at over $200 lol

i just can't trust anything made in china to be put in the truck. i share similar culture and language and even i don't trust them lol
Yeah, I don't understand the Mishimoto can price. And it's $135 for a basic can. Do anything other than plain billet silver and brass fittings and the price starts jumping up.

I like the $50 price point with integrated drain valve in mine. And internally, it's exactly the same as the billet tech can with how it separated the oil out.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't understand the Mishimoto can price. And it's $135 for a basic can. Do anything other than plain billet silver and brass fittings and the price starts jumping up.

I like the $50 price point with integrated drain valve in mine. And internally, it's exactly the same as the billet tech can with how it separated the oil out.
i went basic lol color is just a visual thing i don't see any reason for me to get different colors since it's not a show truck lol and brass fittings work just fine.

the integrated drain valve is a good feature and yes it does work the same as mine, but I much rather spend the additional $80 to support my fellow Americans. I can afford it anyways

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
For these trucks since we only need 1 input and output you could just get the mini can from these guys (100% American made)

I have my older bigger one so I use a T tap with check valves
This is the setup I used before

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i went basic lol color is just a visual thing i don't see any reason for me to get different colors since it's not a show truck lol and brass fittings work just fine.

the integrated drain valve is a good feature and yes it does work the same as mine, but I much rather spend the additional $80 to support my fellow Americans. I can afford it anyways
I have other reasons to shy away from BT. More personal with how a friend was treated.

Users who are viewing this thread