5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Mishimoto is not compatible with the RamAir or Vararam. Get one of the cheaper options that work just as good and don't route hoses longer than needed. The one I linked in Amazon is a great choice, and 1/4 of the price.
Not true. I had both installed on the 2021 Limited I used to own.

Ramair intake 1.jpg

Sportznut

Reaction score
This is what I have

PQY Oil Catch Can Baffled Oil Separator Tank 6oz for Trucks Compatible with 09-on Dodge Challenger Ram 1500 2500 5.7L 6.4L Hemi Black https://a.co/d/gzJqCfz
I just ordered one of these, thank you for the tip.
I'll install it next week.

I'm guessing 6 oz capacity will get me about 6,000 miles?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
II
I just ordered one of these, thank you for the tip.
I'll install it next week.

I'm guessing 6 oz capacity will get me about 6,000 miles?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I would check it about every 2k after install to guage how much it collects. During colder winter months it will collect more than hotter summer months. If you live in high humidity area, will be more than dry climate. I average about 2oz every 2k miles. With the drain valve on bottom, it's easy to empty. A few extra seconds while checking your oil.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha...you guess it can? No guessing needed, the picture speaks for itself. It definitely does work with the Ram Airflow intake.
Yep, I guess it can. I admitted it worked after you corrected me. No need to be a d1ck

U

User_119824

It's common knowledge in the Hemi community. It's been that way since 2003 when they first used the 5.7 in the 1500s. If you don't have a catch can, any 5.7 with more than 20k miles is going to look like that. Mostpeoole will never take the throttle body off to see that though
I can objectively say that is absolutely, 100% false.

I've NEVER seen a TB look that bad at 20k miles. Ever.

U

User_119824

I'll bite. What kind of oil and fuel does it take to not have it go back through your air intake and gunk up your throttle body, which was designed for air not fuel or gas.
I think your questions should be "did you use fuel or oil or did you run it dry fuelless?"

As I stated, are you a Stellantis engineer who worked on the design of this engine? No? Then you don't know what percentage, from 0 to 100, gets burned off during regular operation.

Boy every forum is the same when it comes to catch cans: the people who have them have this inferiority complex where they just gotta justify that purchase.

If you like it, buy it. Your money, your truck. But don't start talking doom and gloom like "OMG 20k miles no catch can and your throttle body/valves/etc. are gonna be toast! You NEED this mod to get longevity out of a 5.7L!" Because, factually speaking, no. No you don't. I've rebuilt plenty of 150k+ 5.7's that never saw a catch can. The marketing hype has a real grip on some though.

It doesn't hurt, but it is NOT necessary. Much like most modifications.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Ive been happy with my Mishimoto catch can, it was expensive but high quality and works great. I got it because the kit clears my s&b intake while the engine mounted ones don’t. Empty it out very oil change (3500 miles or so) and there is always 2-4oz of oil/water/slime in it. Catch cans on a hemi are worth it, always glad I didnt burn the crap the comes out of that catch can.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No mod is necessary, no one is saying a catch can is ether.

However it is beneficial to a cleaner and better running engine over the long haul.

Kinda how 89 fuel isn’t necessary. But running it vs 87 is better in the long run..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can objectively say that is absolutely, 100% false.

I've NEVER seen a TB look that bad at 20k miles. Ever.
My Silverado looked like that at 21k miles. It was even throwing MAF sensor engine codes.
A catch can does good.
You don't need it.
There's lots of things you don't need in life.

But saying it doesn't do anything of benefit is just incorrect, even if on these engines it's not as critical as say a GDI engine needing a can.

OP asked what was a good can to get, he didn't ask someone to come debate weather he should buy one or not.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry I raised such a stink posting those pics. The first one was at 140K and the engine was not running very well because of it. The second one I believe was a 75K service. Running a quality catch can should help reduce that level of fouling of the throttle body. You can still get a little fouling through the clean side if you run WOT or tow a lot, but that should be minimal compared to the dirty side. I believe I remember someone here running an Rx can which is plumbed for both sides. The pics were only posted to help show the benefits of running a catch can. They certainly aren’t a necessity, but many car and truck guys believe the minimal cost and additional maintenance are worth it. 🍻 🍻 🍻

U

User_119824

My Silverado looked like that at 21k miles. It was even throwing MAF sensor engine codes.
A catch can does good.
You don't need it.
There's lots of things you don't need in life.

But saying it doesn't do anything of benefit is just incorrect, even if on these engines it's not as critical as say a GDI engine needing a can.

OP asked what was a good can to get, he didn't ask someone to come debate weather he should buy one or not.
Your Silverado looked like that because you bought a GM. No offense to you, but I worked in their engineering department for over a decade....and their AFM is junk. Causes all kinds of issues. I had a Silverado regular cab with the V6 and got a CEL at 45 miles off the floor due to a loose grommet in the intake. Also had a Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L crack a camshaft at 36k miles...bone stock. GM has their own problems to be sure.

I wasn't debating if he needed one...already said it is a matter of opinion. But if he wants a suggestion, my Corsa is a fine option. Quality unit, easy install, and a good position under the hood.

Nothing wrong with Mishimoto either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ive got a BT installed, I think it holds 5 oz. the pic shows 6400 miles since last oil change. Oil is dark in the CC, no water nor milky looking.

7BA3420F-AA87-4B02-B774-129EFAB59DD4.jpeg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your Silverado looked like that because you bought a GM. No offense to you, but I worked in their engineering department for over a decade....and their AFM is junk. Causes all kinds of issues. I had a Silverado regular cab with the V6 and got a CEL at 45 miles off the floor due to a loose grommet in the intake. Also had a Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L crack a camshaft at 36k miles...bone stock. GM has their own problems to be sure.

I wasn't debating if he needed one...already said it is a matter of opinion. But if he wants a suggestion, my Corsa is a fine option. Quality unit, easy install, and a good position under the hood.

Nothing wrong with Mishimoto either.
I had a tune on my Silverado at 450 miles on the odometer. AFM was always disabled.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Same ^^ tune was the first thing I did on my two ecotec silverados.

I did catch a lot more crap in the can than from my ram. But the ram still catches a good bit.

And ram has issues with their DOD/AFM also. My buddies 21 ram is in the shop now for it with 30k on the clock.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same ^^ tune was the first thing I did on my two ecotec silverados.

I did catch a lot more crap in the can than from my ram. But the ram still catches a good bit.

And ram has issues with their DOD/AFM also. My buddies 21 ram is in the shop now for it with 30k on the clock.

What kind of issues is your buddy having with the MDS on his '21 Ram? Even though I dislike having it, and there are lots of complaints here about having it, there haven't been many complaints here about the system having issues.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Stuck in eco mode. It’s still at the dealer. So idk what the actual issue is.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You mean it's only running on 4 cylinders full time, or the eco light is stuck on? Being stuck on 4 cylinders would suck big ones.

Users who are viewing this thread