5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil catch can

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same ^^ tune was the first thing I did on my two ecotec silverados.

I did catch a lot more crap in the can than from my ram. But the ram still catches a good bit.

And ram has issues with their DOD/AFM also. My buddies 21 ram is in the shop now for it with 30k on the clock.
A catch can is much much more important for a Silverado then a Ram also. Direct fuel injection with the way those trucks are designed are terrible for all the crap going through and causing problems.
The HEMI is not a direct fuel infection engine but it doesn't hurt to have the catch can to help keep other less important parts cleaner, longer

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You mean it's only running on 4 cylinders full time, or the eco light is stuck on? Being stuck on 4 cylinders would suck big ones.

Yeah won’t leave 4cyl

And I know it’s more important on a DI engine. But it still keeps the intake of a normal engine cleaner and running more efficient than not having one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
except when you forget to take it off when you trade it in, like i did lol i was in a hurry back in october when i trade off my 2014 i totally forgot to remove the catch can and the k&n intake
Ouch.
When I traded my last truck in I had the conversation of "what can I take out that you arent going the change the value on"
Was able to keep around $1500 worth of stuff which I sold after such as the catch can, back rack, Airad intake, rear underseat lockbox, and more.
They basically only care about side steps and a cover 🤷‍♂️

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
What kind of issues is your buddy having with the MDS on his '21 Ram? Even though I dislike having it, and there are lots of complaints here about having it, there haven't been many complaints here about the system having issues.

So he got the truck back. They said it was a solenoid. They replaced it, he went home. The next day going to work it happened again so it got towed back to the dealer.

silver billet

Reaction score
So he got the truck back. They said it was a solenoid. They replaced it, he went home. The next day going to work it happened again so it got towed back to the dealer.

Well, there is a pretty big difference between "guy has an issue with mds" vs "ram is having issues with mds". Ram doesn't have issues with MDS, never has.

Lifters, different story.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, there is a pretty big difference between "guy has an issue with mds" vs "ram is having issues with mds". Ram doesn't have issues with MDS, never has.

Mds gets crappy lifters. I could say ram has a problem with mds based upon that.
GM has the same problem with lifters on trucks with mds equipped.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Lol. It’s literally the mds lifters that’s usually the issue.

And yes ram has had issues with it. Plenty of write ups about it.

Anyway, my buddy got his truck back, they said it was a stuck solenoid. He drove it for an hr and it happened again. So it’s back at the dealer again.

silver billet

Reaction score
Lol. It’s literally the mds lifters that’s usually the issue.

And yes ram has had issues with it. Plenty of write ups about it.

Anyway, my buddy got his truck back, they said it was a stuck solenoid. He drove it for an hr and it happened again. So it’s back at the dealer again.

No, the lifter failure has nothing to do with MDS.

1: MDS was first out on the 5.7's like in 2006, but there are no real lifter failure issues before 2009 when the eagle heads revision came out with VVT etc.
2: There are 6 speed manual challengers which do not come with MDS from the factory, and those hemis also experience lifter failures
3: FCA has attempted to fix this issue by reworking the needle bearings in and around 2016.

The lifter failure is simply a bad part, possibly exacerbated by the move too low viscosity oil, extended oil change intervals and sludging/varnishing.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
When researching to switch from gm to ram. I found several threads across all hemi powered platforms that had mds related failures. If it wasn’t an issue there would be no market for the MDs delete kits you can buy.

It’s a stupid system on all brands. with no real world mpg savings.

And my buddy is currently experiencing an issue with the mds system at 36k

cf80349c944f672449c24960247fa329.jpg

silver billet

Reaction score
When researching to switch from gm to ram. I found several threads across all hemi powered platforms that had mds related failures. If it wasn’t an issue there would be no market for the MDs delete kits you can buy.
No, what you found was rumour and speculation. Logically it can't be MDS if non-MDS equipped hemis have similar percentage of failures and MDS equipped hemis before 2009 never had this type of failure.

Agreed 100%.

Everything will fail at some point. As I mentioned, there is a difference between your buddy experiencing a solenoid failure vs Ram having a major problem on their hands with MDS.

I'm not going to argue this further. I've given you 3 reasons why MDS is not the issue.

silver billet

Reaction score
Mds gets crappy lifters. I could say ram has a problem with mds based upon that.
GM has the same problem with lifters on trucks with mds equipped.

GM has a different issue. Their problem is definitely AFM/DFM related, including bent pushrods. Completely different than the hemi which simply has needle bearing failure in both MDS and non MDS lifters, and completely different than Ford's new 7.3 which is also currently chewing up lifters and cam (cam hardening issue).

It's almost like there can be different reasons why engines can fail.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, what you found was rumour and speculation. Logically it can't be MDS if non-MDS equipped hemis have similar percentage of failures and MDS equipped hemis before 2009 never had this type of failure.
MDS delete kits for Dodge have been around pre 2009. If the system was solid there wouldn't be delete kits as you can just tune it out, but obviously there is a need to replace the MDS parts in addition to disabling the software behind it.

No one said Ram has a major problem with MDS, someone said they had a problem with MDS.

silver billet

Reaction score
MDS delete kits for Dodge have been around pre 2009. If the system was solid there wouldn't be delete kits as you can just tune it out, but obviously there is a need to replace the MDS parts in addition to disabling the software behind it.

No one said Ram has a major problem with MDS, someone said they had a problem with MDS.

Delete kits can be purchased simply because you/me don't like how MDS works. That would be why I would buy it, can't stand it going into 4 cylinder mode but that is completely different than implying that MDS is causing physical damage/failures.

And yes, someone most certainly said Ram has issues with MDS, this was the post I was responding to:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
a tune can simply turn it off for those who don’t like how it works.

People buy the actual kit to remove the sometimes problematic parts from the engine. Or after they have failed and do not want to re installed the MDS parts.

silver billet

Reaction score
a tune can simply turn it off for those who don’t like how it works.

People buy the actual kit to remove the sometimes problematic parts from the engine. Or after they have failed and do not want to re installed the MDS parts.

People tune the MDS out even though they don't need to (gear limiter).
People remove MDS even though they can just tune it out.
People remove MDS even though it doesn't fix the lifter issue, and some have even had lifter failure again in a "rebuilt" hemi which had MDS removed. Some have had lifter failures in hemis that NEVER HAD MDS installed (6 speed challenger).

MDS doesn't cause lifter failure. The lifters are destroyed in the BOTTOM of the lifter, the needle bearings, which then stop rolling, which then takes out the cam lobes. None of that has anything to do with MDS, and both MDS lifters and non-MDS lifters in the same engine have failed.

Can't make it any clearer than this but you believe what you want.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

cf80349c944f672449c24960247fa329.jpg

Update on this. They had his truck for a week. Still can’t pinpoint the issue. So they are Buying it back and he is getting a gladiator tomorrow.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Unfortunately we won’t have a ending to this.

Apparently they even had a special tech come in and try and fix it. But it’s intermittent when it stays locked in v4 mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/