5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jepalmer27

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Limited. Going down the Interstate these are my temperatures. Im thinking the Oil Temp Sensor is faulty. anyone know where the sensor is at?

Attachments

• 20240127_161214.jpg
    20240127_161214.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 52

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 Limited. Going down the Interstate these are my temperatures. Im thinking the Oil Temp Sensor is faulty. anyone know where the sensor is at?
I hope that is faulty, or you got a problem. I havnt even hit that temp going 100+.

First things first is drain and change that oil and put fresh syn oil in and see what happens.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It looks faulty, it's usually correlated with coolant temp, which seems very normal looking so that type of oil temp doesn't make sense.

However, I would definitely have it brought in a shop for inspection in case you have a real problem and not a simple sensor.

U

User_3336

If that says 271, you have issues somewhere. (I think I read that right).

If it says 221, then you have a defective display, and nothing wrong with the oil temp.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
These seem a little high to me but this is climbing a hill at lower speeds and not towing anything. I am usually stuck in gears 5-6 doing 83+ and I have 3.21 gear ratio. IMG_4659.JPG

GMetal

Reaction score
Id be alarmed at oil temps over 235. Need to get that checked. Those bearing are hot hot hot.

silver billet

Reaction score
These seem a little high to me but this is climbing a hill at lower speeds and not towing anything. I am usually stuck in gears 5-6 doing 83+ and I have 3.21 gear ratio. View attachment 184381

I have never seen temps > 225 in my truck unless I was towing. Then I spiked to about 240 to 250.

Best thing for these trucks? Delete all but 2 rows of your AGS, then put in a 180 tstat. Your temps will drop like a rock.

My truck now runs at the same temp towing, that it used to run unloaded. I have not gotten past 230 yet while towing, even up a few grades.

Unloaded, it runs at 197 to 200, towing in 6th gear for hours it runs at 225 ish.

Edit: "stuck in gears 5-6 doing 83" sounds like there is an issue. I have 3.21 and it loves 8th gear, it will run there already at 50 mph and hold it all the way to 80 which is as fast as I go in my truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never seen temps > 225 in my truck unless I was towing. Then I spiked to about 240 to 250.

Best thing for these trucks? Delete all but 2 rows of your AGS, then put in a 180 tstat. Your temps will drop like a rock.

My truck now runs at the same temp towing, that it used to run unloaded. I have not gotten past 230 yet while towing, even up a few grades.

Unloaded, it runs at 197 to 200, towing in 6th gear for hours it runs at 225 ish.

Edit: "stuck in gears 5-6 doing 83" sounds like there is an issue. I have 3.21 and it loves 8th gear, it will run there already at 50 mph and hold it all the way to 80 which is as fast as I go in my truck.
Without a tune for the 180 stay, it won't do much

SD Rebel

Reaction score
These seem a little high to me but this is climbing a hill at lower speeds and not towing anything. I am usually stuck in gears 5-6 doing 83+ and I have 3.21 gear ratio. View attachment 184381

Oil temps does seem a little high for not towing, it's usually about 10F higher than coolant under stress without a load. However, it can go as high as 285F before you get a warning on the cluster, usually something as aggressive towing near the limit up a gradient for several miles at full throttle.

When cruising around normally, what is your typical oil temp at? If it's close to your coolant temps, then it's likely as you said normal for that particular slower climb you are doing.

GMetal

Reaction score
I was really surprised when I first got my truck. The coolant temps were regularly near or slightly above 220 in the summer in Texas. That fan sounded like jet at take off. I could see the heat rising from the cowl. Seems normal for these trucks.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was really surprised when I first got my truck. The coolant temps were regularly near or slightly above 220 in the summer in Texas. That fan sounded like jet at take off. I could see the heat rising from the cowl. Seems normal for these trucks.

I think the thermostat range is 204 - 220 or so, the fan usually kicks in at about 230F, at least on my 2019.

I typically don't see above 220F unless I'm in stop and go traffic or stuck at a stop light for a while. Even very slowly creeping up an off-road trail in the height of summer heat, I don't see more than 230F before it shoots down to 220F before the fan cuts off.

GMetal

Reaction score
I think the thermostat range is 204 - 220 or so, the fan usually kicks in at about 230F, at least on my 2019.

I typically don't see above 220F unless I'm in stop and go traffic or stuck at a stop light for a while. Even very slowly creeping up an off-road trail in the height of summer heat, I don't see more than 230F before it shoots down to 220F before the fan cuts off.
My fan seems variable. Likely a PWM setup I assume since there is a sense wire. At normal operation its blowing air but I can hear it ramp up at higher temps. I have yet to dive into HP tuners options and see how its setup with the fan control.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My fan seems variable. Likely a PWM setup I assume since there is a sense wire. At normal operation its blowing air but I can hear it ramp up at higher temps. I have yet to dive into HP tuners options and see how its setup with the fan control.

That would be awesome, maybe have the fan turn on a little earlier, not effecting the stock thermostat setup. I suspect the fan programming maybe different from years to years?

What's the lowest temp you've heard your fans turn on?

RamJam86

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum. My temp gauge seems to stay pretty consistent at the mid line or just below, but every now and then when I’m driving my 2025 1500 with the v6 3.6L gets up to between 232°-238° one time it spiked to 240°. Dealer and service department say it’s fine since no lights came on to warn me and it cut back down to around 212° right after. Truck is brand new, only 5 days off the lot. Is this a major issue? My old Ram never did this with the 5.7 Hemi so it does concern me even though they tell me I’m covered under warranty and it’s nothing to worry about. Now temps have been around upper 80’s to low 90’s and it has been a mix of consistent driving and stop and go since I’m in a high traffic area.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum. My temp gauge seems to stay pretty consistent at the mid line or just below, but every now and then when I’m driving my 2025 1500 with the v6 3.6L gets up to between 232°-238° one time it spiked to 240°. Dealer and service department say it’s fine since no lights came on to warn me and it cut back down to around 212° right after. Truck is brand new, only 5 days off the lot. Is this a major issue? My old Ram never did this with the 5.7 Hemi so it does concern me even though they tell me I’m covered under warranty and it’s nothing to worry about. Now temps have been around upper 80’s to low 90’s and it has been a mix of consistent driving and stop and go since I’m in a high traffic area.
When do you see these spikes in temp?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Normally when I’m climbing a hill and accelerating. On occasion it’s during acceleration on flatter ground that I see 230 or so.
Efan probably doesn't come in until 225, active grill shutters help keep airflow down. I'd start with making sure your coolant is full.

But newer engineer they run them hotter for lower emissions. About 30 years ago, 220 was overheating. Now some cars come with 215 degree thermostat

RamJam86

Reaction score
Efan probably doesn't come in until 225, active grill shutters help keep airflow down. I'd start with making sure your coolant is full.

But newer engineer they run them hotter for lower emissions. About 30 years ago, 220 was overheating. Now some cars come with 215 degree thermostat
Yes coolant is full. It wasn’t when I bought it last Friday and I had them fill it.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
My truck has always been at....
Coolant temp: 210 +/-5
Transmission temp: 190 +/-5
Oil temp: 220 +/-5
Oil pressure: 45-48psi

RamJam86

Reaction score
My truck has always been at....
Coolant temp: 210 +/-5
Transmission temp: 190 +/-5
Oil temp: 220 +/-5
Oil pressure: 45-48psi
See my truck is at 31 psi for oil pressure. Oil and trans temps are about where yours are. It’s my coolant that worries me since it runs between 215-228 but gets to over 230 at times. No leaks that I am aware of, no warning lights and the gauges stay consistent so I might just be overthinking it since it’s a brand new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/