5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Tailgate Ajar Warning (MY22)

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think I remember someone saying if you removed tailgate access panel and you only had 2 wires going too passenger side of tailgate you’d have too replace wiring so you had 4 wires
That's correct. And you need the proper latch.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where does the other end of harness plug to? Trying to see if snaking the harness is required before i pull the trigger on this.
No snaking is required.
In the picture with the connectors, the one marked "old" remains. It is in the tailgate. Plug the new harness into it.

The new harness, like the old, has three connectors; left latch, right latch, connector to main wire harness, marked "old" .

The only difference between the harnesses is two more conductors between the right latch and the center connector. Those are necessary for the latch position switch signal.

The existing two conductors on both sides operate the latch solenoids.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No snaking is required.
In the picture with the connectors, the one marked "old" remains. It is in the tailgate. Plug the new harness into it.

The new harness, like the old, has three connectors; left latch, right latch, connector to main wire harness.
roger that. seems very easy to do. Will order parts this week!

palmer64

Reaction score
Yes, it's very easy. Everything is within reach under the access panel.

The new harness comes with all the plastic retainers already installed.
I’ll be ordering the part’s tomorrow and try and figure out what I need as far as having everything too enable it! Thanks for the info guys

palmer64

Reaction score
Got the new latch and harness installed. Just curious can I use Jscan too activate the tailgate ajar? Have an I phone

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the new latch and harness installed. Just curious can I use Jscan too activate the tailgate ajar? Have an I phone
I think you should be able to use it. I haven't used Jscan so I'm not too much help.
Android user here.

palmer64

Reaction score
Will do, hard too find any info on jscan here. Apparently alphaobd is the way too go

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will do, hard too find any info on jscan here. Apparently alphaobd is the way too go
Yeah, I am found the same thing. It is not as vertical as AlfaODB which is probably why it is not as popular. I found Jscan to work great on my Wrangler's. Super easy and very functional. The Facebook group for Jscan is helpful but if you dont have a Jeep there isnt much info there.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone else completely missing this on their (2022) truck? I was reading about how people didn't have this active from the factory and were using AlfaOBD to turn it on. Then I saw a comment from someone who said this didn't work on their MY2022. So I double-checked my build sheet and sure enough, no mention of tailgate ajar warning at all.

Not sure what I'm more upset about; the fact that it's completely missing, or the fact that I didn't notice until now.

And lastly, I'm guessing not but is there a way to add this functionality? I consider this a semi-serious safety issue. If my tailgate pops open on the highway I won't know anything about it.
Hey there,

We'd like to hear more about this. Would you be willing to send us a DM with some more information?

Callie
Ram Cares

Nels

Reaction score
The tailgate ajar warning has never shown itself on my 2019 Laramie. Both my window sticker and my build sheet indictate the truck has it, yet on 2 different occasions when I've asked my dealer to activate it they've said my truck did not come with this function. Anyone else have this situation?

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
The tailgate ajar warning has never shown itself on my 2019 Laramie. Both my window sticker and my build sheet indictate the truck has it, yet on 2 different occasions when I've asked my dealer to activate it they've said my truck did not come with this function. Anyone else have this situation?
I was into the dealer yesterday and asked to have my light turned they came out with a case number and even though mine had the correct sales code I didn't have the right package so they couldn't activate it.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Its so bizarre that RAM has made something like a tailgate open light an option on trucks that cost this much money, its mind blowing really. I had a 1989 honda civic that had a trunk open light, I think it was even standard equipment 🤣

Ruger

Reaction score
My 23 Laramie doesn’t have it. Might have to add it if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online