5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Tailgate Ajar Warning (MY22)

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
I checked my 2020 BH and when I opened the tailgate the jumper was there. I then took my ALFA OBD and with instructions found on this forum activated it. It sounds like a cr*p shoot as to whether wiring harnesses are there or not.

mainjet

Reaction score
Very nice write up and pictures.

I have a ‘23 Limited and I need to add this. do you happen to know if these same part numbers work on the 23? I don’t feel like I can order them online because they just don’t give enough info and with the ‘23 being new it seems they are really short of any info on those yet.

i have a tonneau on my truck which of course blocks my view of the tailgate. I came home from work the other day (hour+ drive) and went straight in the house. When I came back out we got in my wife’s car and backed up to leave when I saw my tailgate was down. It must have come down somewhere along the way and I didn’t know it. Maybe the button on the fob in my pocket got presses against something, I don’t t know. But I am kind of miffed that you buy a limited and something as basic as a tailgate ajar light is not a standard thing. My feeling is anything that should be closed that can cause people or items to fall from a vehicle should have a warning light and be standard. The hood, the passenger doors, the tailgate.

I have rain sensing wipers that if it senses moisture the wipers come on but if my tailgate is accidentally down I know nothing.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very nice write up and pictures.

I have a ‘23 Limited and I need to add this. do you happen to know if these same part numbers work on the 23? I don’t feel like I can order them online because they just don’t give enough info and with the ‘23 being new it seems they are really short of any info on those yet.

i have a tonneau on my truck which of course blocks my view of the tailgate. I came home from work the other day (hour+ drive) and went straight in the house. When I came back out we got in my wife’s car and backed up to leave when I saw my tailgate was down. It must have come down somewhere along the way and I didn’t know it. Maybe the button on the fob in my pocket got presses against something, I don’t t know. But I am kind of miffed that you buy a limited and something as basic as a tailgate ajar light is not a standard thing. My feeling is anything that should be closed that can cause people or items to fall from a vehicle should have a warning light and be standard. The hood, the passenger doors, the tailgate.

I have rain sensing wipers that if it senses moisture the wipers come on but if my tailgate is accidentally down I know nothing.
Thank you.

I can't be 100% certain, but I would think they're the same for your '23. Did you take off the access panel and see what hardware you have? If not, do that and compare to the pictures. The only thing you are adding, if it's not already there, is a switch in the new right latch and two conductors with the new harness that provide the signal to the BCM.

I have a tonneau cover too and the lack of visibility was my concern too, and it's nice to have and easy to install.

There is at least one setting you have to enable in AlfaOBD for the Tailgate Ajar and possibly one more that lets the BCM know the new condutors are connected to the main harness. Search for "Tailgate Ajar Indication" and "Connector F Pin 26". They need to be enabled.

Good luck!

mainjet

Reaction score
Thank you.

I can't be 100% certain, but I would think they're the same for your '23. Did you take off the access panel and see what hardware you have? If not, do that and compare to the pictures. The only thing you are adding, if it's not already there, is a switch in the new right latch and two conductors with the new harness that provide the signal to the BCM.

I have a tonneau cover too and the lack of visibility was my concern too, and it's nice to have and easy to install.

There is at least one setting you have to enable in AlfaOBD for the Tailgate Ajar and possibly one more that lets the BCM know the new condutors are connected to the main harness. Search for "Tailgate Ajar Indication" and "Connector F Pin 26". They need to be enabled.

Good luck!
Thanks. I am just about to take the panel off to check that.I do have the alphaOBD stuff so I am also about to hook that up for the first time.

so far I have resorted to turning on my backup camera occasionally along my trip to reassure myself the gate is up.

mainjet

Reaction score
Thank you.

Good luck!
I looked in the tailgate and it looks like I don’t have the necessary latch or wires so I ordered the part numbers you showed.
here is what I have now.
A66F7345-25DF-46EA-868F-DE1F6FBEDF58.jpeg
995E7FC3-8109-4C02-8022-7C3BC08105AA.jpeg

tron3212

Reaction score
Just checked my truck and saw it had all the updated latch and plug. looks like the CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26: Truck/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present was set to "no". Went in with AlphaOBD and enabled it. All works good now... Interesting it did not show this as a specific option on my window sticker, but all the wiring was there.

jaymo1500

Reaction score
Went ahead and got the parts as prescribed both the latch and the 4 pin harness and it was super easy to install. i activated the feature within Alpha but it seems its only half working. after activating the feature and then starting up and put it in drive there is still no indication the tailgate is open. only when i put it in reverse does it say tailgate open along with park sense detecting the back wall of my garage. There is no icon like the door ajar that shows up in drive. anyone have insight?

the bed lights now come on with opening the tailgate so that's a win...

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Just checked my truck and saw it had all the updated latch and plug. looks like the CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26: Truck/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present was set to "no". Went in with AlphaOBD and enabled it. All works good now... Interesting it did not show this as a specific option on my window sticker, but all the wiring was there.
what is on the build sheet?

jaymo1500

Reaction score
**EDIT**

I went back and scrolled through the Car Configuration Change list and found the option for "ECUConfig 4: Tailgate Ajar Indication". I turned that on and now i have everything i was looking for. EVIC tailgate open icon now displays as well as the splash indication when you put it in gear. So just to summarize, if anyone else is looking to make this work on a 2022 Ram 1500, you need:

Part #'s:
68311435AD Jumper wiring harness (This will replace the current harness to both latches under that tailgate panel)
68312079AM Right side power gate latch with sensor

Tools:
- T-30 Torx bit
- T-45 Torx bit
- Panel popper screw driver
- Alpha OBD app and bluetooth dongle

You will need to activate in Alpha OBD:
CBC Config I/O: Connector F Pin 26 - Set to Yes
ECUConfig 4: Tailgate Ajar Indication - Set to Yes

100% works.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Hi,

When ya'll say right, do you mean passenger side? I checked mine, and I only have the two wires (both sides). And I see the correct part number needed in your previous posts. Still curious tho, right means passenger side?

Attachments

• A0982D2A-5A6D-47BE-906B-DB9DA5C7DD7A.jpeg
    A0982D2A-5A6D-47BE-906B-DB9DA5C7DD7A.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

When ya'll say right, do you mean passenger side? I checked mine, and I only have the two wires (both sides). And I see the correct part number needed in your previous posts. Still curious tho, right means passenger side?
Yes, passenger. Right - as if you're seated in the truck looking forward.

You'll need the latch and cable.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
I ordered these:

ItemPart #
Jumper Wiring [Locking Tailgate], [Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp]68467817AA
Tailgate Latch, Right68312079AM

I have not confirmed these parts work--yet.

Per Mopar Parts Surplus, 68311435AD is for 2019, and 68467817AA is for most 2020 to 2023 models (which includes my 2022 Bighorn). As mentioned in other posts in this thread, 68311435AD has worked for others making this mod.

I had surgery on my hand. Once I am able, and once I have the parts and have time to install, I'll confirm back to this thread. I assume this will take until at least until mid-March. My point in posting now is to show there is another part out there.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered these:

ItemPart #
Jumper Wiring [Locking Tailgate], [Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp]68467817AA
Tailgate Latch, Right68312079AM

I have not confirmed these parts work--yet.

Per Mopar Parts Surplus, 68311435AD is for 2019, and 68467817AA is for most 2020 to 2023 models (which includes my 2022 Bighorn). As mentioned in other posts in this thread, 68311435AD has worked for others making this mod.

I had surgery on my hand. Once I am able, and once I have the parts and have time to install, I'll confirm back to this thread. I assume this will take until at least until mid-March. My point in posting now is to show there is another part out there.
get well soon dude.
ill order 68467817AA when you confirm it works.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
This is very interesting. I searched and searched to see if perhaps after I install the harness and latch I could have the dealer add the LAN sales code to my VIN. Look what I found in the link below. This also explains why this feature does not work in some Rams and works others.

I’m still going to try to see if the dealer will add sales code LAN to my configuration (I seriously doubt it but I will try).

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is very interesting. I searched and searched to see if perhaps after I install the harness and latch I could have the dealer add the LAN sales code to my VIN. Look what I found in the link below. This also explains why this feature does not work in some Rams and works others.

I’m still going to try to see if the dealer will add sales code LAN to my configuration (I seriously doubt it but I will try).
i think it was discussed somewhere above that non MFT do not have these harness and latch (hence the "engineering change")
but if you add the harness and latch (the hardware) and get the sales code written in (software) it should work as both hardware and software are present.

palmer64

Reaction score
Installed the latch and new harness for tailgate, had someone enable with AlfaOBD but get nothing in drive and this pops up in reverse. Needless too say something ain’t right lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online