5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck, Chrysler holding it hostage.

Zambalis

Reaction score
Nov 30, 2018 I bought a brand new off the truck 2019 Laramie longhorn. Had all the fixings bells and whistles. One thing bothered me at the dealership. The side mirrors hit the window.

Speaking with my sales person, she went back to service and came back to me with two answers to two questions I had.

1. Is there a fix for the mirrors?
2. Can we tint the front windows to match the rear?

She said the service manager on duty said that there was a recent software patch that limited the movement by a hair to avoid hitting the window and would have to be brought in and flashed. Seeing as I wanted the tint done I said ok and I bought the truck. Set my appointment for exactly 3 days.

Drove a whole 33 miles before bringing it back to get the tint and what would seem like a one day total fix.

Today I just got a call from the service manager stating that Chrysler won’t release the vehicle back to me until the engineer figures out a solution to the mirrors. That’s over a month long wait with apologies and excuses. Always the same thing, “we have a star report pending and can’t give you back your truck because the engineer needs to run test”. Ok I get it and all. But I just also paid my first payment and bought the tags for a truck I don’t have and there is nothing Chrysler is willing to do about it.

I love the look of the truck, the way the seats fit me well. Hell even the 12” screen is over kill but I enjoy it. However my Chevy has never had an issue where the dealership tells me they cannot give it back.

I’m very dissatisfied with the communication and consideration for the customer in this whole endeavor. I told them I have been reading forums about this problem that is not being fixed and the response was. Don’t believe those forums competition pays for them to be there.

So did a Chrysler dealership just say all of you are fake people with fake questions and problems? I think so.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Um, what?! Wow. I’ve been waiting since early September for a few minor parts, but I’ve been enjoying my truck the whole time (minus 2-3 days with the truck at the dealer for diagnosis).

KRField

Reaction score
Good luck with STAR!

I like most with a base stereo Bighorn had issue with ANC grossly overcompensating crying around 1500-2000 rpm. Tech and STAR had no clue after the TSB for module replacement “fix”. STAR wanted them to keep the vehicle to run full system diagnostics. However, dealer said FCA would not allow a loaner due to not being a drivability issue. I said no way as I need my vehicle and sourced the wiring diagram and fixed it myself. I disconnected the ANC, which I don’t miss, and everything is good.

Short story is nobody has clue to fix bugs and it’s all trial and error. You have a good chance at finding a fix before they do.

My Bighorn mirrors fold within a quarter inch of the window. I wonder if the 360 camera makes the housing slightly bigger and the gearing in the housings are the same across the board.

Maybe a way to open the mirror and tweak the motors. Just thinking out load, may cause other issues. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacDuff

Reaction score
I'm a Service Director at a high line store, former Chrysler Service Director (28 years of pain...err.. experience).
My take is that you own the vehicle, they must release it to you. While they may be working on a patch (my ram does the same thing), they surely don't need your vehicle as a guinea pig to develop a fix.

I would pick up the vehicle, drive and enjoy it, and ask them to give you a ring when they have a fix.
The service department will always have a lot on their plate, so if you don't hear anything after a reasonable time period, give them a ring and check in with them for an update.
I'm sure we'll have a few software updates along the way given it's a brand new model, goes with the territory on owning a first year vehicle.
At the end of the day, I think they've built a great truck!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are an extremely patient person. You bought the truck, yeah, it sucks, there is a minor issue with it so in the interim, you can turn the auto fold mirror option off until a fix is released but for them to keep YOUR TRUCK? I call BS! I have this odd feeling something happened with your truck that they don’t want to tell you about and are trying to buy time to fix it.

I could be wrong, I hope I am but I would drive to that dealership first thing in the morning and demand your truck that they have been paid for. If they deny you, escalate it throughout the building, nicely of course until you drive it home.

jk101

Reaction score
I'd go demand MY truck back or threaten to lawyer up

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My side mirrors bump the windows when they fold.

Yep. Me too. I just haven't bothered telling the dealer about it yet. Figured I'd do it at my first oil change. Might not if they decide to keep it for a month! Geesh OP. That's nuts.

Zambalis

Reaction score
Um, what?! Wow. I’ve been waiting since early September for a few minor parts, but I’ve been enjoying my truck the whole time (minus 2-3 days with the truck at the dealer for diagnosis).
Seriously!!! I've been waiting since December 3rd. After speaking with the Service Manager he informed me that the "engineering department" wanted some videos and measurements. etc.. The dealership owner is a personal friend of mine and he said the same thing. When Crysler request that they hold the vehicle they have to hold it. I dont know if I'm being lied to or someone is driving it around having fun, but I'm really irritated and in 20+ years of driving and owning vehicles I've never had a vehicle held like this.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously!!! I've been waiting since December 3rd. After speaking with the Service Manager he informed me that the "engineering department" wanted some videos and measurements. etc.. The dealership owner is a personal friend of mine and he said the same thing. When Crysler request that they hold the vehicle they have to hold it. I dont know if I'm being lied to or someone is driving it around having fun, but I'm really irritated and in 20+ years of driving and owning vehicles I've never had a vehicle held like this.

Ask for your truck back man. Perhaps PM @RamCares if you need assistance. Last resort, tell them you'll be forced to explore all appropriate legal avenues if necessary. That will likely get the ball rolling quickly. We are talking about a mirror here, not a power steering failure or transmission stall.

XDBrad

Reaction score
I’d walk in there and demand my property, if they refuse to give it to you I’d call the 5-0 and let them tell the dealer they have no right to keep your property from you. Better yet, if you have the extra set of keys, just take it... not like you’re stealing it.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
If @RamCares would really care they’d open a sub forum or thread here to track issues and inform on TSBs / fixes as they come out and / or give some sort of feedback on where they stand with the issues... honestly i think we all know it’s a brand new model year and we knew there are going to be problems but there is no excuse for how poorly @RamCares / fca is handling this they basically give a ****...

As for keeping the truck I am not so sure if they could decide that it’s not street safe and would not release it driving off the dealership property... but the bumping mirrors seriously can’t be that kind of an issue... I’d go there and demand it back one last time and then it would be time to get a lawyer... potentially anyways since it might be worth looking into weather they at least owe you the one month payment... and if this dealership owner was my friend and they’d do something like this frankly friendship would be over...

Zambalis

Reaction score
is that possible? :ROFLMAO:
Well, no one thought it was possible either until the windows were down and we closed the mirrors and when we went to roll up the windows it hit the mirrors. They claimed to check a few other trucks and only half of them did and the other half did not. From reading other peoples post on this very forum, I'm not the only one. Just seems like I've become the guinea pig.

Zambalis

Reaction score
I’d walk in there and demand my property, if they refuse to give it to you I’d call the 5-0 and let them tell the dealer they have no right to keep your property from you. Better yet, if you have the extra set of keys, just take it... not like you’re stealing it.

Except knowing my luck it would be in the service bay and i would get hit for breaking and entering or something. lol

Zambalis

Reaction score
If @RamCares would really care they’d open a sub forum or thread here to track issues and inform on TSBs / fixes as they come out and / or give some sort of feedback on where they stand with the issues... honestly i think we all know it’s a brand new model year and we knew there are going to be problems but there is no excuse for how poorly @RamCares / fca is handling this they basically give a ****...

As for keeping the truck I am not so sure if they could decide that it’s not street safe and would not release it driving off the dealership property... but the bumping mirrors seriously can’t be that kind of an issue... I’d go there and demand it back one last time and then it would be time to get a lawyer... potentially anyways since it might be worth looking into weather they at least owe you the one month payment... and if this dealership owner was my friend and they’d do something like this frankly friendship would be over...

Im feeling the same way you are on this. You know whats even worse is now i have to listen to my brother make fun of me about his Ford works just fine and he told me so. I am goign to discuss with them about the one month problem and see where that goes.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Just checked it on my truck they bump into the windows as well, however they go back a notch and stay clear from the window in the end position

Zambalis

Reaction score
Yep. Me too. I just haven't bothered telling the dealer about it yet. Figured I'd do it at my first oil change. Might not if they decide to keep it for a month! Geesh OP. That's nuts.

I wonder if i can take it to another ram dealership or am i required to take it to this one.

Zambalis

Reaction score
You are an extremely patient person. You bought the truck, yeah, it sucks, there is a minor issue with it so in the interim, you can turn the auto fold mirror option off until a fix is released but for them to keep YOUR TRUCK? I call BS! I have this odd feeling something happened with your truck that they don’t want to tell you about and are trying to buy time to fix it.

I could be wrong, I hope I am but I would drive to that dealership first thing in the morning and demand your truck that they have been paid for. If they deny you, escalate it throughout the building, nicely of course until you drive it home.

Im a patient minister, but that doesnt mean im not irritated and trying to benoevolant. Probably something i need to learn in all this. I am going there in the morning and I want to see it my self. I am already talking to an attorney friend of mine and waiting for him to get back to me.

fat trout

Reaction score
My mirrors bump. I dont give a hoot. No way im leaving it in there that long without a loaner. Im with the guy before who said hed call the police if necessary. Its your property...end of story.

Oh and if its not street safe by their definition....then its a driveability issue. Cough up the loaner.

NYRAM

Reaction score
Not sure what state you are from but in New York it would be grounds to be lemon lawed after 30 days. I would say give me my truck now and if they say no just let them no your lawer will be in contact with them very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread