5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck, Chrysler holding it hostage.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA has to notify you in writing if there is reason to hold your vehicle outside of a scheduled repair. The written notice protects everyone and informs all involved of the legal obligations of all parties involved (FCA, the dealer and you) and the parameters of the investigation or repair.

I believe in Canada they can't hold your vehicle even in a safety recall if parts aren't available and or equivalent loaner isn't provided.

I personally would have my truck home already and would be picking up my spare key in the morning, no explanation needed to be given to your shady dealer.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i had crylser contact me asking for more information because my attorney friend made some inquiries. Im going with my attorney to the dealership first thing in the morning to get eyes on it and go from there.

Good call. I hope you’ll be there bright and early. Very interested to see how this plays out, especially since FCA doesn’t have record of what the dealership is saying. Best of luck bud.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought mine hit the window, based on the sound and a slight upward movement. When they meet the stop, it sounds just like a thump on the glass. I checked closely and they actually don't hit the glass.

RenoRam

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have the patience for that type nonsense and would be in their face. Wish you the best of luck and hope it works out in your favor.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
My bet, they damaged the truck in some way.

I have never heard of anything like this. Maybe, if it was a lease, and its still theirs in title, that'd be a different story.

The last 7 posts to this thread didnt load for me, maybe you did say it was a lease in those. I just didnt read that anywhere.

And THEN... dont believe the forums????? The competition pays for them to be there??? What in the holy heck? I mean, what? Wheres MY check from Ford and GM? I want my paycheck!

They wont "release" it.. dude, i am so irritated right now.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Please. Please, go get your truck back. Unless it was Leased.

I am bothered.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
When you lease, you have no ownership. You pay a lease for the right to drive the car.

When you pay cash, you have full title and ownership.

When you finance, you have ownership, with the bank lienholder reserving the right to hold lien on titled ownership until their credit is paid.

If...IF there is a clause in a lease that states that if the leasing company wants to keep a vehicle in 100% correct operating condition and has a right to keep the car until it is in 100% operating condition, then the leasing company, as the owner, MAY have a right to do so. A Lessee does not have any ownership. The Lessor does.

Its just my speculation, but makes sense to me.

If a Landlord finds his house hes renting in disrepair, he has a right to get it fixed.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
The argument about giving me back "my car" from the dealership, i think, may change a little.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you lease, you have no ownership. You pay a lease for the right to drive the car.

When you finance, you have ownership, with the bank lienholder reserving the right to hold lien on titled ownership until their credit is paid.

If...IF there is a clause in a lease that states that if the leasing company wants to keep a vehicle in 100% correct operating condition and has a right to keep the car until it is in 100% operating condition, then the leasing company, as the owner, MAY have a right to do so. A Lessee does not have any ownership. The Lessor does.

If a Landlord finds his house hes renting in disrepair, he has a right to get it fixed.
I disagree. Not all trucks are leased directly from FCA therefore if you leased through a bank like i did i highly highly doubt my bank communicates with FCA. So my bank wouldn't even know my truck is at a dealership getting worked on. Even if your truck is leased through FCA i still doubt they can just hold onto it without a legal cause or notification of why and if so they would have to keep it and cancel your lease.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I totally disagree. Whether owned or leased they have no right to hold the vehicle.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I get it.

All i said up there, was basically, if it were my truck, say titled as in ownership, i would demand it back because it is my truck. No one BUT me has a right to it.

But if i am not an owner, someone other than me owns it, so I would be more apprehensive about it.... say, I maybe wouldnt use the same method.

Im not claiming to know the legalities, because I dont. But what I do know, is that a lessee does not own the vehicle, not even in part.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get it.

All i said up there, was basically, if it were my truck, say titled as in ownership, i would demand it back because it is my truck. No one BUT me has a right to it.

But if i am not an owner, someone other than me owns it, so I would be more apprehensive about it.... say, I maybe wouldnt use the same method.

Im not claiming to know the legalities, because I dont. But what I do know, is that a lessee does not own the vehicle, not even in part.
Trust me, leasing makes zero difference here. They have no right to hold the truck. He needs to go get it back.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I trust you.

I cant think of a reason theyd have a right to keep it, FCA, Chrysler Capital, nor the dealership themselves.

I have been Googling this...Findlaw, etc... no set of search terms is finding anything close to a dealership service department refusing to give back a car. Just a bunch of cases about denying warranty work and the usual... like the old yoyo finance frauds. But nothing on this type.

Its bizarro-world.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I trust you.

I cant think of a reason theyd have a right to keep it, FCA, Chrysler Capital, nor the dealership themselves.

I have been Googling this...Findlaw, etc... no set of search terms is finding anything close to a dealership service department refusing to give back a car. Just a bunch of cases about denying warranty work and the usual... like the old yoyo finance frauds. But nothing on this type.

Its bizarro-world.
Yeah I'm curious to see what happens when he goes to retrieve the truck. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread