5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck, Chrysler holding it hostage.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I was feeling under the weather these last few days but here is the update.

As of today I still do not have possession of the truck. However Monday I did speak with the owner of the dealership. He called me late at night at home and discussed how sorry and what not. He reiterated that Chrysler requested them to keep it and he doesn’t want to go against Chrysler but wanted to make it right so they comped my window tint $60 bucks and because I was asking questions about the cover they “went ahead and wanted to show a sign of good faith and donate it for all the trouble”.

The next day(yesterday) I was still feeling under the weather and I just slept in and kept my phone turned off, when I got up I had 3 missed calls from the dealership and two from Chrysler.

They responded to an inquiry my attorney made into the legality of this whole mess. Chrysler informed me that they would see that I got my truck ASAP. Shortly after the messages from the dealership corresponded to what they Chrysler guy said on his message. The dealership called to apologize and wanted me to know I could come pick up my truck at any time. To which I have to travel to an important meeting over a 100 miles in the other direction. So it seems, unless the wool is completely over my eyes I’ll have my truck by tomorrow evening or Friday morning.

I was told that contacting @ramtrucks on Facebook was how I got their attention and then the public embarrassment of a legal issue sealed the deal for their attention. I was also encouraged to take the truck for service to a different dealership.

What got me irritated wasn’t this whole mess, it’s that the dealership informed me that Chrysler’s was able to continue the trial and error on the mirrors with out my truck as about 50% of them are doing it and they could have just called me In to get worked on when a fix was ready. They told me they knew this info over two weeks ago and didn’t find it relevant.

Depending on how I am treated when I pick up the truck will determine if I persue them for a monthly payment etc. they already wrote off 1400$ of something I was just window shopping and would have eventually bought.

So that’s it. I guess. Legal threats buckled and brought out the lies. Thank you for all the feedback and information. All of it was very helpful and a learning experience

So sounds like bad communication between the dealer and FCA even, if they didnt know if they had to hold it or not. Then stupidity of them thinking it wasn't relevant they didnt need your truck, sounds like no one cared enough to try to get it back to you, apparently they dont think it's a big deal if you're without a vehicle. They could hold a vehicle that's on lot anywhere or even at factory to do their tests on. why would they have ever had to hold a customers?
Way I look at it at least they covered more than what your payment was and you got something you would have wanted out of it. Guess you'll have to decide if it makes up for the hassle, glad to hear everything is clearing up though!

fat trout

Reaction score
Unfortunately many people are just operating in their own little silo and don't think outside of it or ask questions. I imagine this as some young FCA engineer and clueless dealer service advisor. Engineer thinking "cool I have a truck I can have experiments done on to solve my mirror questions" not considering the truck has an owner. Service advisor who just does what he's told and figures....FCA wants it and they pay us to work on it....I'll keep it. Neither of these folks thinking outside of their little box. It took the OP finally getting upset and a lawyer involved for the "parents" to finally enter the room.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aaaaaand the award for "Sketchiest Dealer of the Year" goes toooooo....

Since your "friend the dealer owner" has had his pants pulled down, I would highly suggest you demand compensation of any payments made, for every day you didn't have your truck. The $60 tint rebate and a tonneau cover would have infuriated me. Nice gestures are covers for incompetence.

The fact that you were lied to for a month is mind boggling. Over a mirror issue. The key fob not working... all of it smells of your friend being lazy and taking advantage of your good nature, all while you are making payments. His dealership should refund you one months payment on top of the other freebies.

Aaand I'm spent.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Some dealers are great and others are horrible. I once had a VW dealer pull a couple of relays out of the dash of my wife's car so they could "test them in a different vehicle." Mind you, this required dismantling the center console and part of the dash of my wife's car. Her car was in for an oil change!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some dealers are great and others are horrible. I once had a VW dealer pull a couple of relays out of the dash of my wife's car so they could "test them in a different vehicle." Mind you, this required dismantling the center console and part of the dash of my wife's car. Her car was in for an oil change!
If it took less than a month, @Zambalis still retains his title as "Most Understanding Man on Earth".

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Thats insane

Zinger

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking may have happened here, and they put the tonneau cover on to store the parts they removed in the process.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
This is so shady, and unusual, nothing made sense...

Im not into conspiracy theories at all.... but this one actually makes me go there.

Something nefarious. I highly doubt this was a mere miscommunucation.

Wonder what the miles difference is on the vehicle now. Like, was someone running packages?

Zambalis

Reaction score
OK, here is the newest and most answered update.

**note** still no vehicle.

Crysler called me yesterday morning, and we went into a detailed day by day conversation based on what they had in the actual system. They talked to me about Star and how they were not Crysler and how dealerships throw it around as such and it causes unnecessary escalation to the wrong companies. They also informed me they have been in direct contact with the Owner of the dealership and the regional Crysler manager as to the situation.

I was told directly that the dealership did, in fact, did NOT submit even a single question to Star until Christmas Eve and that they are not sure, based on the emails and text I sent over, what the dealership was talking about and absolutely couldn't confirm in any way why the need to keep the truck for the initial 3 weeks and why they blamed it on crysler. They sent me over a semi-confidential document that I had to digitally sign stating I wouldn't share the details and such, but basically confirming all documentation Crysler holds on each VIN. They also informed me that they suggested that I receive compensation in the form of monthly payments from the dealership but suggested multiple times I should get it in writing and also switch dealerships.

So at this time I and in accordance with my attorneys' wishes am not picking up the truck as neither of us trusts the word of mouth from the dealership at this moment.

I did also ask the question about the mirrors and what was going to be done. They informed me that Star is working on a software flash to program the mirrors to some smaller number like 95% of rotation so that it doesn't settle against the windows, however, they couldn't speak as to when in my lifetime it would actually happen.

So in summary, Crysler, I feel, without them actually saying it. is taking my side in this so that if this goes to suit they can save face in all of this and the issues that would come out publically wouldn't be marked on them. I'm not sure they care anymore then the dealership, but they were quick to point out the bus if someone was to be thrown under it. I am hoping to get my letter in writing so i can pick up the truck before the weekend. My attorney looked over this post to make sure that I didn't say anything that wasn't true or unable to be proven in court and we are going for a lawsuit if needed. So with that said I will post one more time with me and my truck when its all over.

Thanks, everyone for all your suggestions, humor and support. Ill cya around the forums on other topics

Zambalis

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. Either way, it’s best-left right where it is at this point.
I was standing on grass against a fence, in a pretty good driver and it just wasn't there for me to get it out if I could.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Sir, i wish you would just have them give you a new truck. They already know ur lawyered up.

Lord knows, and they know, what they did to that truck in all this unexplainable time. What, blew the engine and are rebuilding? Rookie Johnny the new tech got busy in it?

Who knows!!!

New truck.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering Chrysler just abandoned that dealer like stinky gym clothes, I'd say your attorney is set up to ask for whatever you feel is fair in the end on this one. Let your lawyer get the proper restitution on this one and find a different dealer eventually.

And by all means, eventually come back when the dust settles and tell us all you can that doesn't violate the confidentiality agreement you'll likely have to sign. :)

Cheers.

Zinger

Reaction score
The first thing Chrysler does when you have an issue is tell you to "go to the dealer." Yet when the dealer screws up, where is Chrysler? Why should you have to pay legal fees against a dealer to get resolution? Chrysler needs to grab the dealer by the balls, force them to transfer the truck to another dealer, IMMEDIATELY, LIKE AS IN TODAY, and have that dealer fully inspect the vehicle. If something is not right then Chrysler needs to buy back and do whatever they need to do to get recourse out of "their" dealer that they like to throw you to whenever you have a problem.

Step up FCA. A customer should not have to fight with a dealer that sells YOUR product. You have plenty of power to govern in this case, and plenty of levers you can pull to make the dealer move on this. Hold back some of the MILLIONS in rebate checks if you need to. It's beyond pitiful that Chrysler is basically happy as a pig in **** that you're going after the dealer and not them, they get an out.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Until your attorney files a case, and the case getsbto the discovery phase (when he or she can request all and every document they want) and subpeonas interviews, there is no way to fully know that FCA didnt actually request to hold the truck.

Until proper disclosure, you really dont know whos at fault here.

You name Jim Glover and FCA in the suit and it starts narrowing down from there, AFTER discovery. The truck was a few days old. No miles.

There is zero reason that someone doesnt settle ans cough up a truck. The depreciation either of them lose will be way less than the attorneys fees of a full case.

Theyd be stupid to not settle and give you a new truck. Period. With a tonneau cover and tint.

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Listen, no judge would make sense of this. You WILL WIN.

Dont go anywhere. Your new truck should be delivered to you.

Users who are viewing this thread