5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Suspension Setups - Help Wanted

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, they say adjustable you just can’t adjust them in the back? Okay I’ll add the Icon 1.5” Springs as well thanks!
The rear Bilstein shocks are not adjustable. They are just said to work for 0-2" of lift. The stock shocks aren't designed for lift.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear Bilstein shocks are not adjustable. They are just said to work for 0-2" of lift. The stock shocks aren't designed for lift.
Okay thanks for the clarification I swear I have it now lol

raygun9

Reaction score
Post pics after

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread, I just bought a 2020 4X4 1500 W/O air suspension. The previous owner had installed, unknown brand to me, air assist bags in the rear springs. I want to level the front to the same as the rear, for a 0 degree rake. Whats the best setup for this?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Bumping this back to the top. Hoping for advise.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bumping this back to the top. Hoping for advise.
Best set up really depends on your budget and useage. Personally, I say Bilstien 5100s for front level. And you really don't want it to have zero rake. Otherwise it will actually look nose high at certain angles.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
What hight do you recommend? I don't like the front end looking higher, but not so low it looks like a 2 wheel drive.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What hight do you recommend? I don't like the front end looking higher, but not so low it looks like a 2 wheel drive.
Clip 5 is a good start. Clip 6 will make you almost perfectly level.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Looking up the Bilstien 5100, they do not come with the Coil springs. The video mentioned you can use OE springs but recommend separate purchase of light, medium or heavy tuned springs. What is the opinion on OE vrs one of theirs, I'd imagine just the light duty would work for me, I only tow and no off roading.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking up the Bilstien 5100, they do not come with the Coil springs. The video mentioned you can use OE springs but recommend separate purchase of light, medium or heavy tuned springs. What is the opinion on OE vrs one of theirs, I'd imagine just the light duty would work for me, I only tow and no off roading.
Just swap over your factory springs. If you don't, you will need to buy the springs as well as the top hat and all the hardware to install the springs to the struts.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I saw that, however there was mention the OE springs are tuned for the OE setup and may experience a different quality in ride. My question is, is it negilable in performance to worry about the extra cost for the Bilstiens springs and just use the OE springs? Obviously its cheaper to use the OE, but will it stiffen the ride?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that, however there was mention the OE springs are tuned for the OE setup and may experience a different quality in ride. My question is, is it negilable in performance to worry about the extra cost for the Bilstiens springs and just use the OE springs? Obviously its cheaper to use the OE, but will it stiffen the ride?
There wasn't even an option for Bilstien springs a couple years ago. I can't say I have ever heard of anyone complain about the ride using the stock springs

HemoDRN

Reaction score
DD54E5CA-3293-4601-95AB-3BB1A6622227.jpeg Suspensionlifts.com sells a kit that comes with bilstein 5100 front struts, 5100 rear shocks and 1 inch rear lift springs. That’s what I used with the front struts set to the highest setting (2.7”) and I used the skyjacker UCAs. Rear is about 1/2” higher. As already mentioned, with your towing, the hellwig rear sway bar and air bags for the rear springs would be a good idea. As for tire size, I have falken wildpeak 285/65r20 on stock rims, no rubbing at all.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is Bilstien 5100s set at clip 6 with stock ORP springs and a 1" rear spacers with 35x12.50x20 tires on stock wheels. I moved my Bilstiens up to clip 6 to compensate for added droop caused by heavier front bumper. This was right after the adjustment. The front did settle about 1/2" after driving some PXL_20230402_191658295.jpg

This was before adjusting the front Bilstiens for the heavier bumper. There was abiut 1.25" rake PXL_20230212_163854168.jpg

And this was before the bumper with Bilstien set to clip 5 on 275/65/29 tires PXL_20221023_201144340.MP~2.jpg

Another thing to notez I am running the Zone Off Road UCAs. When I installed them, they gave me another 1/2" lift in the front on top of the Bilstien 5100's. Which is why I installed the 1" rear spacer, to prevent the perfectly level nose high appearance. 1/2" or 3/4" rear spacer probably would have been suffiy, but I couldn't find any at the time

Numberthyrteen

Reaction score
Assuming you're not picky about getting max ride height, could you have just adjusted the front 5100's down a notch or two and skipped the added rear spacer?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming you're not picky about getting max ride height, could you have just adjusted the front 5100's down a notch or two and skipped the added rear spacer?
I could have, but it's far easier to add a rear spacers than to remove the 5100s to change clip position, and then have to get another alignment done

Numberthyrteen

Reaction score
I could have, but it's far easier to add a rear spacers than to remove the 5100s to change clip position, and then have to get another alignment done
Fair Point. Just thinking out loud, trying to plan my build. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread