5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Maxtrac lowering installation

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great setup! I seen your video on YouTube recently.

I just picked up a 19 Laramie this past weekend. This will be my 3rd RAM, last two were lifted 14 and 17 Laramie. The 14 was 4" w/ 35's, 17 was 6" w/ 37's.

I have the 2" coils coming this week. Depending, if I'm satisfied I'll stay with that, BUT I'm thinking about swapping in the Bell Tech coil overs for HOPEFULLY a better ride and to get rid of the OEM suspension, along with Bilstein on the rear and the new Maxtrac UCA's. I might need to cut a coil out of the rear to lessen the rake after swapping to Bell Tech.

Any thoughts?

Down the road I'm thinking Core4X4 Arms, links and panhard bar. I also have the Hellwig Sway bar on the way now.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great setup! I seen your video on YouTube recently.

I just picked up a 19 Laramie this past weekend. This will be my 3rd RAM, last two were lifted 14 and 17 Laramie. The 14 was 4" w/ 35's, 17 was 6" w/ 37's.

I have the 2" coils coming this week. Depending, if I'm satisfied I'll stay with that, BUT I'm thinking about swapping in the Bell Tech coil overs for HOPEFULLY a better ride and to get rid of the OEM suspension, along with Bilstein on the rear and the new Maxtrac UCA's. I might need to cut a coil out of the rear to lessen the rake after swapping to Bell Tech.

Any thoughts?

Down the road I'm thinking Core4X4 Arms, links and panhard bar. I also have the Hellwig Sway bar on the way now.
From what I’ve seen and heard, the new belltech coilovers for the front have a very harsh ride.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I’ve seen and heard, the new belltech coilovers for the front have a very harsh ride.
Damn, not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping to have the adjustability, plus didn't want to stay with struts

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn, not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping to have the adjustability, plus didn't want to stay with struts

You might check with QA1 Suspension. They offer fully adjustable shocks and coil-overs. I’m considering the same in the future. They will tell you how to measure to see what they can offer for your truck.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You might check with QA1 Suspension. They offer fully adjustable shocks and coil-overs. I’m considering the same in the future. They will tell you how to measure to see what they can offer for your truck.

Per their configuration page they don’t do the gen5 rams. Unless I missed something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked as well. It's strange that by now there isn't more options. Even with Bilstein

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Coil overs are usually one of the first things I do to a truck. But I’m oddly surprised about how well the front maxtrac struts ride.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coil overs are usually one of the first things I do to a truck. But I’m oddly surprised about how well the front maxtrac struts ride.

That's good to know. I'll see how things go after I install the rear coils probably next weekend. They got delivered today. The Bilstein you're running are only good for the 4" lowering in back I'm guessing?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yep. Some one else did all the hard measuring work.

I think I’m up to 10k miles on the setup now with no issues.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
My buddy is friends with VOSSEN and got me a late Christmas present. Matches my mopar badge and should look good with the black lugs
b5af58f8fd0e8d8698f8fdead313aa5a.jpg

2fe4f34e296fa6936ee4d00ca9ac95a8.jpg

whatsnorth

Reaction score
Loved the post. I just finished installing this kit with Upper control arms and used this as guide. Looks and drives pretty nice. One thing I found out. The Airbags you have spec are incorrect. The are 4diameter x 8inches. They should be a 5"diameter x8 inches. The bags need to touch the springs. Used bags for years and they have always bulged into the spring. This might be why your not seeing them hold as much you might like.

The Kit I used was Airlift # 60920

Picture from install manual and my spring in lowered coil

Attachments

• manua.jpg
    manua.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Touching spring.jpg
    Touching spring.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Nice!

The bags I used are from a Durango and recommended my moes performance.

But things might have changed in the past two years, however mine are still fine.

Asphalt_slayer

Reaction score
Dude I love your 2/4 drop. I’m comparing Belltechs kits to yours and Belltechs website says that their lowering kits aren’t compatible with the stock 22in wheel setup because of the larger wheel bearing assembly. “RAM trucks with OEM 22” wheels require a larger bore steering knuckle”. My ram has stock 22s….any idea if the kit you pieced together will have the same issues? Thanks for the feedback and great write up.

Users who are viewing this thread