5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My '21 Limited and what's new...

OverTheClouds

Reaction score
I like the step in the rear bumper. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I prefer the step closer to the center. I know it’s for the multi function tailgate. It just looks better to me vs being on the corner.
if I want to take the M/F tailgate off is it easy to do?

OverTheClouds

Reaction score
Its still on UConnect 4. UConnect 5 has a revamped look.
Pictures of UConnect 5:

Congrats!
Congrats on the ‘21!! I’m dying to trade in and upgrade to a 21. I’m worried that I’ll end up with a Uconnect 4. Few months later UConnect 5 will be standard

Rexx

Reaction score

I don’t think so.

People looking to upgrade their tail gates to the multi function ones were told you needed a new box because of the way the connections work on the MFT.

I’m guessing there would be similar issues trying to ditch the MFT but maybe not

jastevenson

Reaction score
New for 2021. Let’s you back up a trailer more easily just by spinning the knob. Ford has had a similar knob for a few years and it is popular.

Sergeant Jim

Reaction score
Congrats , tell me about this option , cannot find anywhere

View attachment 69205

it is included in the trailer tow package. The price is similar because the No Camera / Manual fold mirrors are no longer part of the package. If you want Trailer Tow mirrors it is now a separate $445.00 option but they are Power Folding and have the surround cameras if you have that option

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I prefer the step closer to the center. I know it’s for the multi function tailgate. It just looks better to me vs being on the corner.

takes off just like a regular tailgate - and DO GET A TAILGATE LOCK TO SECURE IT - because these are likely to be a high theft item in the future.

Just like the regular tailgate - there are electrical connections for the camera & electric release that will need to be disconnected. Not something you want to do every day. Even with a regular tailgate. Aside from that - it lifts out (2 man job) just like any other tailgate. Comes up from the right side - slide to the right to clear the pin from the retainer on the left - then lift out. Page 145 in my owners manual - "Easy Off Tailgate". It's going to be a little heavier than a standard one - be careful you don't drop, ding or otherwise mangle.

Rick

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I don’t think so.

People looking to upgrade their tail gates to the multi function ones were told you needed a new box because of the way the connections work on the MFT.

I’m guessing there would be similar issues trying to ditch the MFT but maybe not

A little more to it than that - but yeah - you need a new box to swap out. But simply taking it off (for whatever reason) is do-able. All tailgates (99%) in all pickups are removable. Level of difficulty varies from truck to truck.

Rick

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its still on UConnect 4. UConnect 5 has a revamped look.

Pictures of UConnect 5:

Congrats!

I'd suspect that all units will get the update, they just will not have the added functions the new hardware adds. Theres no reason the current version couldn't upgrade to the newer software

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm real curious about the trailer backup feature. I feel like I would make me mess up!

BNeal

Reaction score
I'm real curious about the trailer backup feature. I feel like I would make me mess up!
I would agree. I didn't want, but it came with the package. I will never use it, as I am able to back a trailer, and this would confuse the sh%t out of me.

Bas

Reaction score
Unless newer hardware means newer incompatible Android os.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t think so.

Removing it is like any other tailgate, but quite a bit heavier. If someone wanted to swap to a regular tailgate it's much easier than if you want to swap to a MFT.

A little more to it than that - but yeah - you need a new box to swap out. But simply taking it off (for whatever reason) is do-able. All tailgates (99%) in all pickups are removable. Level of difficulty varies from truck to truck.

Rick
You don't necessarily need a new box, especially for rambox owners. The tailgate itself will swap right over. The main issues are the extra bracing needed (if you don't have a rambox), the striker is different, and possibly electrical connections might be different. We have a 2020 with a normal tailgate and one one with the MFT, both with ramboxes. I'm just waiting for the newness to wear off the Limited enough for my better half to let me mess with the MFT on her Limited...LOL. Another big issue is acquiring the MFT. So far you can't buy a complete MFT from you Ram dealer. You have to order all the parts and assemble it yourself. Or you can try finding one from a salvage yard, which becomes a better option as time goes on.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

This is for trailer backing novices I suppose - that can't get the concept that the trailer turns in the opposite direction of the wheel when backing.

Tons of people when I went to truck driving school (including myself in the beginning) had issues with timing and orientation backing trailers. In the end - I had to parallel park a sleeper rig & 53' trailer for my skills test.

This looks to be an "idiot knob", where you let go of the steering wheel, and turn the knob in the direction you want the trailer to go in the backup camera display.

WHICH STILL DOESN'T RELIEVE YOU OF THE RESPONSIBILITY OF WATCHING YOUR MIRRORS AND THE TRUCK TOO. Seen too many people minding the trailer that hit a wall (or other vehicles) with their truck.

Since RAM has to "keep up with the Joneses" (Fords, etc.) - I guess it's a cool feature. One that would become useless with time, practice and experience backing trailers.

Not trying to come off as a "trailer backing snob" here. After getting my CDL, backing in a regular sized truck/trailer got easier (though not always actually). Back in '08 - I had a 48' Class A RV with a 10' trailer that I couldn't back to SAVE MY LIFE...

Just another expensive add-on, that still won't replace paying attention to what you're doing - and practice/practice/practice.

That's just my opinion - your mileage may certainly vary...

Rick

ptatom

Reaction score
Congrats on the ‘21!! I’m dying to trade in and upgrade to a 21. I’m worried that I’ll end up with a Uconnect 4. Few months later UConnect 5 will be standard
Any news on when exactly the UConnect 5 will come out on the 21's?

Mac15

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. Would like to order but want to wait for Uconnect 5. I cannot find any confirmation that it is coming to Ram in 21. A mid year hardware update seems like an odd strategy for an integral control panel for the truck. Hope it comes soon but thinking it might be part of a 2022 refresh.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. Would like to order but want to wait for Uconnect 5. I cannot find any confirmation that it is coming to Ram in 21. A mid year hardware update seems like an odd strategy for an integral control panel for the truck. Hope it comes soon but thinking it might be part of a 2022 refresh.
Not likely. I'll be surprised if it shows up in the 1500 before the 2023 model year.

This reminds me of waiting for Apple Car Play when I was driving a 4th gen LOL. Lots of people posted in other forums that it would be a firmware upgrade, but it ended up being a hardware upgrade that we didn't see until the last official model year of the 4th gen (not counting Ram 1500 classics).

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This reminds me of waiting for Apple Car Play when I was driving a 4th gen LOL. Lots of people posted in other forums that it would be a firmware upgrade, but it ended up being a hardware upgrade that we didn't see until the last official model year of the 4th gen (not counting Ram 1500 classics).

My thoughts exactly. They'll make a hardware change, most likely, so that earlier Rams won't be capable of receiving the update. Motivation for us to buy newer trucks. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread