5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motofab 2.5” leveling kit installed

Cmoar

Reaction score
I did the 2.5” with new control arms on top of the 1” off-road pack, and 295/60R20 tires. I had to clear up some minor rubbing, and even found a way to keep the front mud flaps. I love the look of the 3.5” height and 34” tire combo.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you'll do the 3.5 inch with the 34's? Or stick to 33's and go wider?
Haven't decided yet. I've got 34s on new and they are brand new so new tires wont happen for a while. I'll replace them toward the end of next year and will either go with a wider 34, or a much wider 33.

Cmoar

Reaction score
Haven't decided yet. I've got 34s on new and they are brand new so new tires wont happen for a while. I'll replace them toward the end of next year and will either go with a wider 34, or a much wider 33.

Did you recalibrate your speedometer after putting 34s on? Mine is about 3-4mph off now. I have an appointment this week at the dealership to get it corrected.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you recalibrate your speedometer after putting 34s on? Mine is about 3-4mph off now. I have an appointment this week at the dealership to get it corrected.
I have not recalibrated. I called the dealer and they said they do not have the capability to do it on the 2019s so yours may not be able to do it either. There are a few programmers out there but I can't see the dealership using one. I will be buying a Pulsar pretty soon to take care of that. I try to be mindful of it, but I have a heavy foot. If my speedometer shows 70, I'm really going 75. If it shows 80 (which is quite often haha) then I am going 86-87. Really need to get that fixed. It also makes my gas mileage look worse. I'm really getting an extra 1-2 mpg than what the cluster tells me.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the 2.5” with new control arms on top of the 1” off-road pack, and 295/60R20 tires. I had to clear up some minor rubbing, and even found a way to keep the front mud flaps. I love the look of the 3.5” height and 34” tire combo.
This will probably be the route I go when I get new tires. I will have to dig into specific specs. Depending on the brand/model of tire, some 305/55s are as tall as some of the 295/60s. I'm guessing you had to trim because of your offset. I'm running a +10, and may use a small spacer to bump it to 0 offset when I do new tires to give better clearance. I've got Bushwacker flares going on so that will take away some clearance as well.

Cmoar

Reaction score
This will probably be the route I go when I get new tires. I will have to dig into specific specs. Depending on the brand/model of tire, some 305/55s are as tall as some of the 295/60s. I'm guessing you had to trim because of your offset. I'm running a +10, and may use a small spacer to bump it to 0 offset when I do new tires to give better clearance. I've got Bushwacker flares going on so that will take away some clearance as well.

I heat gun on the fender, and just sweet talked it back a bit. The Husky flaps I had to trim just a little. Took 10 minutes with a drimmel, once I knew where they were rubbing. With that offset I didn’t want everything getting flung down the side of the truck.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Dumb question, I know that Mopar specifically spells out lifts over 2" void the warranty (on associated parts obviously). Does the 2.5" level technically affect the warranty?

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
On the ORP. Do you swap right and left struts or spin the cap??? Can't get them to go in??!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the ORP. Do you swap right and left struts or spin the cap??? Can't get them to go in??!
The struts are the same regardless of what side they are on. You may have to use a small bit of elbow grease to get them lined back up.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
The struts are the same regardless of what side they are on. You may have to use a small bit of elbow grease to get them lined back up.

The tops of the strut are at a slight angle. So they kick outward when flipped 180.

Guess I need to compress spring and rotate

Attachments

• 15490453258863694336957224967453.jpg
    15490453258863694336957224967453.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77

Troop2865

Reaction score
If I remember correctly there is a member here that did a YouTube video on the installation. You might check it out.

The spacer studs should be spaced where the strut can only fit one way. The top should line up and then get the nuts started so it can’t slide out. I had to use a big pry bar to get the bottom back in place on the lower control arm. I found I needed an extra set of hands to get the bolt in while I used the pry bar to get it line up. I had my son assist with this.

I did try using a spring compressor but found the strut towers to interfere with them. Once you get the first one, the second goes much quicker.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
When I forced the lower bolt into the strut it bound up everything. The ball joint was no where near. The knuckle, tried to force that and it was all bad. Ended up putting the RL UCAs on with the stock struts. What an unproductive day, sheesh. Guess I'll be leaving it to the pros.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a 24" pipe wrench and grabbed a hold of the lower spring perch on the strut and gave it a little twist to get the lower bolt hole to line up other guys used a pickle fork, either way you need to twist the strut about 10 degrees to get the holes to line up on the bottom. Like troop said once you get a method down for the first, the second goes much quicker.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I remember correctly there is a member here that did a YouTube video on the installation. You might check it out.

The spacer studs should be spaced where the strut can only fit one way. The top should line up and then get the nuts started so it can’t slide out. I had to use a big pry bar to get the bottom back in place on the lower control arm. I found I needed an extra set of hands to get the bolt in while I used the pry bar to get it line up. I had my son assist with this.

I did try using a spring compressor but found the strut towers to interfere with them. Once you get the first one, the second goes much quicker.
Doowork did a video walk through, right when it gets to the point where they are reinstalling the strut with the spacer on top you can tell it doesn't fit. The video goes black and in the next scene its the truck sitting there complete with the wheels back on it. This tells me he didn't want anyone seeing the method they used to get it back together. Another guy on here mentioned loosening the out board axle nut to get more wiggle room out of the front half shafts but not everyone has a socket and torque wrench big enough to start messing with that.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Doowork did a video walk through, right when it gets to the point where they are reinstalling the strut with the spacer on top you can tell it doesn't fit. The video goes black and in the next scene its the truck sitting there complete with the wheels back on it. This tells me he didn't want anyone seeing the method they used to get it back together. Another guy on here mentioned loosening the out board axle nut to get more wiggle room out of the front half shafts but not everyone has a socket and torque wrench big enough to start messing with that.

I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing what is described in "step 13" in the motofab instructions I posted above. The strut "hat" is not perpendicular to the strut.

So if it has say a 5 degree angle. When I flip the strut 180 now that angle is in the wrong direction (pushing the bottom of the strut out towards the brake rotor instead of inward toward the mounting hole on the lower control arm.

I forced the strut and bolted it up. However after that it was super bound up. The lower control arm wouldn't even move with a floor jack, just lifted the entire truck.

Ahh, frustrating.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing what is described in "step 13" in the motofab instructions I posted above. The strut "hat" is not perpendicular to the strut.

So if it has say a 5 degree angle. When I flip the strut 180 now that angle is in the wrong direction (pushing the bottom of the strut out towards the brake rotor instead of inward toward the mounting hole on the lower control arm.

I forced the strut and bolted it up. However after that it was super bound up. The lower control arm wouldn't even move with a floor jack, just lifted the entire truck.

Ahh, frustrating.
Something sounds like it isn't right. Are you sure you put the correct Readylift UCAs on the proper side? If you installed them on opposite sides it could be trouble. Just trying to think of possible scenarios. I had zero issues when I installed my Readylift UCAs and spacers. I did have to slightly twist the passenger side strut to get it to line up but it was minimal. The driver side went straight in. Did you already tighten the upper mounts for the strut assembly? What I did was put the top in first, but only put the nuts at very top and did not tighten at all that way I had plenty of wiggle room. I waited until after I had the bottom bolted up tight before tightening the top. This gave me a little bit more play room when lining up the bottom strut mount.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Something sounds like it isn't right. Are you sure you put the correct Readylift UCAs on the proper side? If you installed them on opposite sides it could be trouble. Just trying to think of possible scenarios. I had zero issues when I installed my Readylift UCAs and spacers. I did have to slightly twist the passenger side strut to get it to line up but it was minimal. The driver side went straight in. Did you already tighten the upper mounts for the strut assembly? What I did was put the top in first, but only put the nuts at very top and did not tighten at all that way I had plenty of wiggle room. I waited until after I had the bottom bolted up tight before tightening the top. This gave me a little bit more play room when lining up the bottom strut mount.

I put the small holes in the UCA tube to rear, I believe those are correct. I did what you described with the strut, put the top in first and put the nuts on loose. I had to pry on the lower control arm pretty hard to just get the bottom of the strut to straddle the lower control arm
memeber.

Do you have the ORP?

Thanks

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the small holes in the UCA tube to rear, I believe those are correct. I did what you described with the strut, put the top in first and put the nuts on loose. I had to pry on the lower control arm pretty hard to just get the bottom of the strut to straddle the lower control arm
memeber.

Do you have the ORP?

Thanks
My experience was similar to KSN but I had to twist both sides a little to get the bottom bolt in. It sounds like you have the UCA's in the right orientation, the small hole in the tube faces the rear. Check your front drive shaft it sounds like the out side joint has slipped out and was binding up creating a block. Before you start raising the lower control arm make sure you can freely turn the hub by hand and the half shaft turns smoothly. If it binds up what happened is when you pushed lower control arm down and the spindle is flopped over to the outside of the truck to make room you over extended and slipped the joint on the CV not a big deal, just gotta make sure its back in the right place before you start raising the lower control arm. this happened to me on the Ram, and on my GMC when I put the level kit on it.

Users who are viewing this thread