5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their truck in for an oil change since installing their intake? I took mine in yesterday and the tech wrote notes on the paperwork saying, “oil change took longer due to customer installing an aftermarket intake that requires for it to be removed to add fluid.“

Hope FCA doesn’t give me crap in the future. Was hoping the tech would have wrote factory mopar intake instead so that it just didn’t say aftermarket intake. Oh well.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their truck in for an oil change since installing their intake? I took mine in yesterday and the tech wrote notes on the paperwork saying, “oil change took longer due to customer installing an aftermarket intake that requires for it to be removed to add fluid.“

Hope FCA doesn’t give me crap in the future. Was hoping the tech would have wrote factory mopar intake instead so that it just didn’t say aftermarket intake. Oh well.
You're fine, it's an FCA part number. Tech just never seen it before, which isn't that surprising since it's not a very common intake.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah, I had to show my tech the last time I got the oil changed. I believe this issue will decline as more G/T Ram are sold.

Since they have the Ram Airflow included with the package.:unsure:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wondering - do you just pop the top off to get at the oil filler tube?

Dave
Correct. For a traditional funnel/oil change, you need to pop just the top off, which does not even involve a tool.

If you have a really bendy funnel, you don't even need to do that. (I have yet to explore this option, as popping the top/lid off is super easy.)

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Best price I can find with 7% FL tax & shipping (which seems to be extremely high if not within Florida) is $846 - anybody find a better deal (WITH shipping)?

Thanks,
Dave

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're fine, it's an FCA part number. Tech just never seen it before, which isn't that surprising since it's not a very common intake.
Yeah I was thinking the same. They must not have seen the GT models yet but that’s soon will change

RJS

Reaction score
Best price I can find with 7% FL tax & shipping (which seems to be extremely high if not within Florida) is $846 - anybody find a better deal (WITH shipping)?

Thanks,
Dave
See if your Ram dealer is offering 15% off coupon for accessories on their website. Mine does and they have the parts delivered by regular delivery, no shipping charges. You'll need to ask the parts folks there for pricing before you order to be sure.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
See if your Ram dealer is offering 15% off coupon for accessories on their website. Mine does and they have the parts delivered by regular delivery, no shipping charges. You'll need to ask the parts folks there for pricing before you order to be sure.
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered it, s/b here tomorrow, 15% off coupon matches the best price from other place in FL w/ their shipping, and I need oil change on Challenger so I can do 2 things with one trip.

(more Happy Birthday To Me and Merry Christmas too!)

Dave

Jack.

Reaction score
I like mine for many reasons, but bang-for-the-buck is not one of them. If you are looking for a good power-gain/positive-effects to $ ratio, this is not an efficient upgrade, especially if you already have a larger filter (like the S&B).

If you like the looks of the Mopar unit better, then do it for that reason, but don't do it for any power or MPG you think you'll get over the S&B; the difference, if there is one, will be extremely small and not worth the $$$.

I had a S&B (dry filter) on my 2014. Liked it then too. Here is why I did the Mopar unit instead of a S&B or Volant for my 2020...
  • Removing/replacing the Mopar filter is easier.
  • The Mopar filter is easier to clean.
  • Potential warranty reasons (Mopar is less likely to void it), although my dealership has never cared about intakes in the past.
  • I liked the looks better.
  • I liked the idea of moving the intake up a little higher.
  • Frees up space where the old airbox used to be for something else in the future.
But if I already had spent the money on the S&B, I'm not sure I would swap it for the Mopar unit. Entirely up to you.
Ahhh I see, thanks!

On a unrelated topic... any idea how one would make their cold air intake a bit louder ? I really like that little whistle mine does when the gear shift and I can hear it in my cabin haha. I'm like 99% sure that's just how it is, but... just incase anyone know feel free to let me know 😄

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used to be, after a cold start, the first time I put it in drive I'd get a hesitation when accelerating once and then everything would be normal. Since I installed the Airflow the hesitation is gone.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Picked it up for five bills from a member here who traded his 1500 for a Power Wagon. Win win. Very easy install.

And some gratuitous pics... just because. 🤓

View attachment 114198 View attachment 114199 View attachment 114201 View attachment 114202
Now clean the rest of the stuff out of the left side. Here is a pic complete… 8D642346-F070-4EEA-9FB0-1FEEAE8A20BA.jpeg

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I've got a Veraram CAI and Borla exhaust. Would switching to the Mopar CAI offer any benefits over the Veraram? I've read here that some say Veraram offers nothing of benefit.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Yep, it will make your wallet lighter.
Thanks. I'll keep the veraram as I think it looks nicer anyway
0d35b4f63d9ab35bbd369e02e8405d1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

DBLX

Reaction score
Would RAM install a useless product on the GT version? i did notice the HP and torque numbers did not change, but that’s no different than when the Suzuki Hayabusa introduced ram air. Ive owned a Hayabusa… Ram air does provide a benefit, it’s just hard to determine how much.

327V8Hemi2020

Reaction score
I love it how everyone says it does nothing but looks good…put it on a Dyno and you’ll see the gains…plus you can feel it too…I t was designed by the SRT engineers at Mopar….

Attachments

• F7474330-D977-4E6F-A2B6-B7F8EB86C621.jpeg
    F7474330-D977-4E6F-A2B6-B7F8EB86C621.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2DB9D9AE-4DF3-4EE8-978D-A7793F881301.jpeg
    2DB9D9AE-4DF3-4EE8-978D-A7793F881301.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 6196251D-639F-4CAD-8922-4FF648BADBEF.jpeg
    6196251D-639F-4CAD-8922-4FF648BADBEF.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 86

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love it how everyone says it does nothing but looks good…put it on a Dyno and you’ll see the gains…plus you can feel it too…I t was designed by the SRT engineers at Mopar….
Designed by SRT? It's clearly a remade version of the Vararam that has been around for years. All they did was basically make a lid for it instead of having the open filter

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know about Dynos but it definitely does something. Smooths out the shifts, bumps up MPG. Mid-range acceleration is a tiny bit better.

I got this fully expecting to feel absolutely nothing based on what most people have said but the fact is, it noticabley changes the driving feel.

So if you wanna tell me that the horsepower and torque increase is zero, I believe you. But the driving feel absolutely changes/improves, and almost everyone that has driven their truck around for months without it and then had it installed says the same thing.

I get the y'all don't want people thinking this is a true performance part, and that you're gonna see any kind of track gains with it, but the idea that it does absolutely nothing at all to change how the truck feels to drive is misleading.

Could I get this from a Vararam, a K&N, even just a new drop-in filter? Maybe, idk, didn't try any of those. But I know I get it from this, and it was worth every penny to me.

Users who are viewing this thread