5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar’s “Ram Airflow” Cold-Air Intake System For Ram 1500:

J4U

Reaction score
Yes sir my dealership was surprised by the size. I told them what did you expect considering it sits from front to back lol.
Have asked in general a few times and no response. Question for you:

Does anything have to come off to refill the oil during a change?

Haven't seen any pics of that side.

ohiobh1500

Reaction score
It looks like you might need to remove it to fill the oil. But that's just a quick guess

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was told that a funnel would need to be used to fill, but all the things needed for an oil change are readily accessible.

Reactions: J4U

J4U

Reaction score
Order placed and looking forward to what the exhaust - Cai combo will sound like. She seems to want more air and this should help out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JeffJr

Reaction score
If anyone else wants to get this,buy it from Bams Wholesale Parts. Here is the link https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-cak-5-7l-77072428 and use promo code save5 to take of an additional $20 off. With shipping and everything the final price I paid was $702.33. I ordered it Oct 9th and it came in last Thursday Oct 16th. They told me that they order it from the Mopar warehouse then when they receive it they send it to me by FedEx. Honestly I don't mind the extra few days of wait for the price compared to the dealership. I got all my Mopar Performance parts from them like the Cat-Back exhaust and the front air deflector. Plan on getting the Mopar off-road running boards next from them.

So I installed the CAI last Friday and it was way easier then I thought it was going to be. Before I pulled the stock air box out I notice something interesting. The stock air intake is technically a cold air intake. After pulling the air box out, which by the way was super easy and didn't require really effort, the next step was to pull the air inlet duct out. I noticed that previous Models the inlet duct went into the fender well, but on these 5th gens they go straight into the grill. So if you wanted to, you could just order a performance filter, replace the stock filter with it, and remove the charcoal mesh liner on the top half of the air box. Oh and just in case anyone plans to install these new cai here's a tip. When you get to step 9 to remove the inlet duct the instructions aren't very specific on how to remove it. Instead it just says "remove air inlet duct and discard" and a pic just showing the duct with arrows as if it isn't held in by something. The air box came out fine just by pulling it straight up. The inlet duct though, you have to get under your truck and use a flat head screw driver to unhinge the plastic locking mechanism under the duct. Or you can just break it by twisting the duct, but I wanted to keep everything just in case I ever wanted to put the stock back in or sell it. That was really the only hard part of the install, everything was super easy and quick. It took me an hour, minus the 30 mins of cursing and trying to figure out what was holding this thing in. Another good thing about the filter in the CAI is that it's washable so no more having to buy new filters. Another advise too is when you plug your battery back in and notice your Uconnect 12", backup camera, xm radio, heated seats and steering, and climate controls aren't working properly don't freak out. Just turn your truck off and let it sit for a couple of hours and it will fix itself. Took me an hour to figure it out from the forums that nothing was actually wrong lol.

Afterwards took the truck for a test drive and with the Mopar Cat-Back exhaust coupled with the Mopar CAI, the truck sounds great and mpg seems to be better too. It does feel more torquie when I hit the gas at launch. All I'm all I am very happy with it and was fun installing the mod. Definitely plan on getting the Pulsar Edge and afe Sprint Booster in the near future. But the Mopar off road running boards are definitely the next install....for the miss's and the leather seats sake.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone else wants to get this,buy it from Bams Wholesale Parts. Here is the link https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-cak-5-7l-77072428 and use promo code save5 to take of an additional $20 off. With shipping and everything the final price I paid was $702.33. I ordered it Oct 9th and it came in last Thursday Oct 16th. They told me that they order it from the Mopar warehouse then when they receive it they send it to me by FedEx. Honestly I don't mind the extra few days of wait for the price compared to the dealership. I got all my Mopar Performance parts from them like the Cat-Back exhaust and the front air deflector. Plan on getting the Mopar off-road running boards next from them.

So I installed the CAI last Friday and it was way easier then I thought it was going to be. Before I pulled the stock air box out I notice something interesting. The stock air intake is technically a cold air intake. After pulling the air box out, which by the way was super easy and didn't require really effort, the next step was to pull the air inlet duct out. I noticed that previous Models the inlet duct went into the fender well, but on these 5th gens they go straight into the grill. So if you wanted to, you could just order a performance filter, replace the stock filter with it, and remove the charcoal mesh liner on the top half of the air box. Oh and just in case anyone plans to install these new cai here's a tip. When you get to step 9 to remove the inlet duct the instructions aren't very specific on how to remove it. Instead it just says "remove air inlet duct and discard" and a pic just showing the duct with arrows as if it isn't held in by something. The air box came out fine just by pulling it straight up. The inlet duct though, you have to get under your truck and use a flat head screw driver to unhinge the plastic locking mechanism under the duct. Or you can just break it by twisting the duct, but I wanted to keep everything just in case I ever wanted to put the stock back in or sell it. That was really the only hard part of the install, everything was super easy and quick. It took me an hour, minus the 30 mins of cursing and trying to figure out what was holding this thing in. Another good thing about the filter in the CAI is that it's washable so no more having to buy new filters. Another advise too is when you plug your battery back in and notice your Uconnect 12", backup camera, xm radio, heated seats and steering, and climate controls aren't working properly don't freak out. Just turn your truck off and let it sit for a couple of hours and it will fix itself. Took me an hour to figure it out from the forums that nothing was actually wrong lol.

Afterwards took the truck for a test drive and with the Mopar Cat-Back exhaust coupled with the Mopar CAI, the truck sounds great and mpg seems to be better too. It does feel more torquie when I hit the gas at launch. All I'm all I am very happy with it and was fun installing the mod. Definitely plan on getting the Pulsar Edge and afe Sprint Booster in the near future. But the Mopar off road running boards are definitely the next install....for the miss's and the leather seats sake.
Thanks for the info, glad to hear someone ordering from Bam, now it seems I need to place my order.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$754 for local dealership for me, not $1700 .. they were trying to rip you off!
MSRP is like $650-675. They may have tried to charge you $1,000 for labor to install it?

=== EDIT === sorry, I misread and thought you were referring to the RAMAIR .. then I read the entire paragraph and realized you were referring to a catback. -- guess I had best go make some coffee or something LOL :(

Well it's in.... Wish the top part of the intake would mate better with the lower half. Over all happy with it. Had to take the dog to the vet so I haven't really got on it yet

LUCKY!!

Mine was supposed to be here Fri or Sat at the latest .. but the truck did not have that large of a box on it either day (just a couple engines we need to replace).
You didn't "get on it", but does it have a generally different sound/tone over the stock air box?
I was hoping to get mine to run some 'unboxing' images and 'how-to' install images.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
What would you say a stock hemi would put down to the wheels on a mustang dyno?
No clue. I do know that the dyno doesn't always tell the whole story. A lot of Jeeps dynod great with an air intake or exhaust, however on the streets never picked up performance. Generally they got slower. Another prime example. Aftermarket supercharger versus OEM. There are a lot of Jeep guys whose aftermarket SCd Jeeps dyno much higher than the trackhawk, yet could never beat one. I'm interested in real world performance only.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I got quoted $1140 from the dealership I got my truck from. That did not include installation, needless to say I won't be ordering any parts from them.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score

On their site they list 77072428 and 77072428AB which says it’s for the 19-20 DT Ram but you’re saying you ordered the first one I listed?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any time! They are the best priced place that I know of. Gonna order the Mopar off-road running boards next.
What did they charge for shipping? They’re quoting me $178 from Ohio to South Carolina, seems a little steep and defeats the lower price they’re offering.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sadly as I’ve found the shipping companies have increased their costs. With that being the case these companies are passing that onto the consumer. Not to mention the box this comes in is almost as big as my Sport hood box was. That’s one of the reasons why I purchased through the dealership. If there is a problem, they are the ones dealing with it. I’ve found as I’m over 50 my peace of mind is worth more then me saving some dollars lol.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sadly as I’ve found the shipping companies have increased their costs. With that being the case these companies are passing that onto the consumer. Not to mention the box this comes in is almost as big as my Sport hood box was. That’s one of the reasons why I purchased through the dealership. If there is a problem, they are the ones dealing with it. I’ve found as I’m over 50 my peace of mind is worth more then me saving some dollars lol.
I agree as a fellow 50 something guy that piece of mind has gained in priority. I’ll likely just call my dealer shortly and order from them as I also have 20% discount from them.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No one answered my question haha. Someone outside California want to buy this for me? And then I pick it up. Hahaha
Easy way for you to get one...if you trust some of us enough to PayPal or Zelle the money...I would order it on your behalf and then ship it straight to your house. Or...you could just order it online and have it shipped to your house ;)

Users who are viewing this thread