5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX – The Ultimate Raptor Killer:

aevus

Reaction score
It's not about being forced to buy. It comes down to questionable design decisions. These guys are coming out with the latest, greatest, biggest, baddest muscle truck that ever lived. Something to leave the Raptor in the dust. Arguably Ram's flagship vehicle. And they don't put the best radio/infotainment available into it? Emphasis on "available". They have the UConnect 5. And even if it isn't quite "done", it will be by the time the TRX starts shipping.

It would like Samsung's new Note 20 Ultra having a camera that was standard two model phones ago.
Or Sony's flagship TV having only coax connections.

While I agree with the sentiment, this decision might be based on production times. As you’ve stated, UConnect 5 will be ready by the time it ships. Who knows what sort of testing phase it goes through per model. To think that FCA would purposefully do something like this is not reasonable in my opinion, and there must be a reasonable explanation for it, and as someone else said, it will eventually have UConnect 5.

This thing is still a monster most of us would only dream of and I applaud FCA for having the guts to pull it off. I personally can’t wait to get one, as for my next truck I really wanted a Raptor, and seeing that I loved the Hellcat engine and my RAM, this is a match made in heaven!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For everyone that is begging and screaming for UConnect 5, nobody is forcing you to be one of the first to purchase a TRX. The TRX isn’t going anywhere so instead of all of this back and forth, just wait a year or so, then there you go, you’ll probably be able to get the TRX with UConnect 5.

For those “gotta have it now” buyers, I’d be willing to bet that 99.9% could care less about what UConnect version they’re getting.
It's alright man...you and I get it...they just want to argue with reason lol. Grocery truck drivers....I think that's my new favorite saying for the ones who will buy the TRX just for the radio :ROFLMAO:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like a sweet ride. Not worth 100k but a sweet ride none the less.

Re: Uconnect 5 - people are saying the current version doesn't get OTA updates but pretty sure we have a thread full of people getting them for our 12" screens. They haven't announced Uconnect 5 coming for the regular ram 2021 yr models so why would you assume this would be different? They probably want it to be fully functional before putting it in their halo vehicle. I think it would be a poor choice to let the trx be the guinea pig on that. It's like the limited and the Rebel had a baby and it grew up with a hellcat. The limited already has an MSRP of 70+, throw in a ton of suspension upgrades, throw in the hellcat, and all the other fancy stuff and you're at your 100k. You guys are talking about this thing like UConnect 5 is a $5000 option or something. It's just a radio in a machine that's built to go fast. I'd be perfectly happy using my current 12" system in a TRX.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And they don't put the best radio/infotainment available into it? Emphasis on "available". They have the UConnect 5. And even if it isn't quite "done", it will be by the time the TRX starts shipping.

With all due respect, do you have any hard facts that it will be available by then? Because if you have an official source saying that it will be available in RAMS by then, I’d love to see it.

Just because it’ll be available for the Pacifica and Durango, you can’t assume that it’s a simple “they can just drop it in the Ram (or any vehicle for that matter).”

You have to remember that Ram is the only FCA vehicle running the vertical 12” screen. So far, the only two vehicles that have had an announcement for UConnect 5 are (will be) running FCAs new horizontal 10” screen.

Last edited:

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
who would've thought that the 700+hp TRX is revealed, and the hottest topic ends up being uconnect :ROFLMAO: how about those bilsteins?? any thoughts on those? Im surprised that they stuck with bilstein, but im sure it was a business decision since they already partner with bilstein

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
who would've thought that the 700+hp TRX is revealed, and the hottest topic ends up being uconnect :ROFLMAO: how about those bilsteins?? any thoughts on those? Im surprised that they stuck with bilstein, but im sure it was a business decision since they already partner with bilstein
Wish I could like this numerous times...but this is nothing if you fall down the rabbit hole of article comments.

I need a break from the internet...time to go camping.

Oh and the rumor is fox or king couldnt keep up with production and wouldnt warranty them.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Alright, since it appears I am in the minority here (the following thread would argue that point) this will be my last comment on the UConnect topic.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/12-1-radio-obsolete-already.17590/
This was never meant to stir such controversy. For some context on my mindset, my last car was a Charger 392. When I was looking for a new vehicle my choices were a Charger HC or a Jeep Trackhawk. I wanted that power. But then I test drove the Ram and was blown away by how updated everything felt. I could no longer justify a new vehicle, at HC or Trackhawk prices, with old technology in it. So, for Ram to put technology that will very shortly be outdated, into their latest and greatest, just boggles my mind.

"if you have an official source saying that it will be available in RAMS by then"
I never said it will be available for Rams by then. I said it is available, as in generally, like for other FCA vehicles.
Per the multitude of articles on this topic from May:
"Uconnect 5 will be rolled out in the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica this fall. The redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV and Ram 1500 pickup truck will be the next vehicles to get it, said Nick Cappa, communications manager for FCA. That represents the automotive group’s three key brands; the Fiat 500 EV will actually be the first to get the system, but that’s only in Europe. "
Do we think the TRX will hit the streets before the Pacifica this fall, or the Fiat before that? I doubt it. It is a good point that you wouldn't want your "halo car" to be the test subject, but I don't think it will be.

Per CNET, who spoke to Jin Palmer, FCA's head of infotainment and feature planning, and Vince Galante, Uconnect's chief designer:
"The additional processing and graphical horsepower helps Uconnect 5 to push three times as many pixels as before -- up to ultra-HD resolution for large screens such as the 10.1-inch display in the upcoming 2021 Pacifica or the big ol' 12.3-inch screen in the Ram 1500."

In response to Grape_Ape
"You guys are talking about this thing like UConnect 5 is a $5000 option or something. It's just a radio in a machine that's built to go fast."
It may not be $5k, but it is also not cheap. Best I can find is the 12" costing $2095. Certainly a costly enough feature worth mentioning.

"I'd be perfectly happy using my current 12" system in a TRX."
I am perfectly happy with my 12" UConnect as well. I think the system is a bit underutilized for its potential, and I worry with the Uconnect 5 coming out, that our system will be left by the wayside. It is pretty disappointing for a system that was newly released 1 model year ago.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I positively demand new signal switches for my 100K ram that I will never afford anyway. I mean come on, they've used the same signal stalk design since 1960? And what about door handles, good grief, they're still mechanically activated.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Uconnect 5 will be rolled out in the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica this fall. The redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV and Ram 1500 pickup truck will be the next vehicles to get it"

I think that’s where the disconnect is. People assume that since FCA said that “Ram would be one of the next vehicles to get it” after the Fall 2020 release in the Pacifica, people automatically assumed it’d be available in the Rams at the same time or soon there after. But the fact is, no date was ever given by FCA for the rollout in Rams.

FCA never mentioned the Durango in that press release either, but it would appear that it’ll get the new system before the Rams. Just goes to show, plans change.

Boston

Reaction score
It’s a cellphone, probably included in the pic to highlight wireless charging ability.

Think you are in to something. The shifter probably took the real estate that other models have for the wireless charger.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright, since it appears I am in the minority here (the following thread would argue that point) this will be my last comment on the UConnect topic.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/12-1-radio-obsolete-already.17590/
This was never meant to stir such controversy. For some context on my mindset, my last car was a Charger 392. When I was looking for a new vehicle my choices were a Charger HC or a Jeep Trackhawk. I wanted that power. But then I test drove the Ram and was blown away by how updated everything felt. I could no longer justify a new vehicle, at HC or Trackhawk prices, with old technology in it. So, for Ram to put technology that will very shortly be outdated, into their latest and greatest, just boggles my mind.

"if you have an official source saying that it will be available in RAMS by then"
I never said it will be available for Rams by then. I said it is available, as in generally, like for other FCA vehicles.
Per the multitude of articles on this topic from May:
"Uconnect 5 will be rolled out in the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica this fall. The redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV and Ram 1500 pickup truck will be the next vehicles to get it, said Nick Cappa, communications manager for FCA. That represents the automotive group’s three key brands; the Fiat 500 EV will actually be the first to get the system, but that’s only in Europe. "
Do we think the TRX will hit the streets before the Pacifica this fall, or the Fiat before that? I doubt it. It is a good point that you wouldn't want your "halo car" to be the test subject, but I don't think it will be.

Per CNET, who spoke to Jin Palmer, FCA's head of infotainment and feature planning, and Vince Galante, Uconnect's chief designer:
"The additional processing and graphical horsepower helps Uconnect 5 to push three times as many pixels as before -- up to ultra-HD resolution for large screens such as the 10.1-inch display in the upcoming 2021 Pacifica or the big ol' 12.3-inch screen in the Ram 1500."

In response to Grape_Ape
"You guys are talking about this thing like UConnect 5 is a $5000 option or something. It's just a radio in a machine that's built to go fast."
It may not be $5k, but it is also not cheap. Best I can find is the 12" costing $2095. Certainly a costly enough feature worth mentioning.

"I'd be perfectly happy using my current 12" system in a TRX."
I am perfectly happy with my 12" UConnect as well. I think the system is a bit underutilized for its potential, and I worry with the Uconnect 5 coming out, that our system will be left by the wayside. It is pretty disappointing for a system that was newly released 1 model year ago.
i definitely see your point and agree that its important that they provide updated tech in these new expensive trx's if they can. I dont think theres a single person who wouldnt rather have uconnect 5 in their hypothetical trx if that's an option. My thoughts are that in 5 years this $75K+ TRX is going to be outdated regardless

HemiDude

Reaction score
The site didn't seem to be letting me try to reduce the packages. It automatically selected the 12k TRX edition and Level 2. I added nothing the price was 93K. I tried selecting the level 1, it wouldn't let me.
I think you can only order the "Launch" edition currently , which is pretty much fully loaded. It will probably open up to more options once those initial 700 or so or sold

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
I was really hoping they would have kept the exhaust from the concept. Man, did that look awesome. Same with the pull tab interior door handles.

badpewterz

Reaction score
I was really hoping they would have kept the exhaust from the concept. Man, did that look awesome. Same with the pull tab interior door handles.
im curious what exhaust they did end up. no resonators but tamed down from the original concept they said. wonder if its just the mopar performance (borla) or something different?

JCebula

Reaction score
Anyone notice the MPH in the display during the reveal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-130917_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-130917_Facebook.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 45

HemiDude

Reaction score
^^^. Dino head shifter ???
I can't find the link now, I think they replaced it. The shifter had what looked like a red lower jaw sticking out from it, as well as red dots on the side that looked like eyes

Users who are viewing this thread