5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Me CRAZY...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought my loaded 2021 Limited Night Edition Loaded for $59,500 (MSRP $72,800) back in early December. Now, I am getting offers from Carvana and Vroom for $65,000! I must admit...it is making me think about selling it. I just don't know what I'd buy right now to replace it. Don't need a truck and could just buy a small car and wait for the world to get back to normal next year. Thoughts???

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha that's the dilemma I was having last month. I was able to find a much nicer truck and secured a great deal on both my trade and the new truck. There isn't much to pick from now though. And who knows how long it will take if you order one. Not to mention the lack of incentives. If you're happy with your truck I'd just keep it. If not, your idea of just driving something small and wait for things to get back to normal sounds like a good idea. The problem is, who knows when or if things will actually get back to normal?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been having similar thoughts, I was offered $6k more than I paid 1.5 years ago. At the end of the day I like the truck and there are not many bargains out there. In addition I wouldn't be purchasing from same dealer as I would be selling to so this would knock off $3k that I would lose in tax benefit from buying and trading from same dealer.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I sold my buddy 2020 Silverado duramax three weeks ago and am waiting for my new rebel

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have been having similar thoughts, I was offered $6k more than I paid 1.5 years ago. At the end of the day I like the truck and there are not many bargains out there. In addition I wouldn't be purchasing from same dealer as I would be selling to so this would knock off $3k that I would lose in tax benefit from buying and trading from same dealer.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I don't believe the tax benefit is with the dealer...as long as you buy anything in the same state, you get the tax benefit...just like FL.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am looking at a few small SUV's and put $35K in the bank. Then, once things calm down next summer and the chip shortage is over, get back into a truck. My truck is purely a toy and unnecessary. Will I miss it? Yes. But for what I can get...making me think this is a no brainer. Going out tonight to look at some options.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just bought my loaded 2021 Limited Night Edition Loaded for $59,500 (MSRP $72,800) back in early December. Now, I am getting offers from Carvana and Vroom for $65,000! I must admit...it is making me think about selling it. I just don't know what I'd buy right now to replace it. Don't need a truck and could just buy a small car and wait for the world to get back to normal next year. Thoughts???
Well youare answering my new thread question about truck resale prices leveling off, maybe they are not.
Is there anything you regret getting or not getting with your present truck? How much are you really into it counting sales taxes and is any of that refundable in Fl?

If you aren't upside down due to taxes and licensing and see something else you'd prefer I'd say sell.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well youare answering my new thread question about truck resale prices leveling off, maybe they are not.
Is there anything you regret getting or not getting with your present truck? How much are you really into it counting sales taxes and is any of that refundable in Fl?

If you aren't upside down due to taxes and licensing and see something else you'd prefer I'd say sell.
I am into it for about $62K and can get $65K. The only option I would have liked to have, but really didn't need, was the 33 gal tank. I have everything else. Touch decision, but I get new vehicles every 1.5-2 years anyway. If I drove an SUV for a year or so, and then got back into a TRX or something else I may want in 2023, it's not the end of the world. I don't tow or haul anything anyway.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie that was optioned up to a Limited Level. ($71.1K MSRP) They only
Offered me $54K for it with a $3500 Cap on the Bed to boot. That is about what I
owe on the Note. I would be losing about $11K if I sold it to them.

Malodave

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie that was optioned up to a Limited Level. ($71.1K MSRP) They only
Offered me $54K for it with a $3500 Cap on the Bed to boot. That is about what I
owe on the Note. I would be losing about $11K if I sold it to them.

Malodave
Is that an offer from vroom or carvana? Or from a dealer

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am into it for about $62K and can get $65K. The only option I would have liked to have, but really didn't need, was the 33 gal tank. I have everything else. Touch decision, but I get new vehicles every 1.5-2 years anyway. If I drove an SUV for a year or so, and then got back into a TRX or something else I may want in 2023, it's not the end of the world. I don't tow or haul anything anyway.
Hummer Edition One? Lightning? Cybertruck? Such choices...;)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'd go for it then. For your cheaper new ride may I suggest the Lada Niva:
Begin article quote:
"The Niva II receives an 80-horsepower 1.7-liter engine, which is the same basic unit that's been in the car since the 1990s. In fact, it's nearly the same engine available in the regular Niva. It does, however, get a full-time four-wheel-drive system with locking differentials and a low-range gearbox, which ensures it can at least match the original Niva when the going gets tough."

And a UK review says: (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lada/niva)
"The 1.7-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine is now fitted with Bosch fuel injection and complies with Euro 5 emissions standards, the dashboard has been replaced with a new VDO instrument pack that looks only 15 years behind in design and the door mirrors are a bit bigger than they used to be. The Niva is now available in three- and five-door form, and in rugged and 'stylish' Urban models.

The Niva was never the best of road cars, but off road, with its minimal 1210kg weight, narrow tyres, low-ratio transfer gearbox and diff lock, it was formidable across the mucky stuff. And when you had got both it and yourself covered in mud and goo, you could fling open the doors and hose out the interior.

You can do the same today because the same plastic and rubber mats are used in the Niva. The trim plastics are ghastly, but the piglets or lambs in the back won’t mind and neither should you. Besides, the Niva is a cool-looking vehicle in a sort of Smeg fridge way. In 2016, Lada introduced the Niva Urban which equips the 4x4 with air conditioning, electric windows, heated and electrically folding wing mirrors, 16in alloy wheels and body coloured bumpers. Luxury personified clearly. The Russian manufacturer later in the year also modernised the suspension with improved bearings and gas shock absorbers. The rest of the Niva is reassuringly as it was several decades ago. It even smells the same.

Most modern cars are so quiet that all you can hear at speed is tyre noise. The Niva may also have noisy tyres, but you can’t tell because any road noise is drowned out by gearbox whine.

The engine itself is remarkably quiet. There’s sound insulation under the bonnet that looks like an add-on but cuts out a lot of noise. There’s plenty of squeaking and rattling from around the back that could be the retrofitted LPG tank moving on its mounting bracket."

End of copied portion.

Now I have tried to furnish you with up-to-date information for your dream ride. It is not affected by the chip shortage due to superior Russian design which negates the need for any consumer electronics.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd go for it then. For your cheaper new ride may I suggest the Lada Niva:
Begin article quote:
"The Niva II receives an 80-horsepower 1.7-liter engine, which is the same basic unit that's been in the car since the 1990s. In fact, it's nearly the same engine available in the regular Niva. It does, however, get a full-time four-wheel-drive system with locking differentials and a low-range gearbox, which ensures it can at least match the original Niva when the going gets tough."

And a UK review says: (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lada/niva)
"The 1.7-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine is now fitted with Bosch fuel injection and complies with Euro 5 emissions standards, the dashboard has been replaced with a new VDO instrument pack that looks only 15 years behind in design and the door mirrors are a bit bigger than they used to be. The Niva is now available in three- and five-door form, and in rugged and 'stylish' Urban models.

The Niva was never the best of road cars, but off road, with its minimal 1210kg weight, narrow tyres, low-ratio transfer gearbox and diff lock, it was formidable across the mucky stuff. And when you had got both it and yourself covered in mud and goo, you could fling open the doors and hose out the interior.

You can do the same today because the same plastic and rubber mats are used in the Niva. The trim plastics are ghastly, but the piglets or lambs in the back won’t mind and neither should you. Besides, the Niva is a cool-looking vehicle in a sort of Smeg fridge way. In 2016, Lada introduced the Niva Urban which equips the 4x4 with air conditioning, electric windows, heated and electrically folding wing mirrors, 16in alloy wheels and body coloured bumpers. Luxury personified clearly. The Russian manufacturer later in the year also modernised the suspension with improved bearings and gas shock absorbers. The rest of the Niva is reassuringly as it was several decades ago. It even smells the same.

Most modern cars are so quiet that all you can hear at speed is tyre noise. The Niva may also have noisy tyres, but you can’t tell because any road noise is drowned out by gearbox whine.

The engine itself is remarkably quiet. There’s sound insulation under the bonnet that looks like an add-on but cuts out a lot of noise. There’s plenty of squeaking and rattling from around the back that could be the retrofitted LPG tank moving on its mounting bracket."

End of copied portion.

Now I have tried to furnish you with up-to-date information for your dream ride. It is not affected by the chip shortage due to superior Russian design which negates the need for any consumer electronics.
I love Lada

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Guys, SG has been such a help to others here. Let's all give him suggestions for a new vehicle. As I remember in his thread starter post he said: "Don't need a truck and could just buy a small car and wait for the world to get back to normal next year. Thoughts???"
So please keep suggestions to the smaller car idea until he tells us otherwise.
So far there's 2 votes for the gen, uhh 1.1 Lada. Any other thoughts?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Inspiration has struck again! Sometimes I amaze even myself:
Taken from https://www.motortrend.com/news/renault-kwid-7000-affordable-suv/

A $7,000 SUV? What American Automakers Can Learn From This Indian-Market Renault​

(Begin copied portion of article with special emphasis for SG:)

"...Sure enough, the Fiat 500-sized 67-hp, 67-lb-ft 1.0-liter three-cylinder, range-topping Renault Kwid Climber in Sandy's shop looked spiffy in metallic blue paint accented with orange flourishes inside and out. It featured power windows and locks, A/C, a digital dash with trip computer, an 8.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a driver airbag, seat belt pretensioners, antilock front-disc/rear-drum brakes, a backup camera, and a rotary selector for the five-speed automated manual transmission. It's front-drive only, but with 7.3 inches of ground clearance, long suspension travel, and 80-series tires, it promises to tackle rough roads.
Base 0.8-liter manual Kwids start at just $3,818."

End of copied portion of heart clutching specs for SG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Cmon guys, we have to give SG some options here so he doesn't fall into the clutches of a (gasp) Ford salesman!

I've got another idea, a bit "edgy" but hey, have you seen his mod list? He can mod anything so here goes.

Being in Fl somewhere, land of uhh, alligators and palm trees, I figured this would fit in. Sorta give him a means to help make payments. And if a gator is chasing him he can throw it a sno-cone to keep it occupied!
1623195363468.png

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I think he's got a family so...
1623195576771.png
Note that's a duellie, just sayin. No payload issues there. But, it's a bit plain. Knowing him like I don't, I think that he'd prefer something flashier:
1623195780039.png Yea, definately more his style...

Users who are viewing this thread