5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow Exhaust installed!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the MF system today and like most others, I'm fighting the hell out of it to get the tips aligned. Everything lose its fine, have a friend space it, use wedges, etc and soon as I tighten it pulls off center. Might to have a muffler shop put some welds in this to make it right. I have it on now but it's not centered at all.
Are you happy with sound so far? That first start up should bring a smile. :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    594.8 KB · Views: 44

mhb1638

Reaction score
Are you happy with sound so far? That first start up should bring a smile. :giggle:
Its different that the Borla XR1 muffler I had on, quieter and deeper. But it's just breaking in so time will tell. But the first start up is pure sex to the ears.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Place it just off center and then tighten. It’ll tighten to center.

Does that make sense? Don’t align centered and then tighten, align it just outside of center, then tighten; it’ll pull to center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what you're saying and I'll try that. Seems to really fight me. Both tips push hard to the drivers side. The passenger side tip is really being a biotch. I don't recall this problem when I did this on my '16 Ram. I'll just have to work around it somehow. Don't like how it pulls left on both sides.

768mph

Reaction score
I know what you're saying and I'll try that. Seems to really fight me. Both tips push hard to the drivers side. The passenger side tip is really being a biotch. I don't recall this problem when I did this on my '16 Ram. I'll just have to work around it somehow. Don't like how it pulls left on both sides.

Start the truck and leave the exhaust warm. Once warm, wear gloves to prevent burning.

Handle one side at a time, start with drivers side. Loosen from the muffler and over axle connections.

Line everything up and tighten the over axle pipes, it’ll move. (Leave muffler connections loose)

Adjust at the pivot points on over axle connections left and right, To line it up off center. It’s best with a partner to assist looking at tips.

Helpful advice- take masking tape around the tips to prevent scratching while you adjust.
Make sure all the hangers are set evenly. If they are pushing, it’ll throw it out of alignment.
My catback seemed to favor toward the passenger side. But the passenger tip wanted to adjust to the license plate and wouldn’t straighten. It took me to adjust accordingly. There are only two pivot points, muffler connection and over the axle connections. It’ll take massaging but can be done. MF definitely needs to readjust their piping. Or make the tips adjustable ball/socket fittings. It would cure this all.

Last edited:

mhb1638

Reaction score
Start the truck and leave the exhaust warm. Once warm, wear gloves to prevent burning.

Handle one side at a time, start with drivers side. Loosen from the muffler and over axle connections.

Line everything up and tighten the over axle pipes, it’ll move. (Leave muffler connections loose)

Adjust at the pivot points on over axle connections left and right, To line it up off center. It’s best with a partner to assist looking at tips.

Helpful advice- take masking tape around the tips to prevent scratching while you adjust.
Make sure all the hangers are set evenly. If they are pushing, it’ll throw it out of alignment.
My catback seemed to favor toward the passenger side. But the passenger tip wanted to adjust to the license plate and wouldn’t straighten. It took me to adjust accordingly. There are only two pivot points, muffler connection and over the axle connections. It’ll take massaging but can be done. MF definitely needs to readjust their piping. Or make the tips adjustable ball/socket fittings. It would cure this all.

I got it much better today by reversing my process. Last time I was tightening and son holding the tips....this time the oppsite. So its much better now. Time will tell how it shifts after a few heat ups.

768mph

Reaction score
I got it much better today by reversing my process. Last time I was tightening and son holding the tips....this time the oppsite. So its much better now. Time will tell how it shifts after a few heat ups.

If it’s lined up, don’t walk, Run to an exhaust shop and tack it on. (If your permanent exhaust)

RueferChi

Reaction score
I’m all about DIY...but I think I’m just going to take it to a muffler shop and get ‘er done right the first time. Of course, my build hasn’t even started yet, so that will probably be in Feb.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Spoke to my friend who ordered his back in November. Now they are telling him they won’t be shipped until the middle of January. Maybe they are taking the extra time to correct the fitment issues several seem to be having ?

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I ordered mine last week from Hottexhaust, and it was delivered today - drop shipped directly from Magnaflow according to the FedEx shipping info. Mine is supposed to have the chrome tips, if that makes a difference.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered mine last week from Hottexhaust, and it was delivered today - drop shipped directly from Magnaflow according to the FedEx shipping info. Mine is supposed to have the chrome tips, if that makes a difference.

My blacktips one is backordered

PorBoy

Reaction score
It always seems to be the case when black tips are ordered. Is there some special process, or are black tips in the minority so the manufacturers never plan well concerning that ?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It always seems to be the case when black tips are ordered. Is there some special process, or are black tips in the minority so the manufacturers never plan well concerning that ?

My guess?
I think they forecasted reasonably well -
But with the big sale they probably figured they would finish out their pre-made inventory.
And then this board got a hold of it LOL

Then the orders kept piling in.
I think we happily surprised them!

Reaction score
Has anyone tried towing a trailer yet with this system, say 7,000 lbs?I like what I am seeing and hearing so far but wonder how loud it will be under a decent trailer load...

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^. I like how you’ve option your Rebel out. :)

Thank you man!
I kept it "simple", expensive but "simple"!

Saw in your sig that you're getting rid of the borla touring - in favor of the magnaflow?

Man I'll be super interested to hear your opinion having had both.
I was 100% Sold on a borla touring, jumped on the magnaflow due to the deal.
If I find out I'm not really missing anything, I'd literally sleep better at night LOL

PorBoy

Reaction score
No I am going back to the oem exhaust as tokeep peace with my wife and daughters. So someone will be getting a great deal if they are able to pick up as opposed to me shipping. :)

Reaction score
Ok, did not receive any feedback on the trailering question, but based on all of the positive reviews and input here, I went ahead and ordered it today from Hottexhaust. John there was very helpful. I hope it is not too loud!!

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
I just had my Magnaflow MF installed this morning. I drove it about 50 miles and I love it! It has a deep growl at low RPM and Idle but not to loud. Cruising on the interstate @ 1200-1500 it is almost silent but when it is under a light load going up a hill you can tell it isn’t stock. So far, I haven’t noticed any drone. To put it in a nut shell, it can be quite when you want it too, but a deep growl when you get on it. I also like that it has a nice even rumble/growl throughout all rpms with NO tin can/ rattling sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread