5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow Exhaust installed!

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is humm when mds kicks on so every time I start truck I disengage mds until my edge pulsar come in, the cost was 800 and what a difference I have had borla and magnaflow exhaust in the past but this tunnel ram is by far much better by 3X
How do you like the pulsar? I'm looking into it along with an AFE CAI. Is it worth the money?

Reaction score
Are you guys removing the resonator when installing the Magnaflow? I’m seeing mixed reactions as to If it something worthwhile to do

RenoRam

Reaction score
This isn't my video, but this guy did:

The Magnaflow is on my radar
Video does not do the sound justice imo. It is definitely louder in person and is perfect for what I was seeking, which is an old school v8 sound.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Video does not do the sound justice imo. It is definitely louder in person and is perfect for what I was seeking, which is an old school v8 sound.

Yeah? What were you looking for brother?
Here's how I would describe my truck exhaust quest:
- The stock unit is too quiet. I'm getting ~16mpg, I'm paying for it, dammit I wanna hear it!
- I want to let the engine breathe better, I want a cold start with a little more authority.
I'd like a deeper rumble at low RPMs, subtly hear it in the cabin when driving along (a lazy 15 to 35mph march, I mean), quiet when cruising on the highway, and roar at WOT. As little drone as possible with respect to still getting the mentioned qualities before
I don't like a popping sound, crackling, I don't like a staccato noise.
I think more, "thunder cloud," "rumble", etc.

Also, another video by that same gentleman

louz

Reaction score
I agree... mine sounds SLIGHTLY louder crusing...low rumble... accelerating. med rumble, stomping it ...mid slightly high rumble, still hear the radio fine ,no MDS crap. only noise I notice is when the auto off/on kicks in :) Sounds like a truck !

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sold on the Magnaflow cat-back system after above videos and everyones input! (Thanks to all!) I placed the order for a polished system #19429 even though my Rebel is mainly blacked out but those super deep polished tips should add some "bling" to my flame red/black two tone paint and gloss black/milled Fuel Hardline 18"x9" wheels. The black friday 25% off sale is the time to get ' em ordered! ****update***** My exhaust is being shipped and should be here Friday 12-14-18. Can't wait to get it installed! IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3406.JPG

Last edited:

RenoRam

Reaction score
I am sold on the Magnaflow cat-back system after above videos and everyones input! (Thanks to all!) I placed the order for a polished system #19429 even though my Rebel is mainly blacked out but those super deep polished tips should add some "bling" to my flame red/black two tone paint and gloss black/milled Fuel Hardline 18"x9" wheels. The black friday 25% off sale is the time to get ' em ordered!
Good choice and hope you like it as much as I do. Let us know what you think after installing.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would definitely like to hear your thoughts after the install please.

Lateralus

Reaction score
Placed an order at hottexhaust. It has not given a shipping/back-order status yet. Fingers crossed I get this before Christmas.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah? What were you looking for brother?
Here's how I would describe my truck exhaust quest:
- The stock unit is too quiet. I'm getting ~16mpg, I'm paying for it, dammit I wanna hear it!
- I want to let the engine breathe better, I want a cold start with a little more authority.
I'd like a deeper rumble at low RPMs, subtly hear it in the cabin when driving along (a lazy 15 to 35mph march, I mean), quiet when cruising on the highway, and roar at WOT. As little drone as possible with respect to still getting the mentioned qualities before
I don't like a popping sound, crackling, I don't like a staccato noise.
I think more, "thunder cloud," "rumble", etc.

Also, another video by that same gentleman
How
Yes, all about having them in the right place then tighten the clamps! Side to side in and out!! Very user friendly!

John
Installed my magnaflow 19429 the other day... Others have stated installation was fairly quick after removal of stock exhaust. Not the case for myself. Note* This was my first time ever working on an exhaust and installation was a grueling 4 hour ordeal. I could not get the tips to mount evenly and am reaching out with hopes someone can provide for me some advice on how to adjust properly???

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG-3466.JPG
    IMG-3466.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 115

John

Reaction score
I had the same issue MValdez, I ended up putting a small hose clamp at the hanger to keep the tip in place!

John

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called John at Hottexhaust and it sounds like mid December shipping. I ordered mine 11-26-18 and it is "awaiting shipping" . I bet they can't build them fast enough to keep up with sales especially with the 25% off sale recently. $621 or so at door is killer deal instead of the almost $1000 some other systems can cost. I hope it has good cab sound minimizing drone. I can handle distant thunderstorm rumble but a drone that carries on like a mother in law visiting for the holidays would be disappointing ......lol :oops:

RenoRam

Reaction score
How
Installed my magnaflow 19429 the other day... Others have stated installation was fairly quick after removal of stock exhaust. Not the case for myself. Note* This was my first time ever working on an exhaust and installation was a grueling 4 hour ordeal. I could not get the tips to mount evenly and am reaching out with hopes someone can provide for me some advice on how to adjust properly???
If it was me, I would loosen the clamps again and readjust the pipes and tighten again when they are where you want them. Of course it will be easier with another set of hands.

RenoRam

Reaction score
I called John at Hottexhaust and it sounds like mid December shipping. I ordered mine 11-26-18 and it is "awaiting shipping" . I bet they can't build them fast enough to keep up with sales especially with the 25% off sale recently. $621 or so at door is killer deal instead of the almost $1000 some other systems can cost. I hope it has good cab sound minimizing drone. I can handle distant thunderstorm rumble but a drone that carries on like a mother in law visiting for the holidays would be disappointing ......lol :oops:
It depends on Magnaflow as they drop ship to you. Think you will like the sound and I have no drone at all. It is definitely louder than stock but not bad at highway speed. In the end, it depends on what sound you seek. Let us know after you install.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the 4 cylinder mode sound odd and noticeable inside on highway cruising? Does music easily cover inside sound without being turned up too much? Thanks!

RenoRam

Reaction score
Does the 4 cylinder mode sound odd and noticeable inside on highway cruising? Does music easily cover inside sound without being turned up too much? Thanks!
I dont think it sounds odd but it is noticeable on the highway. Sounds like music imo:). Having music on doesn't have to be up too much at least for me.

768mph

Reaction score
I had the same issue MValdez, I ended up putting a small hose clamp at the hanger to keep the tip in place!

John

I had to do the same thing. The passenger side is a bastard to get hooked up straight. I had to use two big zip ties to straight it out.

If it was me, I would loosen the clamps again and readjust the pipes and tighten again when they are where you want them. Of course it will be easier with another set of hands.

Loosen everything when the exhaust is hot. It’ll take a couple heat cycles. Then tighten from front to back. The connection points are pivot points. Make sure all pipes are seated. A rubber mallet and peice of wood helps

Mallet (wood(pipe)
hammer on.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hear what you guys are saying, but is it only me that feels this should been taken care of on Magnaflow’s end ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread