5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered Laramie Sport

Wadlum22

Reaction score
I love the MaxTrac 2”/4” drop. Installed it about two weeks ago - I did add an upgrade to the rear.... QA1 adjustable shocks (TD903). Smoooth ride!
I looked these up and it says they're for an 05 GTO. You sure that's the right part number for the shocks?

oaviking06

Reaction score
So what are people doing with the Active Dam spoiler that drops down at 35mph? Im looking at the IHC 3/5 kit and just thought about that... seems like there wont be any clearance when the active dam is deployed. I also have the power retractable steps and seems like they too might be scraping the ground when door are open. Any one have these options on their truck and do an IHC kit?

Utemachine

Reaction score
I love lowered full size trucks and wish more people did it. That looks sick man!

Scr8pin

Reaction score
I
So what are people doing with the Active Dam spoiler that drops down at 35mph? Im looking at the IHC 3/5 kit and just thought about that... seems like there wont be any clearance when the active dam is deployed. I also have the power retractable steps and seems like they too might be scraping the ground when door are open. Any one have these options on their truck and do an IHC kit?
Ive only scraped the active air dam like 3 times and my truck is over 3.5” drop front with a rake as my rear is only 4.5” drop. I still have my running boards on and they’re no where close to scraping and I’m pretty sure they’re as low as the retractable ones, I wouldn’t worry too much about those points when dropping your truck, if you’re worried, just disconnect the power for the air dam and running boards, but I wouldn’t bother removing them, the running boards will look like side skirts......that may look pretty cool.

spb_sloram

Reaction score
I played around with it one day, in preparation for me losing mine. It’s not a hard plastic, it’s pliable. I disconnected the plug for it and ran the truck and had no issues. Either that or I thought of disconnecting the bar from the motor so the motor would still operate but wouldn’t actually move the air dam.

LoRAM

Reaction score
Sorry for not answering previous questions, I haven’t been on this site in ages.

20k mile update:
- The rake is killing me, if I could raise the front 1/2” that’d solve all the “issues” I’ve experienced. Unfortunately I can’t drop the rear another 1/2” to eliminate the rake, as it’s already showing signs of bottoming out.
- The active air dam took several beatings before finding it’s final resting place along i35, but looks like the piece can be replaced very easily and cheap
- The front fender liners have taking an even bigger beating
- Alignments a couple times a year seem to put everything back in check for several months, despite only one initial pothole being hit

Betohemi661

Reaction score
Just had my maxtrac kit installed today anything that I should look out for definitely think the rear shocks could be better

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very happy with the IHC Suspension 3/5 drop. I did put rear helper bags in, towed my 18’ trailer with golf cart over 600 miles and no problems, 30 psi in the bags. Alignment is spot on.
How is the ride? I only used the 2” rear lowering springs, Air Lift bags and Hellwig sway bar and the ride has stiffened significantly. And I keep my bags deflated. I love the look of these trucks lowered, I’m just not sure it’s worth the sacrifice (for me). I rode in a buddy’s lowered truck many years ago, and it about jarred my teeth out.

Speedthrills

Reaction score
How is the ride? I only used the 2” rear lowering springs, Air Lift bags and Hellwig sway bar and the ride has stiffened significantly. And I keep my bags deflated. I love the look of these trucks lowered, I’m just not sure it’s worth the sacrifice (for me). I rode in a buddy’s lowered truck many years ago, and it about jarred my teeth out.
It is stiffer in the rear. I'm going to try QA1 shocks on the rear to see if that will help. I also changed the sway bar to Hellwig, I think that may have stiffened the rear also. I might try putting stock sway bar on this weekend to see if that helps before buying new rear shocks. I did install Bilstien front struts and springs instead of stock struts and springs. I may have changed to much at one time.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is stiffer in the rear. I'm going to try QA1 shocks on the rear to see if that will help. I also changed the sway bar to Hellwig, I think that may have stiffened the rear also. I might try putting stock sway bar on this weekend to see if that helps before buying new rear shocks. I did install Bilstien front struts and springs instead of stock struts and springs. I may have changed to much at one time.
After driving with the Hellwig sway bar, I will not give it up. I’m very impressed with the major improvement in cornering. I’m using the middle setting. Which setting did you use? You might try adjusting it before removing it, unless you already have it set on the softest setting. Please keep us updated of your changes and the results of each.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
After driving with the Hellwig sway bar, I will not give it up. I’m very impressed with the major improvement in cornering. I’m using the middle setting. Which setting did you use? You might try adjusting it before removing it, unless you already have it set on the softest setting. Please keep us updated of your changes and the results of each.
I see the roadrace pic and figure we're after the same thing. I installed the -2" Maxtrac springs and Hellwig on the stiffest setting. Flogged it hard today on one of my favorite bumpy, tight backroads. On smooth hairpins it has no understeer, if you lift just as you initiate turn in, then hammer down, it will rotate on line perfectly then squat and hold a line with a hint of throttle oversteer (traction control off). 70 in a 25 is no problem. Add midcorner chop and things get..... interesting. Clearly needs more rebound damping in the front than the stock shocks provide. At regular person speeds it feels very taut and controlled, but I think I'll go to the middle setting on the Helwig and see if that loosens it up just enough that the front and rear are more balanced in terms of chassis flex. In 4Auto on smooth gravel 180s it will happily respond to the Scandinavian Flick.

Hot Rod Ram

Reaction score
Very happy with the IHC Suspension 3/5 drop. I did put rear helper bags in, towed my 18’ trailer with golf cart over 600 miles and no problems, 30 psi in the bags. Alignment is spot on.
What helper bag kit did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread