5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowered Laramie Sport

Scr8pin

Reaction score
that's a perfect, aggressive stance! compliments the rims and gives you a perfect fender to tire ratio
ram3slammwedblack lugz.jpg
A little help from photo shop, this is where im trying to get to using the maxtrac and ihc drops together, use the maxtrac down 1" w/ ihc control arms up front and out back the full ihc 6" drop w/ possibly a c notch and 1/2" more clipped off the spring...….I'm thinking it would settle around 5/7, I live up in Canada so any lower im just plowing snow for everyone else lol, ram2slamwblklug.jpg

lrobbi

Reaction score
View attachment 50849
A little help from photo shop, this is where im trying to get to using the maxtrac and ihc drops together, use the maxtrac down 1" w/ ihc control arms up front and out back the full ihc 6" drop w/ possibly a c notch and 1/2" more clipped off the spring...….I'm thinking it would settle around 5/7, I live up in Canada so any lower im just plowing snow for everyone else lol, View attachment 50854
WOW THAT IS sexy SHARP. Dang that looks gggooooddd. vert nice !!

lrobbi

Reaction score
View attachment 50849
A little help from photo shop, this is where im trying to get to using the maxtrac and ihc drops together, use the maxtrac down 1" w/ ihc control arms up front and out back the full ihc 6" drop w/ possibly a c notch and 1/2" more clipped off the spring...….I'm thinking it would settle around 5/7, I live up in Canada so any lower im just plowing snow for everyone else lol, View attachment 50854
That is a killer look. I think you can make this happen. Please note all the details — this would be killer.

IAMKEENINKS

Reaction score
LoRAM, which 4 link / control arm relocation brackets did you use in the rear? My rear axle shifted fwd maybe an inch since my maxtrac 2/4 drop View attachment 51306 , it’s not super noticeable but I’d like to look into putting it back in place for longevity of components.
Cross88 ... I basically have the same truck. I really want to lower but I wish there was a 1/3 option ... not sure i want to go 2/4 or just 2 in the back. Anyway ... doing some research, did you ever get an answer to your q about the control arm brackets? That's one of my concerns ... I have some experience with suspension changes becuase i have a jeep wrangler TJ with 3.5 inch lift. most people just lift and live with the issues ... but i installed adjustable upper and lower control arms and adj front/rear track bars and an SYE & Drive shaft just to get the TJ back to the original geometry. I worry that 2/4 lower kit on my ram will mess up all the geometry. Am i over thinking it?? Also, when you were shopping for kits ... which mfr's were on your short list... can you give me some ideas to research please. love your truck. can't wait to get mine done ... i'm planning for June. I also want to paint my wheels black with copper trim, looking at exhaust options too. thanks!

Cross88

Reaction score
Cross88 ... I basically have the same truck. I really want to lower but I wish there was a 1/3 option ... not sure i want to go 2/4 or just 2 in the back. Anyway ... doing some research, did you ever get an answer to your q about the control arm brackets? That's one of my concerns ... I have some experience with suspension changes becuase i have a jeep wrangler TJ with 3.5 inch lift. most people just lift and live with the issues ... but i installed adjustable upper and lower control arms and adj front/rear track bars and an SYE & Drive shaft just to get the TJ back to the original geometry. I worry that 2/4 lower kit on my ram will mess up all the geometry. Am i over thinking it?? Also, when you were shopping for kits ... which mfr's were on your short list... can you give me some ideas to research please. love your truck. can't wait to get mine done ... i'm planning for June. I also want to paint my wheels black with copper trim, looking at exhaust options too. thanks!

For starters, thank you I appreciate it. I was also on the fence about the 2/4 drop and was leaning on towards a 1/3. Which can be achieved, but it won’t be a straight up kit, as of right now. I have contacted bell tech and crown neither of which have a kit. Currently I believe we only have 3 options for lowering. Maxtrac, IHC and cutting/fabricating your own. I wasn’t ready to go as low as an IHC kit at 3/5-4/6. I went the 2” rear drop (reverse level) from max Trac, but it wasn’t enough for me. The good thing about my kit is the front is adjustable, anywhere from 0”-3” drop. I believe you can also go lower in the front, by using 4th gen settings, but I think that’s a sketchy area for 5th gens. You can break up your purchase and just get the front, which would be your way to achieve the 1/3. Get the front, set at 1” drop then get the 2” rear drop and cut coil. As far as my rear, I ended up getting an adjustable rear trac bar (to align left to right), hellwig adjustable rear sway bar and sway bar end links. I did find that with the trac bar I purchased I needed the adjustable end links to make everything fit. The end links that came with the kit, in my opinion are too short, unless you keep everything else oem in the rear. Regarding your question about the rear control arm relocation brackets, I have not received and answer to as of yet. I also have not contacted the company itself about it. It’s not that far off and the trucks ride great as it sits. I do have to get my airbags in also for towing. I do like your mindset of making sure everything is back in its proper position tho. I don’t see any extreme angels on mine (2wd), I was mainly interested in the relocation brackets for longevity purposes. I can’t be your decision maker, but if you’re interested in going lower, and a reverse level isn’t enough, I feel a 1/3 won’t be enough either. Just go for the 2/4. Are you overthinking it...? Potentially, but for the right reasons, geometry, which ensures everything is where it’s supposed to be. Hope that helps, any other questions, feel free to ask.

rjberty

Reaction score
Truck looks great at that height.

I have a 4x4 Laramie that I would like to lower and I found a 2/4 drop kit made by Max Trac on other websites but when I go to Max Trac's website it says there is no matches found for my truck so I am very leery on buying this kit. Anyone know if this kit actually works or if there is a good lowering kit for the 4x4 Ram's?

spb_sloram

Reaction score
Based on your guys expirience, what do you think is the largest tire we could go with on a 2/4 drop? I picked up a set of sport wheels for mine, currently stockpiling everything to make the maxtrac 2/4 drop work on my ORP truck. Rims came without tires, so I’m torn between running the 285/45/22 factory size, or going a little taller and wider with a 305/45/22.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I'm piecing mine together. I ordered the max trac rear springs and front adjustable struts. I think I'll cut the coil to try and achieve a 2.5-3" rear drop and set the front for 1" to 1-1/2". I prefer a slight rake as I hate the nose high look and I also haul things from time to time.

The other option is going with the IHC rear 4" kit and adding 1" spacers to raise it back up.

Either way I go I'll be adding a 1/2" spacer to the ds rear coil to counter act the Ram lean lol.

On a side note has anyone compared MT to Mcgaughys? I'm willing to spend the extra money for a high quality spring.

crazycrew

Reaction score
Picked up my Laramie Sport from the shop last night, it was lowered 3” in front and 5” in the rear with a kit from Inez Hotrods. The front was done with upper and lower control arms, and the rear with springs and 4-link relocation. Tires are 285/45/22.

Looks great!

Scr8pin

Reaction score
I have my ram set at 3” in the front and 4” in the rear with the MaxTrac kit, I’ve been on it for over 4 months, no issues with the front end but had to modify the rear bumpstops to stop the bottoming out on dips, the kit has now settled and I sit 3.5 in the front and 4 3/4 in the rear, there’s no lean side to side on these new trucks like the old ones, they drop level if you ask me but the key is buying an adjustable trac bar or you’ll be off Center by at least 1/2 of an inch once it settles. I have no complaints about this kit, great bang for the buck! I’m actually looking at now picking up the ihc stand alone 4 link correction brackets so I don’t tag the frame with them as the springs work themselves in more. I can say from experience that 1” in the front won’t make anyone happy, this body style looks meaner and meaner the closer it gets to the ground.......... 397F4D18-3379-473D-8B92-7ABB5EABFD5A.jpeg

Scr8pin

Reaction score
Actually, has anyone seen or found an extended caster camber kit for these trucks for the upper control arms? Or I’m going to order (if I can) the ihc upper arms and go down to the last setting on the max trac strut, then cut the rear springs and drop down to a 275 45 20 tire to achieve a 5/6 drop......I think that would be the max drop without air I can do lol, just have to remember to remove my active air dam ........ thing scrapes at 3.5 inches already.........but it looks cool when deployed, it sits like a 1/2 inch off the ground...

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
scr8pin, I love the look of yours. Freaking sweet. I won't go that low (we get nasty winters here) but it definitely has moved me to a 2/3 for sure.

Scr8pin

Reaction score
Oh I know snow, where I live in Canada and being a hockey coach I travel all over Ontario and Quebec for hockey in epic weather conditions! I’ve always driven 2wd low riders lol, the only time the get sketchy is when the snow is over a foot deep...........had a lot of those days last winter!

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
So now the MaxTrac kit says it comes with the Rear Trac Bar Bracket and sway bar end links. Is that to center the rear end back up once it's dropped? Is there anybody with a 4wd that has this kit? I have seen several 2wd's with it, and they look great. I am just wondering about ride quality with the 4wd? Any adverse effect on pinion angle?

On another note, my boss just dropped his GMC Sierra on a MaxTrac kit and it looks awesome. The parts look of good quality and the ride seems more sporty than rough. Kind of like a sports car. He just got it back today, so we haven't had a chance to put many miles on it yet. But the short drives we took today everything seems great.

Scr8pin

Reaction score
I had to buy an adjustable trac bar, to get the rear perfect. I wouldn’t worry so much about Pinion angle In the rear as I would about having components tagging the frame on a 4x4, the 4” settles a bit lower than you would think lol , now I’m looking at ihc’s 4 link brackets to correct all of that, as for the front, I have the coil over set at 3 inches and I think 2” would be your max up front, I think anything lower up there and you’re going to run into problems and end up modifying a whole bunch of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread