5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low speed shifting

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was having this same issue - came back from a trip and in airport parking - truck wouldn't shift out of first gear and had to be towed in to dealership, and it's waiting on a valve body replacement. It's been in for 15 days, now, and finally got the Grand Cherokee loaner swapped out for a plain Jane 2WD Ram truck today. Part came in 5 days ago, but technician just noticed that the "pan to the transmission and one of the sensors on the valve body were damaged in the box". I don't know why they don't inspect them when they come in... So hopefully it will only be another couple weeks in the base model truck waiting for the backorder. I'm not happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi Teamcook,

I do sincerely apologize for the frustration that has been associated with your situation. Please know that if you are in need of any extra support while your truck is in service, our team is just a PM away and happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

derp

Reaction score
My current first hand experience is that NO, they do not automatically check for outstanding tsbs at sale, service or when bringing in for repair.

Ive had to email the tsbs off of this site to a service manager before they would even accept the possibility of it being applicable.

Teamcook

Reaction score
Hi Teamcook,

I do sincerely apologize for the frustration that has been associated with your situation. Please know that if you are in need of any extra support while your truck is in service, our team is just a PM away and happy to help.

Mark
RamCares
So, after VOR-ing the order, my replacement valve body is due in next Monday - assuming they complete repair by the 8th, it will have been in the shop just two days short of four weeks... Here's hoping the part comes in, is not damaged, and gets installed in a reasonable timeframe.

RamCares

Reaction score
So, after VOR-ing the order, my replacement valve body is due in next Monday - assuming they complete repair by the 8th, it will have been in the shop just two days short of four weeks... Here's hoping the part comes in, is not damaged, and gets installed in a reasonable timeframe.

Please be sure to keep us updated, Teamcook. Do not hesitate to send us a PM if needed!

Mark
RamCares

Teamcook

Reaction score
Please be sure to keep us updated, Teamcook. Do not hesitate to send us a PM if needed!

Mark
RamCares
Part didn't come in today, now ETA is the 8th, so looking like will be in the shop a solid 4 weeks. Nothing the dealer can do until the part comes in, of course.

Teamcook

Reaction score
Part didn't come in today, now ETA is the 8th, so looking like will be in the shop a solid 4 weeks. Nothing the dealer can do until the part comes in, of course.

Part didn't come in yesterday, either. ETA is now the 13th, and I don't trust it. Can RamCares help?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Part didn't come in yesterday, either. ETA is now the 13th, and I don't trust it. Can RamCares help?

besides pinging @RamCares I would send them a PM. Maybe they can help track down your part and make sure the can doesn’t keep getting kicked down the road. I also hope that you are being compensated in some way for your 4 weeks without your new truck.

Teamcook

Reaction score
besides pinging @RamCares I would send them a PM. Maybe they can help track down your part and make sure the can doesn’t keep getting kicked down the road. I also hope that you are being compensated in some way for your 4 weeks without your new truck.
Patsy - I have PM'd them this evening, and for the edification of the group, here is the message I sent:

"So, my truck has now been in the shop four weeks, and the latest delayed ETA for the part is Monday the 13 th, at which point the truck will have been in the shop for one month, or 1/8th of the time I've owned it. The first part that came in was damaged, and the shop didn't do an inspection on it, so they didn't find the issue until 6 days later. The loaner truck they've provided is only 2WD, and doesn't have the running boards or the covered bed that my truck has. My arthritis makes it difficult to climb in and out, without the running boards. This is ridiculous! Can you help?"

Only compensation is a less-than-comparable loaner, but the dealer says it's the highest model they stock as loaners - it's a 2WD Hemi Lone Star - decent base truck but missing the extras that my truck has, plus the accommodations I've added to help me in my daily life. Plus, it's not mine... If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm listening.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Patsy - I have PM'd them this evening, and for the edification of the group, here is the message I sent:

"So, my truck has now been in the shop four weeks, and the latest delayed ETA for the part is Monday the 13 th, at which point the truck will have been in the shop for one month, or 1/8th of the time I've owned it. The first part that came in was damaged, and the shop didn't do an inspection on it, so they didn't find the issue until 6 days later. The loaner truck they've provided is only 2WD, and doesn't have the running boards or the covered bed that my truck has. My arthritis makes it difficult to climb in and out, without the running boards. This is ridiculous! Can you help?"

Only compensation is a less-than-comparable loaner, but the dealer says it's the highest model they stock as loaners - it's a 2WD Hemi Lone Star - decent base truck but missing the extras that my truck has, plus the accommodations I've added to help me in my daily life. Plus, it's not mine... If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm listening.

it all comes down to how much of a stink you want to make and how much of an effort you want to undertake. Technically you are approaching lemon law territory, each state varies so you will have to check yours which you can do by researching online or by consulting a local attorney. Fca and your dealer, if for no other reason, selfishly, will NOT, want this vehicle “lemon’d”, so I would expect your customer service to all of a sudden increase exponentially.

As you point out above your compensation of a loaner does not adequately compensate you for being without your truck. It is not an equal truck. You have had your time taken up. Aggravation. Losing use of your new vehicle for a month (depreciation), etc. So you are within your eighths, IMO, to request monetary compensation from FCA for the inconvenience and for NOT proceeding with the lemon law, if that is what you decide.

Keep documenting everything. See how your vehicle is when you get it back. Is it a 100%? If you think it is, ask FCA what they will do for you to make up the shortfall between the inconvenience and not having full use of your new truck. You might have to get firm and threaten the lemon law, if you qualify.

So I would do your homework. Get smart. Prepare to negotiate. Be reasonable but be firm. You are entitled to something. Maybe they cut you a check. Maybe you get a free long term extend warranty (I’d want the longest).

Good luck. Keep us posted.

RamCares

Reaction score

Thank you for taking the time to reach out, I just had a chance to respond to your PM!

Mark
RamCares

Teamcook

Reaction score
So, just got the email last night that my escalated case has been assigned... To Jeep Customer Care... I know Jeep is part of FCA, but I was sort of surprised... By the way, after multiple calls yesterday, I finally determined that my part... Has a new ETA - It's now supposed to arrive Thursday, 16 JAN. As of today, my truck has been at the dealership 33 days...

Teamcook

Reaction score
RamCares got back to me, yesterday. After talking with the parts supply chain, the CORRECTED ETA for my valve body is Feb 25th. At that point, my truck will have been out of service for 10.5 weeks. I have no words...

keanezheng

Reaction score
Hey OP, my 2019 Laramie seems to have the same issue. I got it used with only 6700 miles from a Ram dealer and now I put about 900 miles on. Did you get your issue resolved? Mine is pretty new, first purchase reported in September of 2019 and the build date is June of 2019. Prob the last batch of 2019 model...cuz the 2020s came in the summer.

I assume most of the flash updates should have been addressed? Is it possible it still needs an update?

I am concerned that if I take it to the dealer and it's not severe shifting issue, they will just call it normal and charge me $160 diagnosis fee...

mbp671

Reaction score
There are TSBs for the transmission.
Several updates.
Take it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noticed mine is now slipping when slowing down at about 10 mph, I’m at 22k miles, bought my truck in 2020, would you think this tsb was completed before I bought it?

Morenar

Reaction score
I have been having same issue on my 2021. Shifting in moderate to high speeds from a dead stop from 1-2-3 you can really feel the shifts. Every gear after, smooth as can be. I have 7800 miles on mine. I had me 2017 Sierra lemon'd last year for transmission issues. Hope I don't have to deal with the same thing on my Ram. It's at the dealer know being looked at.

Svt40

Reaction score
Same thing here. I even complained about it on the customer satisfaction survey Ram sent me a week or so ago.

It's like the transmission has no idea what gear to be in when the throttle openings are small. If you get on it, it works like it should.

Mine is a 2021 with 1600 miles

Morenar

Reaction score
Well got the typical response just now from the SA. They confirmed they see what it's doing but no code - no repair. It's documented so if something happens in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread