5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did the same as Zeeya, I trimmed a 1/8" of the top and bottom of the plate with a tin snips, smoothed edge with a grinder and file, then made the top holes in the plate to slots to fit to the top of the VLED fixture. In all lowered the backup light about 1/4" from original plate position and original holes in bumper covered by VLED. No rubbing issue, at least 3/16" gap between the VLED and the tailgate. Love the light for backing.

You shouldn't have to do that though, VLED needs to change the process a bit for our 5th Gen Rams.

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do that though, VLED needs to change the process a bit for our 5th Gen Rams.

I don't really understand this statement. VLED offers a universal reverse light not designed for any specific vehicle application. Any product designed as a generic or universal modification is expected to possibly need some adjustment to fit your exact application. You can't expect application-specific perfection when thats not what they're selling.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't really understand this statement. VLED offers a universal reverse light not designed for any specific vehicle application. Any product designed as a generic or universal modification is expected to possibly need some adjustment to fit your exact application. You can't expect application-specific perfection when thats not what they're selling.

Maybe they need to modify Licence plates then :ROFLMAO: :giggle:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

But, you CAN hope that they will make a universal design that is even more universal...

A design that did not stick up so high above the top of the license plate would work for us and still work for all the other applications. I.e. more universal.

Jonathan19Limited

Reaction score
But, you CAN hope that they will make a universal design that is even more universal...

A design that did not stick up so high above the top of the license plate would work for us and still work for all the other applications. I.e. more universal.

Sure, you can hope for that.

But if I was the manufacturer that already developed a universal product that fits almost every vehicle with limited to no modification, I'm not going to eat the additional R&D cost to re-design the product to fit one specific application more perfectly. I'm either going to transfer that added cost to the price of the new product, or leave it as is and tell those owners to modify as needed or not buy it.

I'd rather just take the extra 5-10min. to make the current product work now and move on.

geotex1

Reaction score
Interesting debate above here about VLEDS... Probably would help to know they do not manufacture anything themselves. They run under a contract manufacturing model, and product development seems to be purely on a "pull" model and no "push." Kind of odd in the automotive aftermarket honestly, but a very common model these days. My company went from roots in entrepreneurial push when founded in the 1980s through 2010, and enjoyed great success, growth and expansion. Here in 2019 we are entirely oriented around pull.

I found this out when approaching them for a customized item based off one of their existing products for which I was willing to order 50 units. That was not enough for them to meet their manufacturers' minimum requirements unfortunately. They're a great little company focused on vetting and offering quality products with great customer support. However, don't hold out in hopes of a custom solution as was said.

Conversely, looking at the membership number here, I bet if we could get 10% of the membership to commit to purchase it would tick the box for minimum quantity and for them to make $omething acceptable for their effort.

In the meantime, loosen your rear bumper and lower it a smidge! :cool: In all seriousness, not having problems with rubbing on my truck or any friends and acquaintances I steered to install just the LPR. I have now seem where the LPR with their optional plate frame rubs bad. It's because the frame "stacks" the LPR on it and that sandwich protrudes significantly off the bumper face, and lands the leading edge of the LPR right where the profile of the tailgate transitions.

AartWessels

Reaction score
What really surprises me is that you guys spend over 100$ on a product, and then start modding it. The light strip they use on this product is less than 10$, so why not order a couple of different ones and experiment with that? It will require the same amount of modding, just for less than half the money.

Zeeya

Reaction score
The link shows it does NOT fit a 2019 and newer Ram 1500.
Read back on post if you get time, There is a problem with it touching the tailgate when lowered. Some, including myself have done small modifications like trim license plate and drill holes just below factory holes. No metal behind it, unless you drilled full length of bit, remount in new holes. The license plate and light bar cover the factory holes.
Probably 15 minutes with dremel tool and smoothed it down. Was well worth it to me.
If you watch site or sign up up, they throw 20-25% off around holidays.

Zeeya

Reaction score
What really surprises me is that you guys spend over 100$ on a product, and then start modding it. The light strip they use on this product is less than 10$, so why not order a couple of different ones and experiment with that? It will require the same amount of modding, just for less than half the money.
I personally took it off of the truck I traded in. I’ve had it for over a year. I’m highly satisfied with it and it took roughly 15 minutes to trim the plate. I’ve ordered some of the plastic ones and ended up junking them after they fade or crack w W Texas heat. The cnc’d Aluminum as they call it has not faded, cracked, or paint peeled off.
I do see ur point, but I’m not as big into experimenting as I used to be. I’ll buy another one when this one gives out.

BLB

Reaction score
Made a slight modification to the install. Took the "T" harness from Curt and took the wiring loom off and shortened the 5 pin connector side to make it easier to install underneath the truck. After seeing what you guys were zip tying up, I was amazed at the excess of material. And of course I turned the truck in today to get the doors aligned and some other things done to it at the dealership. But here is my little project
. IMG_0339.jpeg IMG_0340.jpeg IMG_0342.jpeg IMG_0345.jpeg IMG_0346.jpeg IMG_0347.jpeg

U

User_21361

Made a slight modification to the install. Took the "T" harness from Curt and took the wiring loom off and shortened the 5 pin connector side to make it easier to install underneath the truck. After seeing what you guys were zip tying up, I was amazed at the excess of material. And of course I turned the truck in today to get the doors aligned and some other things done to it at the dealership. But here is my little project

It's so funny. I have the exact same plans and parts sitting in my garage waiting for my kid to go to bed to get started. The harness is huge! Haha

I'm anxious to see the fit with all the comments on the tailgate rubbing. How is yours looking?

U

User_21361

Test fitment shows it definitely rubs. I plan to hold on to it until the end of my 30 day return window to see if they have an updated version I can swap for. This was on sale for 25% off and it was worth a try.

I don't have a plate yet to determine if I want to trim to make it fit. Though I held the the bracket where I expect to mount if I go that route. I'm not very happy with the clearance when lowered either. The way the tailgate sits, I worry about anything protruding from the bumper. I do like the idea of pushing the bumper back a bit with a heat gun.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
. View attachment 37915 View attachment 37916 View attachment 37917 View attachment 37918 View attachment 37919 View attachment 37920

I did the same thing - except I could see zero point in including that 5-pin connection in the middle there. Extra money. Extra place for water/corrosion/whatever. The one thing I should have done was cut the power lead for the light way down, like you did. I still ended up with a fat coil of that wire under my bumper.

I posted pictures in this thread back when I did it.

Reactions: BLB

BLB

Reaction score
It's so funny. I have the exact same plans and parts sitting in my garage waiting for my kid to go to bed to get started. The harness is huge! Haha

I'm anxious to see the fit with all the comments on the tailgate rubbing. How is yours looking?
I should get the truck back tomorrow, so Friday afternoon install is most likely. I'll be checking the clearance issue as I install.

BLB

Reaction score

Finally got the install done this morning, It clears but barely. I pulled down on the tailgate to make sure and it clears with less than 1/8".

U

User_21361

Finally got the install done this morning, It clears but barely. I pulled down on the tailgate to make sure and it clears with less than 1/8".

Sweet! I wish I was so lucky. I opted for trimming the plate and lowering the bolts so I could fit the light. I just hated the look of every other auxiliary reverse light

BLB

Reaction score
Sweet! I wish I was so lucky. I opted for trimming the plate and lowering the bolts so I could fit the light. I just hated the look of every other auxiliary reverse light

So far I really like it. I couldn't bring myself to cut holes in brand new truck bumper for flush mounted lights and I really didn't like the idea of mounting lights that hung down from the back. This thing is perfect for the back of this truck.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
I did the same thing - except I could see zero point in including that 5-pin connection in the middle there.
I thought the same thing but now i think i screwed up. IF i ever decide to add a tailgate strip it would've been nice to have it so i could just do a 5 pin splitter

Users who are viewing this thread