5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

jimk hunt

Reaction score
This only applies to the multi function tailgate.
The link shows it does NOT fit a 2019 and newer Ram 1500.
VLEDS states this won't fit the multi function tailgate. No warnings about the standard tailgate.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This only applies to the multi function tailgate.

VLEDS states this won't fit the multi function tailgate. No warnings about the standard tailgate.
Hmm... That's new. It used to read 2019 1500. Period. Wonder if t hey have already released the redesign that they talked about a few months ago. If they have, I will def get another one.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just reached out to them to find out if the new ones are the redesigned models. Will post when they text me back.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Ok so I did an online chat with VLEDs asking about the fit on the standard gate. Was told that there should be no contact as long as the frame was not used as well. Since I only had the light, decided to test fit before bothering with the wiring. Well the gate does come in contact with the light at the very end of the down motion of the gate. It would be accurate to say the gate comes to rest on the light bar. As you can imagine this will result in some rubbing as you put weight on the gate. So I took it off and called it a day.
I did get the hellwig sway bar installed but haven't driven it yet.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok so I did an online chat with VLEDs asking about the fit on the standard gate. Was told that there should be no contact as long as the frame was not used as well. Since I only had the light, decided to test fit before bothering with the wiring. Well the gate does come in contact with the light at the very end of the down motion of the gate. It would be accurate to say the gate comes to rest on the light bar. As you can imagine this will result in some rubbing as you put weight on the gate. So I took it off and called it a day.
I did get the hellwig sway bar installed but haven't driven it yet.
Thanks for checking. This is the experience those of us had when we got the first ones released in June of last year. Rubbing on the top of the light.
Just curious. When did you purchase yours?

reb0957

Reaction score
While I agree take care of your customers, isn't it listed a generic light?
I was fixing to buy this bad boy myself. I am glad for this thread because my license plate has a lip that sits really high and that light would have left a crease in my tailgate.

tcrews

Reaction score
I just purchased one of these VLEDs to be delivered today. Has anyone installed them with the included hardware or has everyone installed with the adapters? Thanks.

RAMLAMB

Reaction score
I just purchased one of these VLEDs to be delivered today. Has anyone installed them with the included hardware or has everyone installed with the adapters? Thanks.

What are the adapters? I got mine in Tuesday but did not open the FedEx package, so why did I pay for 2 day shipping SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the record, when I installed my LPR, I found that it slightly rubbed the tailgate when fully open. So, I took it off.

Later, I backed into a pole (idiot!!) and had to have my bumper and tailgate replaced. I'm blaming that on not having the LPR installed... ;)

Yesterday, I put the LPR back on and with the new tailgate and bumper it does not rub. Not sure why. Maybe when the shop installed the new bumper, it hung down just a smidge lower when they tightened up the bolts that hold it on? I don't know. But, I'm glad to being back to having that extra light!

reb0957

Reaction score
Curiosity question, Are the people having rub issues on painted bumpers like the sport package? Someone has a chrome bumpered Laramie and that bumper sits lower than my sport one?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Curiosity question, Are the people having rub issues on painted bumpers like the sport package? Someone has a chrome bumpered Laramie and that bumper sits lower than my sport one?
I have chrome bumpers on my Limited and mine rubbed also, so no, they don’t sit lower.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mount it upside down, which I did not want to do as it looks goofy in my opinion.
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that when I installed the Vled light, my tailgate would strike it when opened. I indicated that I just “reversed” it, sorry for that description, would have been better to say I installed it on the bottom of the license plate. I agree it does look a little odd, but it still functions as well. I don’t know if you purchased the license plate holder from Vled, but I did and that does help a little with the “appearance “ thing. It also made me think about if I had not used the license plate holder if there would have been enough clearance? I know there would have been more, but maybe still not enough. Anyway I have the holder and like it’s look so I am stuck with the light on the bottom,

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that when I installed the Vled light, my tailgate would strike it when opened. I indicated that I just “reversed” it, sorry for that description, would have been better to say I installed it on the bottom of the license plate. I agree it does look a little odd, but it still functions as well. I don’t know if you purchased the license plate holder from Vled, but I did and that does help a little with the “appearance “ thing. It also made me think about if I had not used the license plate holder if there would have been enough clearance? I know there would have been more, but maybe still not enough. Anyway I have the holder and like it’s look so I am stuck with the light on the bottom,
Thanks.
I did not have the holder, just the LPR, and it did not clear either. It’s just a tad too big to fit our trucks right side up.
VLEds did mention that they would come out with a model that would fit our trucks. If they do, I will give it another try, as I really liked the amount of light it put out.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks.
I did not have the holder, just the LPR, and it did not clear either. It’s just a tad too big to fit our trucks right side up.
VLEds did mention that they would come out with a model that would fit our trucks. If they do, I will give it another try, as I really liked the amount of light it put out.
Yes, the amount of light is awesome, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread