5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

Griff

Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I thought I did that, but no lights. I will need to crawl under again and check the clips. I hate those, I will just use wire nuts. Thanks for the info though. Most likely a back connection with the clips on my end.
That's the way I have mine wired. I didn't use the clips though so that may be it.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something's not meshing on my setup. I bought the extra wiring harnesses for trailer to connect it by pigtailing it to the 4 way harness that splits off the 7 way wiring harness - the 2 items mentioned at the beginning of the post. Connected the VLED to the blue and white of the trailer male 4-way. No reverse lights. I trouble shot it all. I then removed the additional wiring harness and connected it using the included clip to "T" off the existing wires. They show you going into the tail lights, I went into the trailer harness. Connected the VLED wires directly to the white and Blue wires going right into the vehicle side 7-way trailer harness. Now, I get a flickering of the LED reverse light, but it now fools the truck into thinking a trailer is connected. Reverse backup sensor is off and cannot be put on and the info-display says Trailer Connected, please go to vehicle info to set it up. Has anyone connected it without the additional harness? Or if you did hte additional harneess with 4-way pigtailed, did you also connect the VLED to the white and Blue wires???

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Something's not meshing on my setup. I bought the extra wiring harnesses for trailer to connect it by pigtailing it to the 4 way harness that splits off the 7 way wiring harness - the 2 items mentioned at the beginning of the post. Connected the VLED to the blue and white of the trailer male 4-way. No reverse lights. I trouble shot it all. I then removed the additional wiring harness and connected it using the included clip to "T" off the existing wires. They show you going into the tail lights, I went into the trailer harness. Connected the VLED wires directly to the white and Blue wires going right into the vehicle side 7-way trailer harness. Now, I get a flickering of the LED reverse light, but it now fools the truck into thinking a trailer is connected. Reverse backup sensor is off and cannot be put on and the info-display says Trailer Connected, please go to vehicle info to set it up. Has anyone connected it without the additional harness? Or if you did hte additional harneess with 4-way pigtailed, did you also connect the VLED to the white and Blue wires???

Did you buy the 7 to 4 or 7 to 5 adapter. A normal 4 pin harness does NOT have reverse output. The 7 to 5 adapter does.. (thats the 5 wire, for reverse, used for trailering brakes, etc)

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you buy the 7 to 4 or 7 to 5 adapter. A normal 4 pin harness does NOT have reverse output. The 7 to 5 adapter does.. (thats the 5 wire, for reverse, used for trailering brakes, etc)
Ah-ha! I bouth 7-4. Now that makes sense. I knew there had to be a reason. The weird thing is connecting it directly into the factory 7 harness triggered the Trailer connected message on the info screen. So I guess you cannot do it there and need the extra wireing harnesses. I even called VLED.

Thanks, I will go get a 5 pin harness!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ah-ha! I bouth 7-4. Now that makes sense. I knew there had to be a reason. The weird thing is connecting it directly into the factory 7 harness triggered the Trailer connected message on the info screen. So I guess you cannot do it there and need the extra wireing harnesses. I even called VLED.

Thanks, I will go get a 5 pin harness!

I Bought these two...installed with no issue (soldered the connections).

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I have the 5 pin connector. Connected it to White and Blue. No luck. Perplexed... VLEDs is going to send me a new one since when I jumped it directly off the battery, it had only a little light power.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. Was there a reason not to splice into the reverse light wires with the DuoTap included with the light bar? Seems clean and simple unless the wires are difficult to reach or you wanted the whole rig to be removable without a trace.
I just spliced right into the vehicles factory 7pin while trouble shooting my connections. This is not a good way, as the connection tricked the truck into thinking a trailer was connected. Infoscreen said Trailer Connected, enter Setup. and Reverse Collision sensor was deactivated and could not go back on.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IT'S THE TRUCK!

Well, after 2 hours of trouble shooting, a new continuity tester bec. old one had a blown bulb, I am finding that it is probably the actual trailer wiring in the truck. I tested the 7 pins in the wiring harness, and only the Hot and Right Directional have power (probably the brake too but didn't check that). The REVERSE and LEFT DIRECTIONAL do not get any power. When left directional is on, Hazzards, and of course when truck is in Reverse. So, it looks like a trip to the dealer is required unless someone can check their harness pins and see if they get the same thing.

7 Pin Harness Config.
7 o'clock is the Common so always touch that.
1 o'clock is the HOT - always lights when touching it with common
3 o'clock is Right Directional - that works
9 o'clock is Left Directional - that does NOT work - no blinking light on tester.
Center pins are the Reverse Lights - They do Not light the tester either.

Well, the silver lining I guess is at least I found this out now, now in May when pulling the trailer onto the beach.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FIXED! It was the Freaking Fuses!

I must have blown the Reverse 20amp fuse and the Left Directional 10a fuse when setting it up and testing. Made no sense that the left directional on trailer harness would not work, then it dawned on me - fuses!!! By now I should know to always check the simplest part first. I was messing with wires and continuity all day!

trook

Reaction score
But we are still able to use the 7 prong connector for a trailer, correct? I suppose the female end of the 7 prong connector replaces the factory 7 prong connector?

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But we are still able to use the 7 prong connector for a trailer, correct? I suppose the female end of the 7 prong connector replaces the factory 7 prong connector?

Correct, if you buy the curt harness that was listed

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had trouble splicing into those trailer harness wires as well with clips (for my bed leds constant power), hard to get a good bite. I’m sure you guys know this and I’m guessing it says it earlier in this thread but it’s a million times easier to push that trailer harness “thru the bumper” vs crawling underneath and making the connections laying on your back. There are two silver clips, one on each side of the trailer harness, if you push/pinch them inward and then push the harness toward the bumper, you’ll see the clip come loose. Then you can work on the wires up at the bumper. When you’re done, put the harness back thru and just climb underneath to zip everything neat.
(y)(y)

krakenatwork

Reaction score
sdagdfsgdsfgertghrth

Best I could do!
View attachment 20132

After installing my CURT connector I annotated your pic:

The only thing I'll do different from you is that I'll use a 5-pin trailer adapter plugged in the end of the CURT connector, with soldered/shrink wrapped connections to the long extension wire provided with the VLEDS. I'll snap a pic when I'll be done.

macallien

Reaction score
After installing my CURT connector I annotated your pic:
View attachment 24017

The only thing I'll do different from you is that I'll use a 5-pin trailer adapter plugged in the end of the CURT connector, with soldered/shrink wrapped connections to the long extension wire provided with the VLEDS. I'll snap a pic when I'll be done.
nice!

krakenatwork

Reaction score
This is what I meant; had fun making it.

This way the VLEDs aren't modified, with the KURT 5-way T my truck's wiring is not modified, and the KURT harness itself is not modified.

Edit: to know which wire was positive and which was negative, I connected the extension to the VLEDs and used a 9v battery as a tester. Enough voltage to light up the LEDs so you know the polarity if the circuit is established, not enough amps to burn anything if the circuit is in reverse.

Jst4kix

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Thanks for this thread! Just ordered the license plate light as well as the license plate bracket made for the light (both with the 15% discount using code LPR15) from the vleds site. The light is backordered and won’t ship until mid-May, and the bracket is a new product and won’t ship until June (according to the website). Looks like I’ll have plenty of time to get my harness finished, lol. Below are the wiring pieces I bought from Amazon to connect everything. Can someone please confirm I got the correct parts to build the plug needed to connect to the 5-pin on the Curt T-connector? Thanks in advance!!

b0e7c2f1325dc84a0e27fa8df121e8d9.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Thanks for this thread! Just ordered the license plate light as well as the license plate bracket made for the light (both with the 15% discount using code LPR15) from the vleds site. The light is backordered and won’t ship until mid-May, and the bracket is a new product and won’t ship until June (according to the website). Looks like I’ll have plenty of time to get my harness finished, lol. Below are the wiring pieces I bought from Amazon to connect everything. Can someone please confirm I got the correct parts to build the plug needed to connect to the 5-pin on the Curt T-connector? Thanks in advance!!

b0e7c2f1325dc84a0e27fa8df121e8d9.jpg
Thanks for the posting and info. When you receive the license plate bracket a picture with the license plate would be appreciated and the material it is made of.

I'm from the "progressive ?" New York City/State that is in constant need of revenue. My friend's wife received a ticket for license plate obstruction because it blocked the lower portion "New York State", (dealer license plate frame) . The ticket was issued (I believe) by a NYS Trooper in a small town. This is the second time I have heard of this issue but can not recall the particulars of the first incident.

I have trimmed the lower portion of license plate brackets to avoid any "BS" revenue summons.

Jst4kix

Reaction score
Thanks for the posting and info. When you receive the license plate bracket a picture with the license plate would be appreciated and the material it is made of.

I'm from the "progressive ?" New York City/State that is in constant need of revenue. My friend's wife received a ticket for license plate obstruction because it blocked the lower portion "New York State", (dealer license plate frame) . The ticket was issued (I believe) by a NYS Trooper in a small town. This is the second time I have heard of this issue but can not recall the particulars of the first incident.

I have trimmed the lower portion of license plate brackets to avoid any "BS" revenue summons.

Will absolutely post pics when it arrives. Here’s the link to the cover so you can check out the product pics: https://www.vleds.com/shop-products/lpr/lpr-lpb-full-frame.html.

Still looking for confirmation that I bought the right trailer connector 5-pin setup to build the connector for the Curt T-connector. This one was a good price and in stock on Amazon, so I went with it. Thanks in advance!

macallien

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread