5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather dash lifting away and crating bubbles, seats peeling

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have been doing these leather dashes for quite a long time. I definitely do not think it is a common problem but I’m sure it happens. Definitely should be covered under warranty

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing - both sides of dash - and the plastic over the tray. Waiting for the next time I'm out by the dealer (for my windshield wiper recall) to open a ticket on this.

Surprised you use a shade and this still happened. Dealer asked me if I used one (I don't). Manual doesn't say to use one - and it didn't come with one.

First truck with leather dash - none of my previous vehicles ever had an issue. Never used a shade on any of them.

Once they replace it - I will use a shade - but until then...

This seems to be a common issue...

Rick
Not a common issue...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow, glad i have the faux leather on my laramie dash, looks to be alot more durable than the limited trim.
I was thinking the same thing about my Laramie. Only problem for me is the wife's Limited has the same leather dash LOL.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Curious if you confirmed you use Armor All?
I used to use the reg AA until about four years ago. Cheap and gets the job done with some UV protection. I still have and use the version for leather/vinyl surfaces.
Never had an issues with any surfaces delaminating in over twenty years. I just switched to lower gloss product for the dash though.

mtehonica

Reaction score
Same problem here - making a service appointment this week

For what it's worth, I've never used AA - always just a quick spray of Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner (if needed) and a light touch of Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner every month or so.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to use the reg AA until about four years ago. Cheap and gets the job done with some UV protection. I still have and use the version for leather/vinyl surfaces.
Never had an issues with any surfaces delaminating in over twenty years. I just switched to lower gloss product for the dash though.

Just throwing it out there that 303 Aero is not too expensive and a much better product...not saying AA is to blame for anything.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there that 303 Aero is not too expensive and a much better product...not saying AA is to blame for anything.
That's what I've been using for the last couple of years. For seats I use Griot's leather conditioner.

Cheers,

The Critic

Reaction score
All of the water-based interior dressings or exterior protectants contain some percentage of Polydimethyl Siloxane. The concentrations are just tweaked depending on the brand.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and I recently starting noticing my leather is pulling away from the dash and in a matter of a month it's become pretty significant. I always use a window shade on the windshield. It's also starting t crack/peel near above the upper tray where they power outlet is. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I'm going t take to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm hoping they will take one look at it and just honor it as a defect under the warranty. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if should expect a hard time about getting it resolved.

I also have a separate issue where the leather seats are peeling on the sides, my assumption is they will say that s normal wear and tear, which I think would be ridiculous considering the truck is only 22 months old. The interior materials just don't seem to be the quality that it should be.
View attachment 68421 View attachment 68422 View attachment 68423
View attachment 68424 View attachment 68425
This is an old thread but im absolutely 99.9% certain it has to do with how hot the interior gets if youbhave the panoramic sunroof. Its ridiculously hot inside and thats with having 5% tint on my limited. I also had the side of the top of the drivers side above the instrument cluster start to pop off. Adhesive will fix it but definitely an issue that has a source, and I believe it to be simple heat extremities, it gets up to 106-108 in my area in California and i imagine the inside being a lot hotter

6thgenram

Reaction score
I am incredibly disappointed with Stellantis (Ram). I have owned 2 Dodge Rams, 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 3 Rams. This entire time I’ve been their biggest advocate. Until now. The last Ram is a 2019 Ram Longhorn and the most expensive. They have declined my CS claim regarding the leather dash separating and continuing to get worse. The reason was the mileage. 79k at the time. I’m sorry I drive a lot for work but last I checked miles will not cause leather to separate. You would think with the dash issues Dodge was known for they would be more receptive to claim.

Never thought I would say this but looks like a may be switching soon.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am incredibly disappointed with Stellantis (Ram). I have owned 2 Dodge Rams, 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 3 Rams. This entire time I’ve been their biggest advocate. Until now. The last Ram is a 2019 Ram Longhorn and the most expensive. They have declined my CS claim regarding the leather dash separating and continuing to get worse. The reason was the mileage. 79k at the time. I’m sorry I drive a lot for work but last I checked miles will not cause leather to separate. You would think with the dash issues Dodge was known for they would be more receptive to claim.

That sucks, but that's the dealership for you, if you are out, you are out unless you have a really special relationship with them, usually a service advisor who will go to bat for you.

But not all is lost, call a local auto upholstery shop in your area, one with strong reviews. They usually can fix that pretty easily and for a lot less than paying the dealership for a new one. Some repairs can even be done without removing the dash.

6thgenram

Reaction score
That sucks, but that's the dealership for you, if you are out, you are out unless you have a really special relationship with them, usually a service advisor who will go to bat for you.

But not all is lost, call a local auto upholstery shop in your area, one with strong reviews. They usually can fix that pretty easily and for a lot less than paying the dealership for a new one. Some repairs can even be done without removing the dash.
Thanks

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

every manufacture has the same issue with leather dash. The heat causes them to seperate. Just like ram, every manufacture is the same, if you are out of warranty, you are SOL. Not sure why you are disappointed in ram, not their fault you are out of warranty.

6thgenram

Reaction score
every manufacture has the same issue with leather dash. The heat causes them to seperate. Just like ram, every manufacture is the same, if you are out of warranty, you are SOL. Not sure why you are disappointed in ram, not their fault you are out of warranty.
I’m disappointed in the fact they wouldn’t fix their supplier issue. And yes I have the 100k warranty.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems that only the base 3/36 warranty will get these type of things fixed. Extended warranties do not which is dissapointing to say the least. I guess the extended is not really an extension of the 3/36.

And terrible CS is unfortunately the norm for Ram and Dodge. Is yet another reason to stick with leases.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It seems that only the base 3/36 warranty will get these type of things fixed. Extended warranties do not which is dissapointing to say the least. I guess the extended is not really an extension of the 3/36.

And terrible CS is unfortunately the norm for Ram and Dodge. Is yet another reason to stick with leases.

So, based on the Maxcare coverage below, I can't see a single thing that says the dash shouldn't be covered.

WHAT’S NOT COVERED UNDER
OUR MAXIMUM CARESM PLANS
The only parts and labor not covered:

• Maintenance Services and items used in
such services
• Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter
• Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs
• Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim)
• Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches
• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch
Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes,

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, based on the Maxcare coverage below, I can't see a single thing that says the dash shouldn't be covered.

WHAT’S NOT COVERED UNDER
OUR MAXIMUM CARESM PLANS
The only parts and labor not covered:

• Maintenance Services and items used in
such services
• Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter
• Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs
• Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches
• Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch
Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes,
Yep you would think so....but good luck.

I can tell you when I brought my truck in that has Max Care for 4YR/60K miles (basically to cover my 4 year lease) the service manager looked to make sure I was still in 3/36 before agreeing to try to get it covered. Luckily he was able to get it covered, but I highly suspect it is due to 3/36.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Like I mentioned in the other dash delamination thread, that's part of the issue for me. The line above includes the wording "including Soft Trim". The dash cover is considered "Soft Trim", and apparently included under "Body". Mopar doesn't list the dash cover under "Body" in their parts catalog. It's instead listed under "Interior Trim". Nothing in your list mentions anything about interior trim not being included. It's my assumption that this verbiage vague by design to cover their own a$$es, as "Body" can actually cover a lot of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread