5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather dash lifting away and crating bubbles, seats peeling

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like I mentioned in the other dash delamination thread, that's part of the issue for me. The line above includes the wording "including Soft Trim". The dash cover is considered "Soft Trim", and apparently included under "Body". Mopar doesn't list the dash cover under "Body" in their parts catalog. It's instead listed under "Interior Trim". Nothing in your list mentions anything about interior trim not being included. It's my assumption that this verbiage vague by design to cover their own a$$es, as "Body" can actually cover a lot of stuff.

Makes sense to me, how is leather on a dash considered "Body and Paint Items (including soft trim)". That sounds to me like the window stripping and rubbers in the body shuts. But not surprised they are trying to find anyway they can to avoid any type of warranty work.

I would find a good auto upholstery shop either way, maybe be better in the long run than having the dealership guys pull out and replace the dash, who knows what else they might end up doing.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I had my dash redone. I too was shown the door by Ram and customer service. I had the dash redone by an upholstery shop. It was done using vinyl this time. It looks just like OEM. Plus not it wont every bubble again. Unfortunately every vehicle I have had with a leather dash has bubbled. It has to do with the poor glue used, the leather shrinking since its a natural product and the climate you live in. Don't waste money on having the dealer replace the dash with another leather one. It will happen again.

danielelie

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and I recently starting noticing my leather is pulling away from the dash and in a matter of a month it's become pretty significant. I always use a window shade on the windshield. It's also starting t crack/peel near above the upper tray where they power outlet is. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I'm going t take to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm hoping they will take one look at it and just honor it as a defect under the warranty. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if should expect a hard time about getting it resolved.

I also have a separate issue where the leather seats are peeling on the sides, my assumption is they will say that s normal wear and tear, which I think would be ridiculous considering the truck is only 22 months old. The interior materials just don't seem to be the quality that it should be.
View attachment 68421 View attachment 68422 View attachment 68423
View attachment 68424 View attachment 68425

danielelie

Reaction score
I am extremely upset with my 2019 Limited dash leather….. 12 months on my new truck the dash started to bubble up … I’ve contacted the factory and dealership multiple times, left numerous messages, in person complaints, and kept getting the runaround, kept getting told the warranty officer was not in the building but they would call me back, this occurred for over one year,….. now my leather dash is completely destroyed, the driver side rubber is exposed, I am furious,….. brand-new vehicle, very expensive vehicle, and ****ty customer service and craftsmanship, also have several other small things wrong with the truck that I am attending to, what upsets me is that no one would return my calls or help me in this matter, I work in a setting where my car is always in the garage, my home has a garage which I always use, so there is no reason behind us, I tend for my vehicle like it’s my baby, so this is just unbelievable, and for that I would never ever recommend ram vehicles to anyone …. Shane on them and shame on customer service and what they represent

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am extremely upset with my 2019 Limited dash leather….. 12 months on my new truck the dash started to bubble up … I’ve contacted the factory and dealership multiple times, left numerous messages, in person complaints, and kept getting the runaround, kept getting told the warranty officer was not in the building but they would call me back, this occurred for over one year,….. now my leather dash is completely destroyed, the driver side rubber is exposed, I am furious,….. brand-new vehicle, very expensive vehicle, and ****ty customer service and craftsmanship, also have several other small things wrong with the truck that I am attending to, what upsets me is that no one would return my calls or help me in this matter, I work in a setting where my car is always in the garage, my home has a garage which I always use, so there is no reason behind us, I tend for my vehicle like it’s my baby, so this is just unbelievable, and for that I would never ever recommend ram vehicles to anyone …. Shane on them and shame on customer service and what they represent
Not sure where you are located but I had the exact opposite experience. Waiting on parts to come in for my replacement. I think my experience was not the norm unfortunately.

danielelie

Reaction score
Not sure where you are located but I had the exact opposite experience. Waiting on parts to come in for my replacement. I think my experience was not the norm unfortunately.
I’m in South Carolina….. if you don’t mind me asking, what state are you in and how many miles on your truck before you notified the dealership, I think I’m going to be persistent in this matter out of principle….. Thank you for your help in this matter

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in South Carolina….. if you don’t mind me asking, what state are you in and how many miles on your truck before you notified the dealership, I think I’m going to be persistent in this matter out of principle….. Thank you for your help in this matter
I'm also in SC (Columbia). I took my truck to Carolina Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Lugoff. My truck had 22K miles and is due to hit 3 years this November which is why I brought it in before hand.

Ask for Robbie Hunter (Sales Manager). You can even let him know the guy with the 2019 Limited that he has parts on order sent you.

803-784-4019 is their number.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes things don't add up. Did you ever make an appointment for the dash?

josh0705

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Longhorn and my dash is delaminating. The dealer ordered a new dash. Apparently this is common here in Florida. The dealership has replaced 3 dash's so far. Mine is the forth.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Longhorn and my dash is delaminating. The dealer ordered a new dash. Apparently this is common here in Florida. The dealership has replaced 3 dash's so far. Mine is the forth.
High heat climates for sure seem to be the issue with the glue keeping these in place. Mine just got replaced as well.

Groucho53

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and I recently starting noticing my leather is pulling away from the dash and in a matter of a month it's become pretty significant. I always use a window shade on the windshield. It's also starting t crack/peel near above the upper tray where they power outlet is. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I'm going t take to a dealer to have them look at it. I'm hoping they will take one look at it and just honor it as a defect under the warranty. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if should expect a hard time about getting it resolved.

I also have a separate issue where the leather seats are peeling on the sides, my assumption is they will say that s normal wear and tear, which I think would be ridiculous considering the truck is only 22 months old. The interior materials just don't seem to be the quality that it should be.
My 2019 Long Horn is doing the same thing

rdunnalbj

Reaction score
Where are you located in Florida? I just had my 2019 Limited started doing it and my 3yr/36,000 miles is up. Called Ram Care twice, dealership, and Service Manager at dealership…and all told me sorry. Huge Ram fan as that’s the only trucks I’ve owned and not many issues other than normal stuff. This and the rear window leak I’ve already fixed, very disheartening.

jimbo

Reaction score
Anyone had a dealer take care of this outside the bumper to bumper period of the warranty? I noticed the issue long ago but now it’s separating… I’m 4 years into the truck and 40k mikes… worried they won’t fix it but it does seem to be a defect that is prevalent, wondering if they’ll fix it due to that.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone had a dealer take care of this outside the bumper to bumper period of the warranty? I noticed the issue long ago but now it’s separating… I’m 4 years into the truck and 40k mikes… worried they won’t fix it but it does seem to be a defect that is prevalent, wondering if they’ll fix it due to that.

I had a similar issue on my 2015 Charger R/T except it was the door panels that were separating from the AZ heat. I took it to the dealer to ask if it was covered under my extended warranty and it was not. Since it was outside of the 3/36, they referred me to a local body shop for a cheaper estimate. I went and talked with the local shop, and they referred me to a local upholstery place that the local body shop sends their interior work to. The upholsterer told me that it is common that they don't use enough glue during the manufacturing process, which allows it to lift after repeated heating. He told me that even if I were to get it fixed, it would be a temporary fix and would likely lift again in a few years.

Bottom line - ask for a replacement, not a repair. If paying for it yourself, talk to your local shops and see where they send their interior work since they may be able to repair much cheaper., but know it may need to be done every few years.

Majormaxie

Reaction score

I own a 2019 Longhorn 4x4 Semi. It has been garage kept its entire life with me -- and now, I too have a dash bubble in front of the passenger (left-side hump and on my instrument panel in front of the driver. I am trying to find out if this is covered. It is this stupid material engineering that has me at odds with US-made stuff nowadays. I saw this on my 1974 Datsun 260Z - 48 years ago!

LeoM

Reaction score

I had the same dash problem my dealer replaced mine with 41890 miles on my Ram.

ljinnc

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 2019 Ram Limited and it has this peeling leather dash. Is there anyone that knows around what the cost would be to fix, What material is under it, is it a regular plastic dash?

rdunnalbj

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 2019 Ram Limited and it has this peeling leather dash. Is there anyone that knows around what the cost would be to fix, What material is under it, is it a regular plastic dash?
My 2019 Ram Limited is leather (a natural product that expands/contracts with the Florida heat). I’ve tried everything but Ram quoted me $3120 plus tax. The part is like $900 but the labor I was told was pretty extensive to remove and then re-install the dash. Ram said they won’t replace it with the Laramie dash as it’s vinyl like the glove box so wouldn’t see if flex like the real leather dash is.

RamJam!

Reaction score

Mine is doing the same thing. I am 25 days out of warranty and the dealership said they will not replace the dash. Then they said they would do it if I pay a 100 deductible and pay for a rear differential and break flush for $500. Anyone have contact information for corporate? I will be making a complaint if I can find the right person to email.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I am 25 days out of warranty and the dealership said they will not replace the dash. Then they said they would do it if I pay a 100 deductible and pay for a rear differential and break flush for $500. Anyone have contact information for corporate? I will be making a complaint if I can find the right person to email.
Where do you live (don't see it in your profile)? And is this the basic 3y/36k mile warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread