5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Ambient Lighting Question

oaviking06

Reaction score
I spoke with PARAGOPTICS and he told me for 2021 and 2022 Ram removed the ambient light from the middle pocket of the door!!!! I just noticed. I had my friends 2019 Laramie and I just had a 2021 Ram Limited for a few weeks and noticed Ram removed the ambient light on the middle pocket of the doors. Unbelievable I have no reason why they did that! The middle pocket light actually brightened up the cabin.
I have a 2021 Laramie, but I bought my truck in December 2020.. I believe I have the light your talking about... IMHO I think Ram started removing little things when things started becoming scarce during the chip shortage, They wanted to make sure they had enough for their Longhorns and Limited's.

image0.jpeg

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie, but I bought my truck in December 2020.. I believe I have the light your talking about... IMHO I think Ram started removing little things when things started becoming scarce during the chip shortage, They wanted to make sure they had enough for their Longhorns and Limited's.

View attachment 120906
That came stock with the green lights?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

oaviking06

Reaction score
That came stock with the green lights?

No, its the Paragoptics. Still seems to be the only option besides LED Strips.. I got an Olive Green, so I went with the green. I do wish I had the Dash ambient lighting.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
No, its the Paragoptics. Still seems to be the only option besides LED Strips.. I got an Olive Green, so I went with the green. I do wish I had the Dash ambient lighting.
How hard is the install? Thanks

doolin64

Reaction score
I'm waiting on my oem dash lights to come in from Tasca. Darn forum spending my money.

Nick57

Reaction score
My 21 Laramie came with the middle pocket door lights... I feel like this was a hit or miss thing.

PCB

Reaction score
For anyone that reads this thread Paragoptics has a kit now for the dash if your truck didn’t come with the ambient lighting. It has the housings and led board color of your choosing already installed. They were really great helping me with my install since the plugs were there but not where they usually are. One was behind the gauges and plug for the light rod over the glove box was all the way down taped to the center console area. That one was brutal for my big hands. If the plugs are taped were they usually are in the instructions it would have been an easy process.

doolin64

Reaction score
For anyone that reads this thread Paragoptics has a kit now for the dash if your truck didn’t come with the ambient lighting. It has the housings and led board color of your choosing already installed. They were really great helping me with my install since the plugs were there but not where they usually are. One was behind the gauges and plug for the light rod over the glove box was all the way down taped to the center console area. That one was brutal for my big hands. If the plugs are taped were they usually are in the instructions it would have been an easy process.

Holy he!!...My lights came in the mail today, so I ran home at lunch. I had to give up. The can barely reach the tape behind the cluster on for the left side light. I can feel the plug, but I can't unwind the tape or find the end for that matter. I don't want to go in with a utility knife and start slicing wires. I may have to remove the cluster.

The center plug was easy to untape. I could not find the one for the glove box. I wasn't looking that low, but if you're saying it was a struggle. I'm screwed.

doolin64

Reaction score
Finished....I couldn't half *** it. I removed the
upper and lower glove box. Made getting to the harness plug and installing the glove box light a breeze.

Overall results...meh. I'm in the camp of don't bother with this mod.

PXL_20220304_233654283.jpg
Much easier to get at the plug behind the cluster with the water removed.
PXL_20220305_000107844.jpg

And the results.

PXL_20220305_005036840.jpg
PXL_20220305_005050043.jpg

PCB

Reaction score
Holy he!!...My lights came in the mail today, so I ran home at lunch. I had to give up. The can barely reach the tape behind the cluster on for the left side light. I can feel the plug, but I can't unwind the tape or find the end for that matter. I don't want to go in with a utility knife and start slicing wires. I may have to remove the cluster.

The center plug was easy to untape. I could not find the one for the glove box. I wasn't looking that low, but if you're saying it was a struggle. I'm screwed.
I am sorry you had the same experience I did. You did a great job though. They definitely made it way more difficult than it had to or should be. Here is mine finished for people wanting to see the red leds.
50955C25-B7DD-4C52-AB83-C294E0705156.jpeg
DFF64CF2-1BB8-4B2F-B2F1-C7603DFD3FE7.jpeg
69A65141-E48E-4680-A208-2BA9CA5561BF.jpeg
5A963204-A6F5-4C38-A0B6-725F77D675B6.jpeg C9C11BF5-477F-4655-BABD-243558A26513.jpeg

PCB

Reaction score
I am sorry you had the same experience I did. You did a great job though. They definitely made it way more difficult than it had to or should be. Here is mine finished for people wanting to see the red leds.
View attachment 122432
View attachment 122434
View attachment 122435
View attachment 122436 View attachment 122437
I would also say don’t give up on the mod because it looks much more upscale once you change the color. Just buy the kit from paragoptics to make it easier.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I prefer the dimmer stock ambient lighting. Never switched out any of my rams interior lights out to leds either cause they just seem way to bright in all of the pictures I've seen. Reminds me of this time we were at a concert behind some older people (60s Im guessing) and they brought out their iphone which had it's brightness turned up to about the brightness of the sun, especially at a dark concert. Didn't understand how it didn't blind them, it certainly blasted my younger eyes.

It would definitely be cool to change up the colors once in a while though. Can you turn the brightness down on that low enough to be equivalent of the stock lighting?

PCB

Reaction score
I might be in the minority here but I prefer the dimmer stock ambient lighting. Never switched out any of my rams interior lights out to leds either cause they just seem way to bright in all of the pictures I've seen. Reminds me of this time we were at a concert behind some older people (60s Im guessing) and they brought out their iphone which had it's brightness turned up to about the brightness of the sun, especially at a dark concert. Didn't understand how it didn't blind them, it certainly blasted my younger eyes.

It would definitely be cool to change up the colors once in a while though. Can you turn the brightness down on that low enough to be equivalent of the stock lighting?
It really isn’t that bright when you are in the truck and since you are just replacing the stock led board in each spot you can dim them the same way as stock. I also have a couple extra usb led in the center console that make it brighter.

Ram-583

Reaction score
I did the mod today it looks great except I have no middle light in my rear doors. I have a week old 2022 Limited 10th Anniversary Edition. Does anyone have the part number for the light module? I am going to buy them and tap into the other wiring.

Attachments

• middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 126

Rollendor1

Reaction score
upper and lower glove box. Made getting to the harness plug and installing the glove box light a breeze.

View attachment 122333
View attachment 122334

And the results.

View attachment 122335
View attachment 122336

View attachment 122333
View attachment 122334

And the results.

View attachment 122335
View attachment 122336
I think I’ll have to do the same. I found a connector on the left side but it wasn’t the right one. (Black,red and white but didn’t line up with plug). How did you get the glove boxes out? Trying to find a guide for it online

Ram-583

Reaction score
I watched this video 5x I am also half way handy with car audio electronic as my cousin has a shop. But this is a amateur project I felt the biggest issues was the removal of the back door panels. Good luck!

doolin64

Reaction score
I think I’ll have to do the same. I found a connector on the left side but it wasn’t the right one. (Black,red and white but didn’t line up with plug). How did you get the glove boxes out? Trying to find a guide for it online

Assuming you've removed the radio and the trim piece that runs between the two glove boxes, all you have to do from their in unbolt the lower glove box and it comes right out. Then you unbolt the upper glovebox. Don't forget to remove the passenger airvent and remove the bolt in there.

This thread has PDFs that helped me.

Pull the passenger vent off. There's a screw on the left

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hello guys..my rebel didnt come with any of that stuff.so i went the "cheap,easy poor man"route :LOL: :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread