5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Ambient Lighting Question

brental1

Reaction score
I have a Courtesy Light question. Couldn't find a thread; so am trying here. In the process of swapping Laramie seats into my 2022 BH with Level 1 Equipment Group; one (of the about 25) wires I need to add is a YL/VT from a splice in the IP to Terminal 13 on the Body side of XY330A (under center console.) This is to power the lights under the Laramie front seats (for the rear passenger area). While tracing the wires, I discovered that the Laramie donor harness for the Courtesy Lights under the IP have 2 circuits. In addition to the YL/VT (Courtesy Lamps Driver), there's also a WT/GR. Wondering what purpose the WT/GR circuit serves. Thanks, Brent

FM45

Reaction score
The standard courtesy system in the Ram uses halogen bulbs, the upgrade Led system uses three wires to power the 2 led package. --- one for courtesy the other ambient..

-=FM45=-

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
I just purchased the kit from Paragoptics online for my Rebel which doesn't come with the wiring harness but does have the LED footwell lighting in the front.

My rebel also doesn't come with the second ambient lighting dimmer wheel by the light switch. My only dimmer dims the footwell LED's along with everything else (12" screen. cluster).

Do i need to install that second dimmer part to have both dimmer wheels? And even if I don't, do I need to still use AlphaOBD to program the ambient lighting kit from paragoptics? All videos I've seen haven't stated anything about programming the lights once installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

brental1

Reaction score
I just purchased the kit from Paragoptics online for my Rebel which doesn't come with the wiring harness but does have the LED footwell lighting in the front.

My rebel also doesn't come with the second ambient lighting dimmer wheel by the light switch. My only dimmer dims the footwell LED's along with everything else (12" screen. cluster).

Do i need to install that second dimmer part to have both dimmer wheels? And even if I don't, do I need to still use AlphaOBD to program the ambient lighting kit from paragoptics? All videos I've seen haven't stated anything about programming the lights once installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
I have a similar question. On my 2022 BH, the connectors for the 3 ambient lights are present in my truck (covered with Tesa tape). However, I have only one dimmer wheel. In addition to the AlfaOBD programming question, will I need to add wires to the connector for the headlight/dimmer wheel switch?

brental1

Reaction score

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
These, I THINK, are 2 of the 3 connectors (lower left of pic). These 2 were right behind the Start/Stop button, taped up to the harness. I have my IP torn up for a different reason--routing wire harnesses I have built. The 3rd connector is supposed to be behind the driver's vent; but I can't find it. So now, I'm not sure these are the light connectors.

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 77

FM45

Reaction score
These are the connectors to look for, these a from Mouser but the OEM look exactly the same...
ambient plugs.jpg

-=FM45=-

Ralph5thGen

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE, IM NEW THE FORMS AND HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE AMBIENT LIGHTING.. ITS UPSETTING THAT THESE TRUCKS ARE SOLD FOR 70K OR MORE AND ITS MISSING THESE LITTLE DETAILS WHICH WE PAY FOR... WITH THAT BEING SAID.. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PART NUMBER FOR THE LIGHT THAT GOES IN THE REAR DOOR PANELS AS I ALREADY ORDERED THE THREE LIGHTS FOR THE DASH ?

brental1

Reaction score

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Did you get your question answered about the 2nd dimmer wheel? Did you get a PN?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no ambient lighting starting on in the 2021s. There are a couple of threads in here where people have added there own
I have ambient lighting on my 21 Laramie.
Matter of fact I am waiting on my 3rd replacement drive door module as mine keeps dieing for some reason on that door.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have ambient lighting on my 21 Laramie.
Matter of fact I am waiting on my 3rd replacement drive door module as mine keeps dieing for some reason on that door.
You don't have the high line ambient they are talking about. Limiteds and maybe Longhorns, I'm not sure are the only trucks that come with it. The higher system has basically a rope light above the glove box.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
You don't have the high line ambient they are talking about. Limiteds and maybe Longhorns, I'm not sure are the only trucks that come with it. The higher system has basically a rope light above the glove box.
Ahhhh ok.
I didn’t realize the Linted has that as an extra. I just looked at a few limiteds and did not notice

6of36

Reaction score
Ahhhh ok.
I didn’t realize the Linted has that as an extra. I just looked at a few limiteds and did not notice
It's not easy to see. I can see the reflection off of the glove box door. Even when it is lit, it's pretty dim. I sure wouldn't bother fixing it if it ever burns out.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah I wish I wouldn’t have waisted the Time and money installing it on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Reaction score
So this thread brought up more questions in life. Now I need to go out to my truck and confirm which lights I have/do not have.
I had no idea there were this many lights and I feel I am missing most of them :(

Edit: I felt like I may be missing most is because it seems like when they had the back door panels off to fix my grille rattles, they must not have set the modules back in properly. The tops and middles are super dim and barely passing light.
The front driver door is jacked because the one at the handle keeps going out, so they must have unplugged them all? The pass front door is working %100

I am waiting on 1 module for the driver door due to use. I am going to ask them on Thursday when I get my tires installed to check/reseat all my working modules and say my dash modules never worked in hopes they just add those and I’ll just add the glove box one myself.
What a clusterfuck this seems to be after reading multiple posts on ambient lights.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
So this thread brought up more questions in life. Now I need to go out to my truck and confirm which lights I have/do not have.
I had no idea there were this many lights and I feel I am missing most of them :(

Edit: I felt like I may be missing most is because it seems like when they had the back door panels off to fix my grille rattles, they must not have set the modules back in properly. The tops and middles are super dim and barely passing light.
The front driver door is jacked because the one at the handle keeps going out, so they must have unplugged them all? The pass front door is working %100

I am waiting on 1 module for the driver door due to use. I am going to ask them on Thursday when I get my tires installed to check/reseat all my working modules and say my dash modules never worked in hopes they just add those and I’ll just add the glove box one myself.
What a clusterfuck this seems to be after reading multiple posts on ambient lights.
I feel like my Limited has more lights than my Laramie, besides the glove box one.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I feel like my Limited has more lights than my Laramie, besides the glove box one.
Honestly the only “intentional” missing ones are the dash ones. The rest the dealer either screwed up reinstalling my door panels or blew out.
Before reading this post and seeing a video on modifying the boards, I had no idea just how many ambient light modules were to be installed and were installed in my truck.
Very eye opening post as I never really looked that deeply.

6of36

Reaction score
Honestly the only “intentional” missing ones are the dash ones. The rest the dealer either screwed up reinstalling my door panels or blew out.
Before reading this post and seeing a video on modifying the boards, I had no idea just how many ambient light modules were to be installed and were installed in my truck.
Very eye opening post as I never really looked that deeply.
The ambient lighting doesn't mean much to me. I just noticed, with this truck, there is a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online