5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Ambient Lighting Question

Exhausted

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Laramie crew cab (5th Gen) and the ambient lighting was all around the floor and doors. It also was in the dash above the top glove box and start button area where the upper and lower parts of the dash meet. I bought a 2021 Laramie and noticed that it has all the same ambient lighting except that light in the dash.
Did they change this in the 2021's? Or is there something I need to have looked at?
Its a small feature but I really like the look at night.

My 2019 was a level 1 with the 8.4 non-nav
My 2021 is a level A with the 12 inch

austwill

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no ambient lighting starting on in the 2021s. There are a couple of threads in here where people have added there own

Nick57

Reaction score
That is not entirely true... There is still ambient lighting. How ever they removed the 3 upper dash lights from the package on the 21 Laramie.

Exhausted

Reaction score
well thats a bummer, it's a nice feature but I assume its due to lack of components or removing things to speed up production? Yes my truck still has all the other ambient lighting just not the dash lights.
Also I noticed they removed the foam insert for the cup holder on the passenger side door.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
well thats a bummer, it's a nice feature but I assume its due to lack of components or removing things to speed up production? Yes my truck still has all the other ambient lighting just not the dash lights.
Also I noticed they removed the foam insert for the cup holder on the passenger side door.
My 2021 has both foam inserts. Maybe because it's a Limited or maybe some other reason. Ram has been inconsistent with the foam inserts on 5th gens. There have been a few threads discussing this.

Exhausted

Reaction score
We looked at all the trucks on the lot, 12 total, and non of them had the insert. From Big Horns to Limited.

Nick57

Reaction score
If you order it with the foam inserts (or it's on the window sticker) the "package" is supposed to have both If you talk to your dealer they can order in the missing one for you. :) Mine was missing on the pass side.

SOWARDCUSTOMS

Reaction score
Not sure on the 21's but some Laramies I've seen in the past had the connectors but the lights themselves werent there. So they order all 3 light housings and installed them without issue. easiest way to check is to pop out the drivers air vent and check to see if the connector is taped to the harness. Myself I have a Lonestar I added the Limited dash and wanted everything functioning my truck did not have the connectors so I made my own out of a door ambient light harness the connections are the same as the dash lights. Worked perfectly.. You dont have to remove the dash to add the harness.. 20210606_155302 (002).jpg 20210501_122705 (002).jpg

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Curious, did ram publish this change anywhere for buyers to see? I have a 2019 Laramie and love the ambient lighting on the dash. Lease end is coming up, and plan to most likely purchase. But if I decided to trade in for a 2021 or 2022 and I just found out that ram "dropped" the dash lighting after the fact, I would be pretty disappointed.

Nick57

Reaction score
They never said ****! trust me I was very disappointed...

834k3r

Reaction score
My 2021 has both foam inserts. Maybe because it's a Limited or maybe some other reason. Ram has been inconsistent with the foam inserts on 5th gens. There have been a few threads discussing this.
My Laramie has them as well.

Exhausted

Reaction score
They never said ****! trust me I was very disappointed...
I had no idea either, I didn't notice until a few days after I bought the truck. I am going to guess it has something to do with a supplier issue...

flaboater

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have 2021 ram Laramie. I saw the post that SOWARDCUSTOMS posted. I popped out the drivers side AC duct to look for the connector. There is a fat wire harness next to the duct. I felt a bump in the harness and removed the cloth tape. There I found the connector. I removed the radio console and found the other 2 connectors. one by the start/stop button and one by the upper glove box. The parts you need are two 68312667-AC for both sides of the steering wheel (same light) and one 68291948-AC for the glove box. They are all plug and play. I spent around $60 on the parts. The glove box light comes with a long clear tube to carry the light across the top of the upper glove box. The bad part is you have to remove the upper and lower glove box to install this tube. Not hard at all. took me about 1.5 hours because I had to figure out how to get the glove box out . I could do it in about 40 mins now (not counting bandaid and smoke breaks) that I know how to get the glove box out. Here is a link to a guy who changed his leds to blue. Just fast forward till you get to the dash part. I think they look cool and i'm going to change mine as soon as they become available again.
This second link is for the PARAGOPTICS instructions. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r96cHf7pv-VYaoIGrUSWuMTmiUlJbRrP/view Between the two links you should get a pretty good idea of how to do it yourself. Hopes this helps.

Nick57

Reaction score
After flaboater's post I decided to take a deeper look into my dash and low and behold... THEY WERE THERE!!!!!!! I've attached photos of the lost but now found ends!!!

Attachments

• 20210921_190553.jpg
    20210921_190553.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 589
  • 20210921_191325.jpg
    20210921_191325.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 580
  • 20210921_193010.jpg
    20210921_193010.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 575

Nick57

Reaction score
So I just placed my order for those 3 pieces. Should hopefully be here tomorrow. When they come in I will get them installed and take photos during the process. :)

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Anybody got photos of some installed working examples of what we are supposed to be missing? Our Laramie interior lights up like a Christmas tree. So I can't quite envision what I don't have. :unsure:

Nick57

Reaction score
Anybody got photos of some installed working examples of what we are supposed to be missing? Our Laramie interior lights up like a Christmas tree. So I can't quite envision what I don't have. :unsure:
the lights above the glove box, start/stop button and to the left of the gauges
I'll take a picture later tonight.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I finally found some imagines of the ambient lighting in this thread:

Looks like I can get 68312667AC x2 for $12.97 each and 68291948AC for $16.80 at Parts World Direct in the DFW area. Total with tax and shipping to Arkansas would be $52.73. I will check the local Ram dealer as well. That's a nice add-on for that price.

Maybe I will get a chance this weekend to check and make sure I have the plugs. :)(y)

Users who are viewing this thread