5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

techno96

Reaction score
Techno96 I did the same and switched back to Sylvanias and everything including the hotspot works.
I put them in and immediately trashed them. They aren't even remotely white. They looked just as yellow as factory.

You are the first post I’ve seen from anyone with the luyed lights. Now I wonder if it’s a content thing. My Laramie is level 1, you have level 2 and a quick scroll up the thread seem to show highly contented trucks (I have a hotspot too, but don’t plan on enabling it - wrong carrier)
To be clear, I haven't gotten a key fob error yet, but the distance from which my fob works when the brake lights are on is definitely diminished with them. I have a BH Level 2.

I think its just a lack in manufacturing consistency. Some might have the issue, some might not. Either way, I'm hoping there is a real solution sometime soon.

Shives

Reaction score
Sorry guys working. I emailed them again. They should be here with usps sucking at life they are not. They sent out another set of bulbs to be tested.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Techno96 sorry I used Philips CVB2 lights and they are white.

I also have a different carrier for my phones but $20 for a month of unlimited data while out in an area that my provider doesn’t have service worked for me.

Red99vette

Reaction score
Used the Lasfit and stated having issues with both fobs not working in my pocket. Pulled out the third brake bulb and replaced it with stock after work today. Started right up, we’ll see tomorrow. Seems you wouldn’t get interference unless the light was activated.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Used the Lasfit and stated having issues with both fobs not working in my pocket. Pulled out the third brake bulb and replaced it with stock after work today. Started right up, we’ll see tomorrow. Seems you wouldn’t get interference unless the light was activated.
Thats what I had to do with mine, and it will work fine from now on. It is due to the interference caused by the bulb when you touch the brake to start. It has been suggested that if you push the start button, without touching the brake, it will recognize the fob and then you touch the brake and push the button to start again, it will work.

Jarodm06

Reaction score
Thats what I had to do with mine, and it will work fine from now on. It is due to the interference caused by the bulb when you touch the brake to start. It has been suggested that if you push the start button, without touching the brake, it will recognize the fob and then you touch the brake and push the button to start again, it will work.
I have Lasfit and this is what I do for now. It works but I will be changing brands if they don't get it worked out soon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Diode Dynamics trio (2 cargo and 1 third brake light) are $100 shipped. Pretty damn expensive. I finally pulled the trigger on them because I'm also going to do the gasket upgrade at the same time.
They way I see it, DD makes these the right way using quality components, which also makes them expensive.
Bet this is why FCA still uses incandescents for these three lights on an othewise fully LED lit truck. They don't want to spend what they need to on LED's up there to eliminate KeyFOB issues.

Red99vette

Reaction score
The Diode Dynamics trio (2 cargo and 1 third brake light) are $100 shipped. Pretty damn expensive. I finally pulled the trigger on them because I'm also going to do the gasket upgrade at the same time.
They way I see it, DD makes these the right way using quality components, which also makes them expensive.
Bet this is why FCA still uses incandescents for these three lights on an othewise fully LED lit truck. They don't want to spend what they need to on LED's up there to eliminate KeyFOB issues.
Gasket upgrade? Do tell...

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gasket upgrade? Do tell...
Byutl tape at Home Depot or Lowes. Unscrew cargo light/3rd brake light assembly, remove stock foam gasket, use the byutl tape instead, tighten down, then a few days later retighten to ensure snug fit.
There are better details about this if you look around.

Foofee99

Reaction score
UPDATE!!! Guys, as promised, I did a little experiment and came to some conclusions. No need to shell out $100 dollars for the Dynamics. I apologise for the long post but just wanted to contribute and provide some insight on the subject after doing my own experiment today.

So I got my new truck (2021 Laramie level 1 with LEDs) about two weeks ago. After swapping out the two cargo yellow halogens with LEDs (i left the brake one alone since mine is a red reflector), i noticed even inside the truck it wouldn't recognize the key fob if the cargos are activated. The LEDs i tried were called Rayhoo, so do not buy! I will be returning them to Amazon. Big time interference and issues inside and right around the outside of the truck.

At first I was going to just take the plunge on the Dynamics like many suggested, but then i was boggled by the fact some of you had luck with other brands that were 10-12 bucks on Amazon. I said what the heck, let me get a few different brands and do an experiment. Not for the sake of saving a dollar but what if a 10 dollar brand works just as good?

I purchased the JDM Astar like some suggested and also purchased the Alla. I also found Philips 921 white LEDs but saved it in the Amazon cart, since they were about 20 bucks i figured let me work my way up the $$ ladder and go from there. After doing this experiment, i do wonder about trying the Philips but anyways.

My experiment today was as follows: i wanted to see if different brands had any interference and if so, DISTANCE from the truck was affected COMPARED to the stock halogens.

How i did it: i took my bike out for this one. Parked the truck at the end of a large empty parking lot (yes at 4am) and started with the stock halogens. Rode my bike far behind the truck and tested the key fob distance with the halogens. Rode back, swapped out for the LEDs, rode back, and so on. Tried both LEDs mentioned above...and so on.

What I found: The stock halogens allowed me to unlock and lock the truck continuously from a good 450-500 feet. This was my experiment control, something i would be able to compare to. The JDMs allowed me to UNLOCK from the same distance obviously, BUT....when the cargo lights activated the interference did not allow any other key fob functionality until i got to about 150 feet from the truck. In other words, there is interference from the LEDs but once i got to about 150 feet, everything worked perfectly and continuously including having it in my pocket and all that. I swapped out the JDMs for the other LED brand the Alla ones and it was exactly the same experience. They worked good only at a close distance once the lights were activated.

Conclusion: JDM Astar and Alla both work well but the interference will affect key fob functionality at about 150 feet only when the cargo lights are activated. Meaning, if you have to start your truck from 500 feet it will still work but after that first press, if your cargo lights are on, you would have to be within a closer distance to do further remote functions or wait till the cargos turn off. For me, thats not a biggie since i still want the LEDs and probably won't need 500 feet of functionality. At least i don't think dropping 45 bucks on Dynamics is worth the extra coverage? I mean is it even guaranteed? Anyone test it? By testing it meaning you unlock and lock and unlock continuously while the lights are activated...

I do wonder, and I almost bet that the Dynamics also cause interference (compared to the halogens) and would hope someone would do a similar test and maybe compare their Dynamics to their stock halogens and compare distances. I think the results would probably be similar to what i came up with, but at this point i will keep the JDMs since the price sounds about right and i doubt the Dynamics will do better.

Here are the two Amazon brands that worked for me and hope it helps the rest of you! And again my apologies for the long post.

Alla 921:

JDM Astar 921:

Last edited:

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Sorry for this as that post may have mentioned but just quick glance. My fob interference was starting inside the truck, not necessarily fob distance impact

Shives

Reaction score
My apologies. Very busy with some person things going on. So, working with Lasfit... They sent me these bulbs out. Been using them for a week now, not one key fob error. So, they are making changes to the packages so I’m told. But contact them, say your from 5thgenrams and ask if they want the old ones sent back or what to do.
And actually the lights look better. No more hot spots. Better dispersement and yes no key fob errors when starting. But, our distance is still effected by the interference to which I’m working on longer range solutions.
For now, get the below bulbs.

Attachments

• BA18F0B6-0EB6-4FD1-A30D-3F4DE64D4FEB.jpeg
    BA18F0B6-0EB6-4FD1-A30D-3F4DE64D4FEB.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 71

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies. Very busy with some person things going on. So, working with Lasfit... They sent me these bulbs out. Been using them for a week now, not one key fob error. So, they are making changes to the packages so I’m told. But contact them, say your from 5thgenrams and ask if they want the old ones sent back or what to do.
And actually the lights look better. No more hot spots. Better dispersement and yes no key fob errors when starting. But, our distance is still effected by the interference to which I’m working on longer range solutions.
For now, get the below bulbs.
Could you post a pic of the back of the packages as this has the part numbers?

Shives

Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the back of the packages as this has the part numbers?
I wanted people to guess! Lmao... my bad! My screw up. Hang on. If you also contact them directly at the [email protected] say your from 5thgenrams and working with me, David. Send them the photos, explain and they will help out.
Once again I’m sorry for the delay.. so many things in life right now... took a couple weeks to get them, they got lost.. or something. Then I had to install and test them out. Again, I’ve not had any key faults which is super nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 57

Hoboandjack

Reaction score
Hey so I’ve been monitoring this for a moment and I figure I would give my experience for those actually trying to solve the problem I originally purchased the lasfit led bulbs for the cargo (didn’t really mind the halogens for red since I only care about the color) had the same problem as most of you with the range of the key fob so I ordered some old halogen blue bulbs that shine white ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007RRTSKW?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image )
Now I have installed those and I am still experiencing range issues not as bad as I was with lasfit leds but problems none the less I’m curious as to what the issue is now if it’s not the actual LEDs themselves.

starbai

Reaction score
Guys I've had LEDs in the white bed lights for a few weeks. a few days ago my driver's side ram box would pop open everytime I shut the truck off.

Then yesterday morning I replaced the 3rd brake light bulb with one that would flash when you hit the brakes (3x and then stay on).

it worked fine all day yesterday and this morning.

Then this afternoon, the remote (both of em') stopped working completely. The truck will still sense the key enough to open the door, and lock the door from the buton on the handle. And starts the truck just fine.

I get NO error about a missing key fob.

But both remotes are dead. Can't lock/unlock/remote start/anything from the key fob.

After finding this thread, I put all the stock bulbs back in.

Key fobs still dont work.

Is there anything that needs to be done to make it all work again after going back to stock??

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is one of those instances where you have to just bite the bullet and get the diode dynamics trio ($100) and be done with it.
Sometimes 'you get what you pay for' really does hold true.

techno96

Reaction score
This is one of those instances where you have to just bite the bullet and get the diode dynamics trio ($100) and be done with it.
Sometimes 'you get what you pay for' really does hold true.
There seems to be evidence that it really doesn't make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread