5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

Bruins5515

Reaction score
UPDATE my diode dynamics lights just came in and i just installed them and all my interference issues went away immediately, both the key fob not detected when starting and the key fob button intermittently working to lock and unlock the truck. I previously had Lasfit installed and used a tazer to switch lights to LED. all functions work great with diode dynamics (but they are pricey)

Shives

Reaction score
Update!!! Found a working fix for the LED interference. Testing on my truck. But example, when using Tazer to roll down windows, due to LED lights on, would not work but 5 ft away. Installed my inexpensive, easy to install fix. I’m going to test this for a few days back and fourth.
I find no issues with LED in any other spot but the CHMSL.
Super happy right now

I will prob assemble kits for people that have this issue.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Update!!! Found a working fix for the LED interference. Testing on my truck. But example, when using Tazer to roll down windows, due to LED lights on, would not work but 5 ft away. Installed my inexpensive, easy to install fix. I’m going to test this for a few days back and fourth.
I find no issues with LED in any other spot but the CHMSL.
Super happy right now

I will prob assemble kits for people that have this issue.
Cant wait to hear what the fix was if it works out.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Guys, the issue here is frequency related. Ever put a household led light bulb in your rolling code garage door opener? It took me a minute to figure it out (and google!) Led lights are not constantly ‘on’. They flicker at a very high rate. It just do happens the cheap household A19 led bulbs I’ve been buying are around 220 hz. The rolling code garage door opener I have runs between 180 and 240 hz. After pressing the button 17 times the door would finally go up/down once it got out of the interference caused by the led bulb, which happens to be about 1 1/2” away to the antenna wire..

I have no clue what frequencies our remotes, or the lasfit bulbs use, but clearly they’re close. And given the proximity to the shark fin (where I presume the antenna for the fob is) = interference!

Lasfit bulbs were great, and I used the everywhere in the interior of my bighorn. BUT having already seen similar threads, I rolled the dice on another brand for the cargo lights and they worked, no interference, on 2 trucks now. (Posted earlier above, bonus they were even cheaper!!).

Last edited:

techno96

Reaction score
@Shives any update on your fix?
I just installed Lasfit’s in my bed lights only and interior and I cannot start the car if the bed lights happen to be on.

techno96

Reaction score
I should note, it is not consistent. Sometimes I can start it fine with the bed lights on, sometimes I can't. It happened once thus far, having only installed them last night. I am going to try the brand recommended above and see how far I get before I have an issue, if any.

Jarodm06

Reaction score
Where exactly in alfaobd is the setting located?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Foofee99

Reaction score
I just came across this thread as I started having problems with my keyfob yesterday, and the only thing i did to my 2021 Laramie cargo lights is install these LEDs off Amazon yesterday. I now know the issue thanks to everyone here, and will probably replace them for different or better ones. The reason why i switched to LED is not only because the yellow halogens are ugly, but i plan on putting LED strip lights in the truck bed, and according to BoostedMotorSports video on YouTube, he suggested if you want to tap into the Ram cargo light wire to power up the truck bed LEDs, then replacing the halogens with LED will lower the power load and won't trip the circuit or cause errors. Hence why he recommended these off Amazon but i guess i will need to try a different brand. I haven't done the LED strips in the bed yet as i wanted to be sure these cargos worked out well without error messages. They are bright and look great but the key fob situation is hideous. Will update when all said and done.

LEDs NOT to buy:

YouTube video on truck bed LED mod:

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Wow Diode dynamics lights are not cheap. $45 for the brake light and $40 tp $90 for the cargo
Do it once, do it right. I bought the lasfit and returned them all for the above reason. Ended up with diode dynamics.
Cheap in comparison to how much an entire truck costs and not worth fob frustration fishing it out of a pocket.

Foofee99

Reaction score
Do it once, do it right. I bought the lasfit and returned them all for the above reason. Ended up with diode dynamics.
Cheap in comparison to how much an entire truck costs and not worth fob frustration fishing it out of a pocket.
Which DD exact ones did you buy? There's a couple 921s xpr and non xpr just wondering. Ya 40 bucks is pretty steep now that i think of it compared to 10 bucks for Amazon ones lol

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Which DD exact ones did you buy? There's a couple 921s xpr and non xpr just wondering. Ya 40 bucks is pretty steep now that i think of it compared to 10 bucks for Amazon ones lol
Bought XPR.

The only ones i did not get their brightest was the interior vanity light on the visors. The dual LED are too bright. I have to throw them out as I tossed my packaging and only bought one pair. Just bought the single diode replacements and awaiting their shipment.

techno96

Reaction score
Haven’t there been people that have still had these issues even with the diode dynamics lights?

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Not that I have found. Maybe early versions but none that I found.

Shives

Reaction score
So I’m working with Lasfit with a solution now. I’m waiting for products to arrive. Trying to make a new package for the RAM. Would be different white and red bulbs. They “should” be here today or at least by next week. As soon as they are, I’ll repost and let you all know what the scoop is. I’m really sorry for the delay.
Ps, in no way am I Affiliated with Lasfit, I’ve just been working with them to help people out.

ClancyO

Reaction score

techno96

Reaction score
So I’m working with Lasfit with a solution now. I’m waiting for products to arrive. Trying to make a new package for the RAM. Would be different white and red bulbs. They “should” be here today or at least by next week. As soon as they are, I’ll repost and let you all know what the scoop is. I’m really sorry for the delay.
Ps, in no way am I Affiliated with Lasfit, I’ve just been working with them to help people out.
Sweet. thanks for the update. I returned my Lasfit's, trying the LUYED. I'm sure this is just a case where sometimes you'll get a set that are okay, sometimes you won't. Once Lasfit has something figured out I'll grab a pair if I have any issues with these.

techno96

Reaction score
You can spend $50-100, or you can spend $14. Totally up to you. 2 trucks, no problems. (Only cargo, leave the brake light alone!)

LUYED 2 X 1550 Lumens Extremely Bright Error Free 360-Degree Shine 921 912 W16W 3030 24-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs Used For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX4FMD1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JqyKFbVN6RWHC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I tried these today and they also reduce my key fob's responsiveness. Locking doesn't work half the time when those lights are on. they might not be as bad, but they are still causing issues. Lasfit also caused me issued with the truck not locking without pressing the button sometimes 4 or 5 times.

I'm going to put some Sylvania SIlverstar Halogens in there for now to keep the nice, white look, while I wait for @Shives proper solution.

@Shives blink twice if I'm right, but did you try wrapping faraday fabric around the CHMSL housing or something like that? Or is Lasfit going to just actually fix the problem?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Techno96 I did the same and switched back to Sylvanias and everything including the hotspot works.

ClancyO

Reaction score
I tried these today and they also reduce my key fob's responsiveness. Locking doesn't work half the time when those lights are on. they might not be as bad, but they are still causing issues. Lasfit also caused me issued with the truck not locking without pressing the button sometimes 4 or 5 times.

I'm going to put some Sylvania SIlverstar Halogens in there for now to keep the nice, white look, while I wait for @Shives proper solution.

@Shives blink twice if I'm right, but did you try wrapping faraday fabric around the CHMSL housing or something like that? Or is Lasfit going to just actually fix the problem?

You are the first post I’ve seen from anyone with the luyed lights. Now I wonder if it’s a content thing. My Laramie is level 1, you have level 2 and a quick scroll up the thread seem to show highly contented trucks (I have a hotspot too, but don’t plan on enabling it - wrong carrier)

Users who are viewing this thread