5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
Some people here including me have had issues with the truck detecting the keyfob after installing LEDs, namely the high mounted ones for the 3rd brake light and cargo lights. Especially the brake light because it will have to be on for you to start the car when you press the brake pedal. What would happen is you try to start it with the key in your pocket and it kinda knows the fob is there but the signal isnt strong enough, so you have to put the fob near the start button and it will work. Very annoying. Occasionally I would be driving around and I would get a random "keyfob not detected" message. I have the feeling that this is going to drive some people and potentially some dealers nuts trying to troubleshoot this.

Below are two 921 type LEDs that I found work fine that are for the high mount 3rd brake light and cargo bed lights. Please add other LEDs that you have purchased that also work so we can save other members the hassle.

Red LED for the Third Brake Light (note how the description explicitly says that will not digital and VHF radio interference). Only available in 4 pack so you have spares or freebies to a Ram buddy

White Cargo Bed Lights (confirmed by other posters that it doesnt cause issues):

if you were curious on the red LED that caused my key fob issues it is this one, do not buy it:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some people here including me have had issues with the truck detecting the keyfob after installing LEDs, namely the high mounted ones for the 3rd brake light and cargo lights. Especially the brake light because it will have to be on for you to start the car when you press the brake pedal. What would happen is you try to start it with the key in your pocket and it kinda knows the fob is there but the signal isnt strong enough, so you have to put the fob near the start button and it will work. Very annoying. Occasionally I would be driving around and I would get a random "keyfob not detected" message. I have the feeling that this is going to drive some people and potentially some dealers nuts trying to troubleshoot this.

Below are two 921 type LEDs that I found work fine that are for the high mount 3rd brake light and cargo bed lights. Please add other LEDs that you have purchased that also work so we can save other members the hassle.

Red LED for the Third Brake Light (note how the description explicitly says that will not digital and VHF radio interference). Only available in 4 pack so you have spares or freebies to a Ram buddy

White Cargo Bed Lights (confirmed by other posters that it doesnt cause issues):

if you were curious on the red LED that caused my key fob issues it is this one, do not buy it:

I had some Amazon cheapo's that occasionally caused this same interference but have replaced them with Diode Dynamics and can confirm they do not cause issues like this. And they work and have a 3 year warranty.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I had some Amazon cheapo's that occasionally caused this same interference but have replaced them with Diode Dynamics and can confirm they do not cause issues like this. And they work and have a 3 year warranty.
I have diode dynamics and no issues so far either.

deanfx

Reaction score
diode dynamics for 18K miles. No problems at all.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I have diode dynamics and no issues so far either.
I have to stop monitoring this website! Everytime someone reports a new problem, it starts happening to me!! I installed my diode dynamics rear lights almost 3 weeks ago and didn't have a problem until yesterday!! All of a sudden it's telling me there is no Keyfob in range when trying to start the truck. I have the keyfob in my pocket as I always do. Anyways, after trying 2 or 3 times, the truck starts and I'm good to go. One time it wasn't working at all, so I used the remote start on the fob and the truck started right away and I was able to press the start button and drive off. I've now had the issue happen 3 times since yesterday. I have a hard time believing it could be the LEDs because it's been fine for 3 days. But I don't know what else it could be.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
you can manually turn off the cargo lights before starting to help isolate which ones are causing the issues. If you turned them off and then still having starting problems (have to push brake to start) then its the brake light

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to stop monitoring this website! Everytime someone reports a new problem, it starts happening to me!! I installed my diode dynamics rear lights almost 3 weeks ago and didn't have a problem until yesterday!! All of a sudden it's telling me there is no Keyfob in range when trying to start the truck. I have the keyfob in my pocket as I always do. Anyways, after trying 2 or 3 times, the truck starts and I'm good to go. One time it wasn't working at all, so I used the remote start on the fob and the truck started right away and I was able to press the start button and drive off. I've now had the issue happen 3 times since yesterday. I have a hard time believing it could be the LEDs because it's been fine for 3 days. But I don't know what else it could be.

Also, if it is the LEDs it will do it every time they are on and you try to unlock/start. If it is something else it will do it when you are in the vicinity of that source of RF interference. Pay attention to where it happens to see if you can identify if it's location based or even if you park next to the same truck each time. Maybe they have bad LEDs or other RF polluters that could be causing your problem.

kjn86

Reaction score

I can confirm the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2000 Lumens 360-Degree Shine 921 912 90-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White that you have in the original post do indeed interfere with my key fob.

If I have the tailgate open or any door open, I can't use the key fob. When those lights are on, can't do anything with the fob. If I get into the truck and close the doors, it works. I am trying to find a replacement bulb now, but I can't trust this won't happen again and waste more money. Debating going back to stock bulbs. Wish I hadn't thrown mine away already.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
I used these for brake and cargo lights. Have no had any issues in 6 weeks of being installed.

FGildred

Reaction score
I used these for brake and cargo lights. Have no had any issues in 6 weeks of being installed.

I purchased these same units and installed tonight. Only tested starting the truck from 5’ away and remote opening the tailgate a couple of times and no interference. Granted, time will tell.

Still blows my mind that these were the only non-led bulbs on the truck.

While these quick before and after don’t really show it, it’s quite a difference!

After:
9e9006fa3f827c57a231b475954d24c3.jpg

Before:
5821dad53a1ffe853e9e91f5a9eba3a7.jpg

*UPDATE*

Despite no issues last night, no key fob present message when I attempted to the start the truck this morning. So something with those LED’s must be causing interference. I wonder if that is why FCA didn’t put LED’s in there? Such an odd thing. Odd that some people report no issues with the ANTLINE LED’s. Will likely go with the more expensive LED’s mentioned in previous posts.

Last edited:

FGildred

Reaction score

Decided to try the above brake light prior to going the dynamic diode route. Not sure why, but it did not work. Even with the stock backup halogens in place and only the bulb mentioned above in for the brake light, I get the key fob not found error. Again, find it odd it works for some and not others. I have a Laramie that has mostly LED’s but the halogens in the back just don’t look right so I want to replace.

Just FYI for those following.

I’m going to probably try a lasfit or dynamic diodes brake light now. Seems like the dynamic diodes are rock solid, how about the lasfits?

MurdaRam

Reaction score
Spend the extra $$$ and get Diode Dynamics. They worked fine for me after replacing the FyreFly LEDs I had put in.

Reaction score
Anybody using 3rd brake LED from Lasfit? Does it interference with our FOB?

I haven't had any issues with the LasFit LEDs in my truck. Have had them in the truck for almost two months now and no key FOB not detected error.

I have started my truck with Tail Gate open, drivers door open, all lights that were halogen have been replaced with LasFit LEDs, White and Red.

shauste

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issue. Took the truck to the dealer twice and they can't duplicate the error. I removed the LED I put in the third brake light, but left the LEDs in the cargo lights. Had anyone else tried this? If so, what was your experience?

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issue. Took the truck to the dealer twice and they can't duplicate the error. I removed the LED I put in the third brake light, but left the LEDs in the cargo lights. Had anyone else tried this? If so, what was your experience?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728DYR9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These worked on my truck with no issues. I have 1 bulb left since I changed the brake light and both of the bed illumination lights.

Users who are viewing this thread