5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

jpearceTX

Reaction score
If anyone is curious I have a few pictures of how I did it. The only thing I did different was instead of going straight down I left a little lip all around the edge for the seal to sit on. I first used a Dremel to start a decent sized square in the middle. I then took an exacto knife and made a groove around the edged leaving a little lip as stated b4. I took wire cutters and cut strips up to the groove I made and then just took a pliers and started working up and down till the entire piece came off right at my groove. Then took my knife and cleaned up any edges. This is just b4 I started cleaning up the edges. View attachment 151647
Thanks for the picks. How were you able to get the wire harness connector disconnected from the tail light assembly in order to insert the necessary wire pins for the BSM sensor? I havent had any luck finding the so called pin that needs to get pressed from the inside.

jpearceTX

Reaction score
Thanks for the picks. How were you able to get the wire harness connector disconnected from the tail light assembly in order to insert the necessary wire pins for the BSM sensor? I havent had any luck finding the so called pin that needs to get pressed from the inside.
Nevermind. I used a small little camera and was able to find the tab that needs to be pressed down and then you can turn the connector off.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
glad you worked it out. I was gonna say i think there s a pic of the connector after removed in this thread somewhere that i put up so you can see where the tab was in relation to the connectors orientation. but sounds like you're past that now.

jpearceTX

Reaction score
Yes I was able to finally figure everything out and was able to test the blind spot monitoring without the mirrors and everything works great. I was able to enable the BSM using my Tazer DT and the options showed up on Uconnect to select how to setup the BSM warning.

Now I was wondering if cross traffic detection is automatically setup when you enable blind spot monitoring or are they 2 different options and maybe the Tazer DT can't setup cross traffic detection. I am trying to avoid having to pay for Alpha ODB if I can.

Does anyone know if cross traffic detection is a separate setup than BSM?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I was able to finally figure everything out and was able to test the blind spot monitoring without the mirrors and everything works great. I was able to enable the BSM using my Tazer DT and the options showed up on Uconnect to select how to setup the BSM warning.

Now I was wondering if cross traffic detection is automatically setup when you enable blind spot monitoring or are they 2 different options and maybe the Tazer DT can't setup cross traffic detection. I am trying to avoid having to pay for Alpha ODB if I can.

It's enabled along with the BSM. There're no additional configurations for it.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score

@cskindt is correct. And you'll only notice it when you're stopped and you put the truck in gear and something is moving (toward you in some way.) So like if you're parallel parked and you're ready to pull out, and someone is coming up from behind in the lane you're about to pull into it'll go off. OR if you're perpendicular parked, nose-in, and you put the truck in reverse to back out of the spot and someone is approaching you from the left or the right, it'll go off.

bwade1

Reaction score
is it possible to just remove the wiring from a damaged taillight with bsm and put it into a led without bsm housing without repining using the complete wiring

bwade1

Reaction score
does anyone know the part number for driver mirror glass with heated, auto dimming and blind spot the one i found in this post doesn't say that it is. also has anyone tried the aftermarket glass for replacing these

Meen318

Reaction score
does anyone know the part number for driver mirror glass with heated, auto dimming and blind spot the one i found in this post doesn't say that it is. also has anyone tried the aftermarket glass for replacing these
I used Mopar 68402095AA for the driver side. Heated, dimming with BSM. I read that the aftermarket mirrors amber indicator is not bright enough to see during the daytime.

Last edited:

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I tried the aftermarket ones, but they were not dimming. The amber was barely noticeable during the day. I ended up swapping for the factory heated dimming with blind spot.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score

this has the ones i used.

bwade1

Reaction score
just did this upgrade. got the same message, blind spot unavailable . have number 8 pin unhooked and canibus wiring run . i think all correct in alpha. no mirrors present. tried dissabling left sensor . will not let you it disables blindspot automatically in alpha. any help diagnosing would be appreciated

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just did this upgrade. got the same message, blind spot unavailable . have number 8 pin unhooked and canibus wiring run . i think all correct in alpha. no mirrors present. tried dissabling left sensor . will not let you it disables blindspot automatically in alpha. any help diagnosing would be appreciated
Not sure I know the whole story here.

Tell me if I’m correct, you:

-Installed sensors in rear tail lights,
-De-pinned drivers side pin #8 in the correct tail light pigtail
-installed the under seat harness to the star connector left of the pedals
-activated only the sensors, without the doors in alpha OBD
-and you're getting that code?

(I ask this way cuz the last bit you were asking about on here was the mirror glass upgrade. So just making sure you haven’t done that part yet)

Destroyed21

Reaction score
Hey all! I am currently purchasing the parts I need to add blind spot monitoring to my 2021 Sport. At this moment everything I need is getting shipped to me except the screws to mount the sensors the tail lights.

Does anyone know what size and thread I need for the screws (labelled as "5" in the attached picture) to install the blind spot sensors to the tail light?

Attachments

• Ram Tail Light.PNG
    Ram Tail Light.PNG
    95.5 KB · Views: 13

Meen318

Reaction score
Hey all! I am currently purchasing the parts I need to add blind spot monitoring to my 2021 Sport. At this moment everything I need is getting shipped to me except the screws to mount the sensors the tail lights.

Does anyone know what size and thread I need for the screws (labelled as "5" in the attached picture) to install the blind spot sensors to the tail light?
I had the same question. I ended up using some little coarse thread screws I had laying around. They worked fine for threading into plastic. I think they were around a quarter inch long if I remember correctly.

edehosse

Reaction score
Hello all - A few general questions on this mod for those that have modified their existing LED lights by adding modules and wiring:
  • When you cut the plastic to open up the area for the module, what did you use as a guide for the opening size? Can the recess be cut all around at the corner without leaving a flange on the bottom? Seems like the heat sink seals on the sidewalls, so a straight through cut would be OK.
  • What gauge wire did you use to add the BSM module connector to the round Molex? Factory setup looks to be 18ga, but the connector pins for the 8-pin gray connector seem too small to accept it.
  • Is there any required rate of twist for the two CANBUS wires both at the tail light and from the x400 connector?
Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/