5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey yall I keep getting this message. I can communicate with the left side module but I can't with the right.. I have check the wiring multiple times. I think I am good. I have the new jump harness installed as well. I need help please
Are you using OEM or aftermarket tail lights?

nickelwork87

Reaction score
Have you swapped the sensors left to right? If you do and it reads the opposite I’d say it’s the sensor, if not need to test wiring. Are all 4 wires in the proper pin locations under the seat? Are they seated properly? That 1 sensor looks like it was grinded down? Sure it’s functional?
I will try that tomorrow it's getting late here.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is 68263397AD Considered 2020+?
or is the 68263397AE the only part# capable of trailer length BSM for a 2022 1500?

I've looked through the thread a few times and haven't really found a concrete answer.
I'm having a hard time sourcing a AE Part off of ebay but there are plenty of AD's.
When I was doing this install (because of how I had to acquire a right and left heat sink) I had 3 AE’s and one AD. So I installed and activated all of them just to test them all before selling the ones I didn’t need. They all functioned, and functioned the same as far as I could tell. If you have any actual info that the AD isn’t capable of detecting a trailer then I’d go with that just to be safe, but I haven’t seen any guidance on that, and as far as I can tell/remember, they both work the same. But I can’t guarantee the trailer thing on the AD.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey yall I keep getting this message. I can communicate with the left side module but I can't with the right.. I have check the wiring multiple times. I think I am good. I have the new jump harness installed as well. I need help please
I agree with the above post about swapping the sensors side to side to check if the error follows the sensor. This is also the first sensor I’m seeing ending in AC, so it’s 1. Older than the AD you have, which is also not the newest version so that could also be part of it and 2. As also mentioned above that AC sensor looks like it’s been thru some $h!t. If you look on these it actually says on them “set aside if dropped”. These things are pretty sensitive to impact esp considering what they are. But when a manufacturer actually puts that on a part, it’s a good sign it’s happened a lot and seriously affects the function. The “abrasion” on the left side of that sensor looks like WAY worse than just being dropped. That looks like what it means to be “dropped” in an Marvel film. 😅

I would definitely hone in on that as the issue.

RedSquirrel

Reaction score
When I was doing this install (because of how I had to acquire a right and left heat sink) I had 3 AE’s and one AD. So I installed and activated all of them just to test them all before selling the ones I didn’t need. They all functioned, and functioned the same as far as I could tell. If you have any actual info that the AD isn’t capable of detecting a trailer then I’d go with that just to be safe, but I haven’t seen any guidance on that, and as far as I can tell/remember, they both work the same. But I can’t guarantee the trailer thing on the AD.
I ended up just buying the AE's.
I can confirm that the trailer length BSM works with the AE's.
I didn't want to go out on a limb and try the AD's.

golfishard

Reaction score
Just got done installing everything according to instructions found here and wanted to add something I hadn't seen in any of the instructions so far. When inserting pins into the XY400 connector, the correct orientation is for the "top" side of the terminal to face the front of the vehicle. Essentially the "stepped" part should face forward. Struggled with that a bit.

Also looking for some help here. Vehicle is a 2022 1500 DT Lonestar Edition which came with halogen tails. Got everything installed, aftermarket LED tails with sensor harness already present and the 300AA jumpers, de-pinned #8 on the driver side, verified that the 4 pins for XY400 harness are connected correctly and seated well, sensors were used from EBAY (came out of damaged tail lamps, maybe the issue?). When activating all the appropriate options in AlfaOBD, I don't get any error messages (even for the blind spot mirrors which I don't have but activated anyway to get some response). I am able to connect to the right and left modules in AlfaOBD Object Detection but unable to do anything except read the status. Interestingly, the programmed VIN for the sensors does not match my VIN obviously but didnt see anything having to correct that in any of the instructions. Is anyone else having the same issue? Have yet to take it for a test drive to see if it works but for those that got it working or have this option from the factory, is there any kind of start up sequence on the cluster that indicates the system is on?

EDIT: So this morning after 2 cycles, the BSM system came to life. UC system said there was a software update and after that the BSM error came up (had the mirror setting activated just to see if the error would set). After turning that function off in AlfaOBD the system is working. Great write ups to everyone who contributed! I do have the sensors ending in AC for anyone wondering if those work.

Last edited:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got done installing everything according to instructions found here and wanted to add something I hadn't seen in any of the instructions so far. When inserting pins into the XY400 connector, the correct orientation is for the "top" side of the terminal to face the front of the vehicle. Essentially the "stepped" part should face forward. Struggled with that a bit.

Also looking for some help here. Vehicle is a 2022 1500 DT Lonestar Edition which came with halogen tails. Got everything installed, aftermarket LED tails with sensor harness already present and the 300AA jumpers, de-pinned #8 on the driver side, verified that the 4 pins for XY400 harness are connected correctly and seated well, sensors were used from EBAY (came out of damaged tail lamps, maybe the issue?). When activating all the appropriate options in AlfaOBD, I don't get any error messages (even for the blind spot mirrors which I don't have but activated anyway to get some response). I am able to connect to the right and left modules in AlfaOBD Object Detection but unable to do anything except read the status. Interestingly, the programmed VIN for the sensors does not match my VIN obviously but didnt see anything having to correct that in any of the instructions. Is anyone else having the same issue? Have yet to take it for a test drive to see if it works but for those that got it working or have this option from the factory, is there any kind of start up sequence on the cluster that indicates the system is on?

EDIT: So this morning after 2 cycles, the BSM system came to life. UC system said there was a software update and after that the BSM error came up (had the mirror setting activated just to see if the error would set). After turning that function off in AlfaOBD the system is working. Great write ups to everyone who contributed! I do have the sensors ending in AC for anyone wondering if those work.
excellent!!! i was gonna say you shouldn't have to do anything regarding the VIN and you def should have gotten the error due to the mirrors if activated and not actually there but that happens once you start driving IIRC.

Glad you got it all worked out and its running now!!

golfishard

Reaction score
excellent!!! i was gonna say you shouldn't have to do anything regarding the VIN and you def should have gotten the error due to the mirrors if activated and not actually there but that happens once you start driving IIRC.

Glad you got it all worked out and its running now!!
Yep your write up helped alot. Thanks!

golfishard

Reaction score
So with the system verified working (see above post on details of my install) I turned on the trailer bsm and so far haven't had any issues with the setting in UC set to auto. I tow a 12 ft trailer once or 2x a month so I'll report back after the next time I pull the trailer.

W Six

Reaction score
Adding blind spots??
I do t know if it's old age or what I just took for pain relief, but I'm seeing bunches O'Blind spots right now.....😎

David rofa

Reaction score

golfishard

Reaction score
So with the system verified working (see above post on details of my install) I turned on the trailer bsm and so far haven't had any issues with the setting in UC set to auto. I tow a 12 ft trailer once or 2x a month so I'll report back after the next time I pull the trailer.
So finally got around to towing the trailer. In auto, the system seems to switch between 20 and 30 foot trailer. Not seeing a manual option for length except max. Seemed to work but I didn't test out the actual blind spot warning. Just didn't have any errors.

TimboRoch

Reaction score
Hello, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I have been able to purchase 2 damaged tail lights with BSM modules and retro fit my 2021 Laramie with Can bus wires addition and Alphaobd thanks to these posts.
I am now moving on to purchasing mirror glass with BSM indicators. Currently have power folding and heated functions. Is there a procedure for wiring the indicator light somewhere, or perhaps the harness is already there? Plug and play? Can't seem to find the right words to search this thread for those steps. Thanks!

Aymen2h

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback before I do the install. I bought 2 OEM tail lights with radar module in them, 2 jumpers and the xy400 harness from jimmy07.
I believe that's everything needed. When it comes to the jumpers do I still need to de-pin #8 on the drive side or that's not needed with the jumpers?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback before I do the install. I bought 2 OEM tail lights with radar module in them, 2 jumpers and the xy400 harness from jimmy07.
I believe that's everything needed. When it comes to the jumpers do I still need to de-pin #8 on the drive side or that's not needed with the jumpers?
Which taillight jumper harnesses did you purchase? Would need part numbers to determine.

jpearceTX

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping someone can help with this as I am stuck. I am adding the BSM sensors to my 2022 Ram Laramie. I got the correct wire harness from @Jimmy07 . I dremeled out the hole for the sensor.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the existing harness, that's part of the taillight housing, disconnected and pulled out from the housing so I can insert the new harnesses pins into it.

The instructions I have talks about having to use a small tool to push a plastic clip while rotating the connector counterclockwise. There is no way to someone to feel for the pin on the inside. I'm guessing the instructions are for 2019.

Anyone have any luck getting the plastic connector disconnected seen below in the pics?

20231202_102530.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/