5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the past, we baked tailights to soften adhesive. Something tells me that’s a bad idea with these.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah if anyone says bake em, I’m out. I never used to do it in the first place. I know my limits. And that is something I would completely f up.

This current problem I’m having is a complete surprise. Since nothing I did should have an effect like this. Other than the cutting, but again, I took it slow and everything looked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah if anyone says bake em, I’m out. I never used to do it in the first place. I know my limits. And that is something I would completely f up.

This current problem I’m having is a complete surprise. Since nothing I did should have an effect like this. Other than the cutting, but again, I took it slow and everything looked fine.

This video is pretty good, but it seems like cut, heat, or bake is the norm.
Dude opening tail light.

Dirkm5

Reaction score
My new 2022 RAM Laramie came without the BS system. The first two 5th generations I owned hat this and I want to have this back.
I took the time to read the whole topic and I am really confused about what I need to get from the dealer or where else. Is there anybody who has the right list with parts I have to get?
My Laramie came with full LED lights.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My new 2022 RAM Laramie came without the BS system. The first two 5th generations I owned hat this and I want to have this back.
I took the time to read the whole topic and I am really confused about what I need to get from the dealer or where else. Is there anybody who has the right list with parts I have to get?
My Laramie came with full LED lights.
So by all accounts there are essentially 6 ways you can do this mod. All have been proven to work but differ greatly in the level of effort and cost.

Method A:
  • Take your factory LED brake light housings and carefully cut out the spot where the sensors go, find and buy 2 sensors (68263397AE - same for driver and passenger) but also make sure you get a heat sink for the left and the right side (these parts are different but we haven't found accurate part numbers for left/right that i am aware of yet, but a lot of times you can find the sensors with a heat sink included, just make sure you have one of each.)
  • Buy the connector and pins, (p/n's in this thread) and wire the sensors to the twist lock molex connector already existing in your tail lights.
  • De-pin one wire on the driver's side brake light jumper. (#8)
  • Add the wiring from the big thru-body connector under the driver's seat to the star connector block in the kick panel to the left of the drivers spot.
  • Finally use alpha OBD or another interface program to activate the BSM sensors only on your truck. (without lights in the doors or in the outer mirrors, it will function as an audible alert only)
Method A1:
  • Do everything in Method A
  • Then buy 2 little LEDs from amazon or whatever and install them in the door sails toward the rearview mirrors and wire those
  • Finally use alpha OBD or another interface program to activate the BSM sensors and mirror lights on your truck. This will have a visual cue as well as the audible one and you can turn either on/off separately in settings once programmed.

Method A2:
  • Do everything in Method A
  • Then buy 2 fully setup OEM RAM rearview mirrors with the LED in the glass as well as the features yours already have and replace your existing ones (or you can just buy the new glass and wiring and replace those in your existing ones which seems a little difficult)
  • Finally use alpha OBD or another interface program to activate the BSM sensors and mirror lights on your truck. This will have the OEM visual cue in the mirror as well as the audible one and you can turn either on/off separately in settings once programmed.

Method B:
  • Buy the full LED tail lights with both sensors, heat sinks and wiring already in them.
  • Replace your existing tail light housings with the new ones.
  • De-pin one wire on the driver's side brake light jumper. (#8)
  • Add the wiring from the big thru-body connector under the driver's seat to the star connector block in the kick panel to the left of the drivers spot.
  • Finally use alpha OBD or another interface program to activate the BSM sensors only on your truck. (without lights in the doors or in the outer mirrors, it will function as an audible alert only
Method B1:
  • Do everything in Method B
  • Then buy 2 little LEDs from amazon or whatever and install them in the door sails toward the rearview mirrors and wire those
  • Finally use alpha OBD or another interface program to activate the BSM sensors and mirror lights on your truck. This will have a visual cue as well as the audible one and you can turn either on/off separately in settings once programmed.

Method B2: (the mac daddy cost wise, but the least effort)
  • Do everything in Method B
  • Then buy 2 fully setup OEM RAM rearview mirrors with the LED in the glass as well as the features yours already have and replace your existing ones (or you can just buy the new glass and wiring and replace those in your existing ones which seems a little difficult)
  • Finally use alpha OBD or another interface program to activate the BSM sensors and mirror lights on your truck. This will have the OEM visual cue in the mirror as well as the audible one and you can turn either on/off separately in settings once programmed.

As you can see there are some choices, and various part chasing you'll have to do dependent on which method you want to do, but i would recommend against getting anything from a dealer. Not to mention the wiring from the driver's seat connector to the start connector has to be made, but Jimmy07 a member on the forum makes and sells them and they are very good quality. eBay has been a good source for these parts if you don't mind used stuff and you want to keep the cost down.

I have personally started with Method A planning to eventually end up at A2 but only buying the mirror glass and wiring those in... so far not working out super well. 😩

Last edited:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it turned out to be a disaster. I’m just ordering a heat sink and extra sensor from ebay for $150. Shame that my parts guy can’t even find the left-hand heat sink since it only cost me $6.41 for the right hand one.

Edit: I may have just found the right part number. It looks like it could be 68396592AA since my paperwork shows the other numbers.

View attachment 133763
Hey did this number actually turn out to be the driver's side one?

i see 592AA and 594AA but were you able to determine which was which?

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it’s def got some adhesive in there. I took out the 4 screwed and Just the internals came loose. They could be helping hold it together but I have no idea where to start with the adhesive. There’s a guy in this thread who got one apart before. I’ll edit this and tag him and see if he has any ideas.

[mention]tdb0021 [/mention] any suggestions on how to take the whole housing apart like you did? Did the light survive?

so this part i also retract... the 4 smaller T-10 torx screws actually only hold the internals to the back wall of the housing... and these aren't held together by adhesive.. as far as i can tell they are plastic welded together so baking and heat gun stuff isnt gonna get them apart w/o damaging them it looks like. and i did get a better look inside at the board along the bottom that controls the blinker portion... looks like i did hit it whilst cutting 😩

so instead of just giving up, i bought an OEM passenger side one WITH the sensor and heatsink already in it. 😖 luckily tho i was able to find a decent one on the eBays for just less than it would cost to buy a brand new one w/o the sensors (aka just replacing with exactly what i had and either giving up or starting over.)

I also enlisted the help of a good friend of mine who is much better as stuff like this haha so i decided i have one shot left at getting the driver's side done right. we did it today and immediately ran it out the the truck and checked all of the functions and it works, so i wired up that sensor and its installed... i have the 300AA jumpers so i depinned the #8 from the driver's jumper and put my housing back in. so now i wait for the oops replacement tp show up and the next step is programming it. 🤞🤞🤞🤞 That'll be monday night so i'll update then

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey did this number actually turn out to be the driver's side one?

i see 592AA and 594AA but were you able to determine which was which?
Yes, I did come to a determination. After my wholesale parts guy contacted Mopar directly, they opened a case about it. They were waiting on me to provide a picture of the tail light that shows the part number of the tail light assembly. The reason they want that is to take it to engineering and show that it does not match the part in their official parts system. Of course, I can’t do that because I’m doing a retrofit and taillight part numbers are different. I told my parts guy to forget about it and I would get a junkyard unit. All in all, the parts guy and Mopar rep confirmed that there is an error in their online parts system.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I did come to a determination. After my wholesale parts guy contacted Mopar directly, they opened a case about it. They were waiting on me to provide a picture of the tail light that shows the part number of the tail light assembly. The reason they want that is to take it to engineering and show that it does not match the part in their official parts system. Of course, I can’t do that because I’m doing a retrofit and taillight part numbers are different. I told my parts guy to forget about it and I would get a junkyard unit. All in all, the parts guy and Mopar rep confirmed that there is an error in their online parts system.
crap... if you wanna reopen it for them i'm actually gonna have one with the correct part number on it on monday, i can post a pic you can use if you want. unless its already a foregone conclusion. could help someone else down the line.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
crap... if you wanna reopen it for them i'm actually gonna have one with the correct part number on it on monday, i can post a pic you can use if you want. unless its already a foregone conclusion. could help someone else down the line.
I didn’t think about it until now, but I could send a pic of the junkyard unit I got. I can email him a pic and see if he can send it up.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, both rear sensors are installed, (one replacement and one is my existing one modified to fit a sensor.) next step is programming it to be active audio only via JScan on iphone which i'll admit i am even more scurrd to do than i was to cut the brake light housings... i cannot find ANY info on how to use JScan or people who have used it, and when i ask on the forum its crickets... so i'm not sure i'm ready for this part just yet. haha. I have used these things in the past, but not for such a sophisticated truck, and most were a little more user friendly than this one... i had to buy a license to get full functionality and i cannot even tell how to use said license... it was for 1 VIN, but it doesn't ask for a vin anywhere in the app... so i may go plug in and see if it asks at that point.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All settings are in the Body computer and Car configuration change. The last one for the door may or may not be needed? I added the mirrors with the LED so I never tried without it. It will take awhile for the radio to pickup the changes for the menu but it will.
View attachment 42576 View attachment 42578
View attachment 42579 View attachment 42580
View attachment 42581

ok so i just changes my settings but using JScan for iPhone... the menus seem similar (and this may be dumbness on my part) but i assume that is because these come from the truck, not the app being used to modify settings.

I was able to find an enable the following:
Cabin Net LBSM Left Blind Spot
Cabin Net RBSM Right Blind Spot
Custsetmenu Blind Spot Alert (my menu did not say CSM on this one)
and i left the doors settign alone for now as i do not have the LED in the mirrors or another type just yet.. i intend to use the audio only for now

BUT, i cannot find anything similar to that 2nd last one pictured, "Veh Config 7 - Active Blindspot Present" in JScan...

anyone have any ideas on where i might look?

Haven't taken her out for a spin yet to see if they are working but there was one more interesting thing... i restarted the radio and went to the menu to enable the feature... and once the option finally showed up, i noticed i only have 3 settings to pick from

- Off
- Lights
-Lights and audio

There is no "audio only option" so my question to the guys already using this w/o the mirror lights, is that what you saw on your radio menu as well?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ok so i just changes my settings but using JScan for iPhone... the menus seem similar (and this may be dumbness on my part) but i assume that is because these come from the truck, not the app being used to modify settings.

I was able to find an enable the following:
Cabin Net LBSM Left Blind Spot
Cabin Net RBSM Right Blind Spot
Custsetmenu Blind Spot Alert (my menu did not say CSM on this one)
and i left the doors settign alone for now as i do not have the LED in the mirrors or another type just yet.. i intend to use the audio only for now

BUT, i cannot find anything similar to that 2nd last one pictured, "Veh Config 7 - Active Blindspot Present" in JScan...

anyone have any ideas on where i might look?

Haven't taken her out for a spin yet to see if they are working but there was one more interesting thing... i restarted the radio and went to the menu to enable the feature... and once the option finally showed up, i noticed i only have 3 settings to pick from

- Off
- Lights
-Lights and audio

There is no "audio only option" so my question to the guys already using this w/o the mirror lights, is that what you saw on your radio menu as well?
Yes, that’s the options in mine also. Do you see anything similar in wording to “active blindspot present” in Jscan when viewing the BCM configs?

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t. And I feel like I looked pretty thoroughly. I’m obviously gonna give it another look, but I’ll take it for a test ride in a few and see if it does anything, because all 3 settings I did activate responded and confirmed active afterward. Seems weird tho that I can only find 4 of 5 and would only need 3. Hahah

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t. And I feel like I looked pretty thoroughly. I’m obviously gonna give it another look, but I’ll take it for a test ride in a few and see if it does anything, because all 3 settings I did activate responded and confirmed active afterward. Seems weird tho that I can only find 4 of 5 and would only need 3. Hahah

Sounds good. I just downloaded jscan. I wonder if I can view anything without making a purchase.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nah they wouldn’t let me see the menus for what they call “adaptation” until I bought 1 vin. But it’s a one time purchase so now I have it.

And it actually did activate the license when it connected to the truck for the first time after purchasing. My vin popped up and it asked if I wanted to associate that vin with the license I bought. So that part was easy.

And update, just got back from my test drive and everything works! No codes not malfunctions (so far) but I chose “lights and audio” on my radio menu and it gives 2 distinct beeps when you activate a blinker with someone in your blind spot. Both sides worked. And I like that it’s not constant. Just 2 tones right away and that’s it. Granted that doesn’t tell you when they are gone but it makes you look. Which is the point.

Haven’t seen how the cross path detection works in this config yet but I’ll report on that when it happens.

I’m still gonna look thru all the submenus next chance I get, but the next big thing is doing the mirrors.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nah they wouldn’t let me see the menus for what they call “adaptation” until I bought 1 vin. But it’s a one time purchase so now I have it.

And it actually did activate the license when it connected to the truck for the first time after purchasing. My vin popped up and it asked if I wanted to associate that vin with the license I bought. So that part was easy.

And update, just got back from my test drive and everything works! No codes not malfunctions (so far) but I chose “lights and audio” on my radio menu and it gives 2 distinct beeps when you activate a blinker with someone in your blind spot. Both sides worked. And I like that it’s not constant. Just 2 tones right away and that’s it. Granted that doesn’t tell you when they are gone but it makes you look. Which is the point.

Haven’t seen how the cross path detection works in this config yet but I’ll report on that when it happens.

I’m still gonna look thru all the submenus next chance I get, but the next big thing is doing the mirrors.

I was actually wondering about the BSMO setting:
BDA6C0AF-4D48-412C-ADDF-36E54133C33A.png
Good it’s working for you though!

Users who are viewing this thread