5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea yet on why that original harness didn't work? My trucks got all pins too with halogen tailights. Im still waiting on 1 more module to arrive to start assembly.
I didn’t dig into it honestly since I already had the replacement taillight jumper harnesses on hand. It was a lot faster to just swap them out for the new harnesses and retest. Once I verified it was working I never looked back at the original wiring.

Shawn84

Reaction score
That is correct. Where the new jumper plugs into the existing bumper harness, pins 3, 11, and 12 are not populated. As long as the connector that plugs into the driver side tail light has 11 out of 12 pins populated (pin 8 missing), and the passenger side tail light connector is fully populated with all 12 wires, everything is good.

I'll look again when I get home tonight, but my existing driver side jumper seemed to be populated all but 1, I'll check which pin then. My truck came with halogen tail lights. For those of use with what appears to be a full harness, is there any easy repin or change we can make to it vs replacing it with the led bsm jumpers?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Murt

Reaction score
Hoping someone can clarify a question for me. On a 2022 Bighorn is the jumper wire for the BSM in the taillight or do I need to purchase the jumpers? I’m waiting on delivery of my truck and trying to gather parts while I wait. Thanks

Shawn84

Reaction score
Hoping someone can clarify a question for me. On a 2022 Bighorn is the jumper wire for the BSM in the taillight or do I need to purchase the jumpers? I’m waiting on delivery of my truck and trying to gather parts while I wait. Thanks
The "jumper wire" is a short harness that goes from the taillight plug to the main rear bumper harness. It's maybe 2' long. If you remove your tail lights the tag on the harness has 3 digits and 2 letter large under a QR code. They should be "220AD" for the driver side and "222AD" for the passenger side. (Don't hold me to that exactly. The 3 digits should remain the same but Mopar changes to letters as new parts supercede)

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Has anybody found just the glass with the blind spot, heating and the auto dimming? The only ones that I see around are the ones that are heated and blind spot but no auto dimming. Around $40 a peice

Shawn84

Reaction score
In alfaOBD, what are "cust.set.menu 2: blind spot with trailer CSM present" and "cust.set.menu 3: trailer length blind spot enable/disable CSM present"?

Should I enable these? I have an 8.4 nonnav console.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In alfaOBD, what are "cust.set.menu 2: blind spot with trailer CSM present" and "cust.set.menu 3: trailer length blind spot enable/disable CSM present"?

Should I enable these? I have an 8.4 nonnav console.
The CustSetMenu 2 option is not used for Ram trucks. The CustSetMenu 3 option is for extending the distance behind you for blind spot detection to account for the length of a trailer that is connected to the 7-way trailer connector. It only works if you have 2020+ BSM sensor part numbers.

Shawn84

Reaction score
Does it matter that that part number is listed for the 2500 and 3500? I only have a Ram 1500

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does it matter that that part number is listed for the 2500 and 3500? I only have a Ram 1500
Whoops, I didn’t pay attention to the forum I replied to (hdrams has a similar thread). I believe for the 1500s, there is only the one BSM sensor part number, and I’m pretty sure they have the trailer length feature. You would enable the CustSetMenu 3 option, and it should show up in the radio settings under blind spot. It’ll let you choose between auto length and max length of 39’.

Shawn84

Reaction score
So I enabled it and drove up the highway with a 7x16 trailer hooked up. Nothing on the dash showed the trailer length. The setting in the radio is on auto.

I'm also experiencing an issue with the passenger side tail light. The BSM always seems to think someone is there, and I'm getting tail light turn signal out warning on the dash occasionally. I'll have to check the connector

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I enabled it and drove up the highway with a 7x16 trailer hooked up. Nothing on the dash showed the trailer length.

Is there a setting for it in the radio settings. On the HDs, you can choose auto, and after a few turns, it will pick up on the length of the trailer.

Shawn84

Reaction score
Sorry just edit/rewrote my reply

Shawn84

Reaction score
You know how things just go from one to another LOL

So I searched through the forum and realized I still need to enable the turn signal drop out setting in alfaOBD. This project was blind spot monitoring and adding LED turn signals.

But figures I can't alfaOBD to connect to the BCM now

Shawn84

Reaction score
Well still dealing with AlfaOBD about my OBDLink USB not working, thankfully I had an ELM Bluetooth adapter laying around to correct my BCM.

Took a week to show up on my dash, but everything is working now.

I used Recons new LED tailights designed for OEM blind spot monitoring. Those on 30% discount plus the appropriate sensors and wiring wasn't and at all. I think I spent $700 total to get this all added in.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well still dealing with AlfaOBD about my OBDLink USB not working, thankfully I had an ELM Bluetooth adapter laying around to correct my BCM.

Took a week to show up on my dash, but everything is working now.

I used Recons new LED tailights designed for OEM blind spot monitoring. Those on 30% discount plus the appropriate sensors and wiring wasn't and at all. I think I spent $700 total to get this all added in.

Nice! I didn’t know about recons. I have factory LED’s without BSM, so I’m going to check current prices of juat the BSM modules and compare that to the Recon prices. Do you know how to tell whether I need the Jimmy07 harness?

Shawn84

Reaction score
Nice! I didn’t know about recons. I have factory LED’s without BSM, so I’m going to check current prices of juat the BSM modules and compare that to the Recon prices. Do you know how to tell whether I need the Jimmy07 harness?
If the plugs behind your taillights match the numbers in my previous post youre good on all outside wiring. If you look under your driver seat carpet at the wiring harness, look for those 4 wires previously mentioned. You'll most likely still have to install those from the seat to the side dash.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The canbus wires will always be missing from under the driver seat to the star can block on non equipped trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread