5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

yup ram

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the dealership will turn on the BSM features if i install all the hardware? Or do i really need to invest in the alfa OBD system? I have all Apple devices and was thinking i could save a chunk of change just having them do it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the dealership will turn on the BSM features if i install all the hardware? Or do i really need to invest in the alfa OBD system? I have all Apple devices and was thinking i could save a chunk of change just having them do it.
The dealership probably won’t be able to add it. If you only have iOS, you can use Jscan (half as much as AlfaOBD).

DrowningTrout

Reaction score
Jimmy07 thank you for all the help and support. I added the lights last night and went for a drive to the local hardware store and the BSM is already working on my truck! I don't have the mirrors yet, but the audio part of it will beep if someone is there! Crazy I haven't bought the taser to turn on the feature yet!

Well after changing out the glass and adding the wiring for the BSM, I realize I do have to activate it with AlfaOBD or the taser. I get the audio warning, but the lights on the mirrors don't light up.

For anybody doing the job and just replacing the mirrors, it's a very easy job! Just take your time on prying apart the mirror assembly. I did the driver one in about 50 mins, then the passenger side in about 30 mins. I accidently unclipped the power to the motor for the folding feature of the mirror assembly so I had to take apart the full thing. It took me less then 10 mins to do it and less then 5 to put it back together. It's super easy to do, just looks harder then it is.
You happen to have the part number or a link for the mirror glass with the blind spot Indicator?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You happen to have the part number or a link for the mirror glass with the blind spot Indicator?
It depends on what features you have on your truck. Mine driver is heated and has auto dimming, my passenger just has dimming. Here are the replacement glass for those with blind side.

Attachments

• 083554F5-B377-43B4-9781-9719658E520D.jpeg
    083554F5-B377-43B4-9781-9719658E520D.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 136

Johny777

Reaction score
Would this still work for a 22 sport? My tail lights look like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203259998475
I've went through most of the thread but can't seem to figure out if I just have to purchase the sensor and it just screws in, or do I have to purchase new tail lights?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would this still work for a 22 sport? My tail lights look like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203259998475
I've went through most of the thread but can't seem to figure out if I just have to purchase the sensor and it just screws in, or do I have to purchase new tail lights?
You will either need to modify your taillights the able to add the sensors or buy new ones with the sensors already in them. You also have to run some wires as well and change out the glass and wires or the whole mirror assemblies that have the BSM.

DrowningTrout

Reaction score
Does anybody have the part number for the connector that connects to the mirror glass for BSM? I have a power folding tow mirror and purchased just the glass with heat and BSM.

Marcons424

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie Level 2 without BSM, when looking at the wire harness that connects to the taillight it looks like all the pins are fully populated. I confirmed with dealer that the wiring for the BSM module is there. So I purchased the BSM Modules which I will be installing on my existing LED Tail Lights (I have the harness that goes inside the tail light) My question to the group, I purchased new sideview mirrors that have Blind Spot Light built in, is it as simple as plug in play from hardware perspective?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie Level 2 without BSM, when looking at the wire harness that connects to the taillight it looks like all the pins are fully populated. I confirmed with dealer that the wiring for the BSM module is there. So I purchased the BSM Modules which I will be installing on my existing LED Tail Lights (I have the harness that goes inside the tail light) My question to the group, I purchased new sideview mirrors that have Blind Spot Light built in, is it as simple as plug in play from hardware perspective?
The truck will have to be programmed by RAM to get everything working.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you have AlfaOBD, you can just activate the feature once you change out the mirrors, tail lights and run the wiring from underneath the connector of the truck to the inside of the BCM.

My 21 had all the wires on the tail light assemblies too. Also when I added the tail lights with the sensors my truck did have the audio notifications set to on, so even though I didn't have the mirrors if I turned on my blinker and a car was in my blind side I would get the audio notification. LOL weird they left that one, but whatever..

Marcons424

Reaction score
Unless you have AlfaOBD, you can just activate the feature once you change out the mirrors, tail lights and run the wiring from underneath the connector of the truck to the inside of the BCM.

My 21 had all the wires on the tail light assemblies too. Also when I added the tail lights with the sensors my truck did have the audio notifications set to on, so even though I didn't have the mirrors if I turned on my blinker and a car was in my blind side I would get the audio notification. LOL weird they left that one, but whatever..

Marcons424

Reaction score
Do you have pictures of how you connected the Wires from underneath the truck to the BCM inside the vehicle. That's where I am getting confused. That would be so helpful

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I followed and it helped me a lot.

Attachments

• Adding Blind Spot Monitoring.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 128

TravisH

Reaction score
Do you have pictures of how you connected the Wires from underneath the truck to the BCM inside the vehicle. That's where I am getting confused. That would be so helpful

I’ll chime in. I did not drill a hole in the floor. Don’t like that idea. Here are some pics when I did mine.

bf25954940e5ede2a952b363f21e051f.jpg

0a73702bad6628d11a4808337990753f.jpg

a95ce76007a1c14b675500fc3f99b1da.jpg

33c993cce81bdcc2e1fd46f11dfe16ea.jpg

da8fdfc77c7c59256384fe4840db0254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snye

Reaction score
I offer the missing section of canbus wires that use the correct terminals to insert into the xy400 connector.
It’s because of the termination resistance at each port for each module on the junction block that you shouldn’t “chain” module canbus wires together.
How much for can bus harness to the xy400 to pin right in

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll chime in. I did not drill a hole in the floor. Don’t like that idea. Here are some pics when I did mine.

bf25954940e5ede2a952b363f21e051f.jpg

0a73702bad6628d11a4808337990753f.jpg

a95ce76007a1c14b675500fc3f99b1da.jpg

33c993cce81bdcc2e1fd46f11dfe16ea.jpg

da8fdfc77c7c59256384fe4840db0254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for some assistance from anyone that took this route. I got my harness from Jimmy and in the process of trying to add the wires to the proper pin locations. I hate to admit it, but I cannot for the life of me get the wiring to sit down in the terminals of the XY connector properly. I read the XY400 attachment that was provided in here and I read how you need to open the ISL by pushing to the left (away from #21 Co-ax). I also cannot get that ISL lock connector to move much at all to disengage. Any tips or tricks from anyone that went this route? Appreciate it in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread