5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

Kyzeebomb61

Reaction score
Looking for some assistance from anyone that took this route. I got my harness from Jimmy and in the process of trying to add the wires to the proper pin locations. I hate to admit it, but I cannot for the life of me get the wiring to sit down in the terminals of the XY connector properly. I read the XY400 attachment that was provided in here and I read how you need to open the ISL by pushing to the left (away from #21 Co-ax). I also cannot get that ISL lock connector to move much at all to disengage. Any tips or tricks from anyone that went this route? Appreciate it in advance.
Bowman, you should totally make a video of this process, even up on youtube, you would garner up quiet a viewer base!!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bowman, you should totally make a video of this process, even up on youtube, you would garner up quiet a viewer base!!
Haha I’ve been taking tons of photos but already too late in the process to record. I did figure the connector out. I missed a step in the attachment. But now I have some check engine lights that I need to work through to see what those are from.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update:
the check engine lights was from 11 DTC codes stored. All appeared to be related from disconnecting the XY400 connector. I cleared those out and have not had any lights return since.

So with using Jimmy’s section of harness, I finally have pins 39, 40, 41, and 42 added to the XY400 connector and the opposing ends were plugged into open spots on the CAN.

In AlfaOBD I enabled the following:
Cabin Net - RBSM Right Blind Spot Module
CustSetMenu 1-Blind Spot Alert CSM - Yes
Veh Config 7- Active Blind Spot Present-Yes

As stated by a member previously, I also did not have Cabin Net-LBSM Left Blind Spot Module as an option in AlfaOBD but I did enable Cabin Net: BSS Blind-Spot Sensor/LBSS Left Blind-Spot Sensor in place since they confirmed that it worked for them.

I did not enable car configuration change: Doors-Blindspot Mirror Present since I do not currently have blind spot mirrors or LEDs pinned in. I’m just looking for the audio to work until I get blind spot mirrors installed.

For the taillight jumper harnesses, I ordered PN 68357220AC and 68357222AC but I received two jumper harnesses that match above, but both end in AD instead of AC. I assume it’s just an updated version. I have not installed these yet because when I removed my existing taillights, I found that both the driver and passenger side both have all 12 pins populated while the new tails do not. I know the jumper on the passenger side should have an extra ground to allow the BSM to distinguish left and right. My new jumper wiring has 11 out of 12 pins on the driver populated and 12 out of 12 on the passenger. What concerns me is that the existing taillight wiring currently has all pins populated on both sides. I tested the trucks blind spot with the existing wiring in place and it does not work (didn’t anticipate it working but wanted to confirm). So if I replace with the new taillight jumpers I should in theory be good right? Shouldn’t be any issues with going from 12 pins on the driver down to 11?

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but my truck originally came with halogen taillights. I swapped to LED taillights with blind spot modules a couple months back.

Attachments

• FEFFBE55-AFC9-446E-ADD1-BEE99900BACB.jpeg
    FEFFBE55-AFC9-446E-ADD1-BEE99900BACB.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 171
  • D2E7A8CE-84EE-48DA-82BA-90986AE439F7.jpeg
    D2E7A8CE-84EE-48DA-82BA-90986AE439F7.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 170
  • CB41E1FE-11F5-4AF6-8650-9A53AE06F208.jpeg
    CB41E1FE-11F5-4AF6-8650-9A53AE06F208.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 0826B05A-BAD6-49AE-B073-A28765C557B6.jpeg
    0826B05A-BAD6-49AE-B073-A28765C557B6.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got some time to finish up the job this afternoon. I swapped the taillight jumper harnesses out with the new ones mentioned in my previous post above and everything is working as it should. Once again, I’m only using the audio portion of the BSM feature right now but plan to add new mirrors very soon.

if enough interest, I can try to tack on to the existing how-to guide with detailed steps of adding the wiring to the XY400 connector so that you do not have to drill a hole in the floor pan or splice into any wiring. its a pretty straight forward process if you read the attachment that Jimmy included previously, but I’d be willing to condense it to only the relevant information if anyone would find it helpful. Otherwise, anyone can just shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to help.

@Jimmy07 thank you again for the awesome wiring harness! First for the passive entry and now with the blind spot wiring! Amazing quality!

Last edited:

gallobg

Reaction score
I would be very very interested in how to adapt the XY400 connector! Either in the howto or by PM, whichever is easier. This project is on my spring todo list once the truck isn’t covered in snow anymore.

Kyzeebomb61

Reaction score
So I got some time to finish up the job this afternoon. I swapped the taillight jumper harnesses out with the new ones mentioned in my previous post above and everything is working as it should. Once again, I’m only using the audio portion of the BSM feature right now but plan to add new mirrors very soon.

if enough interest, I can try to tack on to the existing how-to guide with detailed steps of adding the wiring to the XY400 connector so that you do not have to drill a hole in the floor pan or splice into any wiring. its a pretty straight forward process if you read the attachment that Jimmy included previously, but I’d be willing to condense it to only the relevant information if anyone would find it helpful. Otherwise, anyone can just shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to help.

@Jimmy07 thank you again for the awesome wiring harness! First for the passive entry and now with the blind spot wiring! Amazing quality!
tack on the how to guide!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
tack on the how to guide!
Will do. I'll throw something together and will drop it in this thread. Like I mentioned, it is relatively straight forward but I know how helpful step by step processes are. It would have been valuable for me while I was doing mine so I'm sure it will be helpful for others as well.

Kyzeebomb61

Reaction score
Will do. I'll throw something together and will drop it in this thread. Like I mentioned, it is relatively straight forward but I know how helpful step by step processes are. It would have been valuable for me while I was doing mine so I'm sure it will be helpful for others as well.
Absolutely, I'm more a picture book kind of guy anyhow 😁

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my write up for taking the XY400 connector route. Like several others have already mentioned, I did not want to drill a hole in my floor nor did I want to splice into any of the factory wiring harnesses. I wanted this to be as clean and close to a factory look as possible, but completely reversible at the same time. I know quite a few members have already taken this method so if I missed anything important or relevant to the process, please feel free to correct or add to the document if needed. I can't upload it to this thread, but I do still have the Microsoft Word version of this document if anyone would like it so that easy alterations can be made. Please know that I am far from an expert so I apologize in advance if I used incorrect terminology on anything in the guide lol.

Also keep in mind that this write up is only geared towards adding the wiring to the XY400 connector using Jimmy07's harness. The other tasks from the original write up are still necessary for BSM to work. If anyone wishes to take this and combine it with the existing BSM write up to create one single document they are welcome to do so.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DT_Ram1500_Adding_BSM_Harness.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
So the people that have done this from the full start to the end result, what was the all in cost for all of it?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really hard to give you an exact amount because there are so many different variables that can come into play based on which route you plan to take. Do you plan on buying OEM LED taillights with the blind spot modules already in them? Do you plan to retrofit your existing non-BSM LED taillights? Do you plan to buy non-BSM LEDs and then retrofit them? Do you plan to replace your existing mirrors with new blind spot mirrors, or do you plan to only try and replace the glass from the mirror? If you replace the entire mirror assembly, which mirror style are you going with (traditional, tow, power folding, etc.)? Or you could take the route some people take and just add a cheap LED indicator to have the BSM light functioning. Some people choose not to add the LED feature at all and only rely on the audio chime for BSM.

My point being, that it is just really hard to give you an overall general price because there are so many different factors that can contribute to your cost. What cost one member $400 may end up costing another member double or triple that depending on what they decide to do and what parts they choose to go with. I'll drop my cost information below just so you can have some sort of reference point but this definitely will not be consistent across the board for everyone. I purchased my taillights as a new (open box) item so I'm not sure what they go for at the dealer if buying new. I still haven't added mirrors to this project yet so the price will go up depending on which mirrors I end up going with. Also, I'm not dropping pricing info on Jimmy's wiring harness. That is out of respect for him. He builds the harnesses to help members out and make a few extra bucks during the process. It wouldn't be right of me to put his pricing out there.

1645636068221.png

If just looking to add BSM, this would be a pretty expensive project. In my case, I was adding OEM LED taillights regardless because I wanted an upgrade from my halogen taillights. I decided to buy taillights with the BSM modules because I figured if I'm already dishing out the cash for the taillight upgrade, I might as well add BSM since it doesn't really cost that much more.

If you don't have AlfaOBD or something similar to enable the features in the BCM, that will be an additional cost for you to get this working.

Last edited:

gallobg

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed pricing! Very helpful.

Can I ask where you got your OEM taillights from? I'm mostly seeing prices of about $600 each. The shop you got yours from is much better!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed pricing! Very helpful.

Can I ask where you got your OEM taillights from? I'm mostly seeing prices of about $600 each. The shop you got yours from is much better!
Got lucky and found them being sold as an open box set on eBay. I snagged them immediately lol.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I thought this would be an pretty expensive project but it looks like it may not be. I have a Laramie Level A (thanks, Covid) so I don't have BSM but I already have the LED tail lights. So am I reading correctly @JBowman that all I would need is the taillight wiring and the harness from Jimmy? Then of course a way to activate it. Or would I need to trade out my LED taillights for BSM-specific LED taillights? I honestly like the blind spot mirror more than BSM but for an inexpensive project, it would be cool to add options back to the truck.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought this would be an pretty expensive project but it looks like it may not be. I have a Laramie Level A (thanks, Covid) so I don't have BSM but I already have the LED tail lights. So am I reading correctly @JBowman that all I would need is the taillight wiring and the harness from Jimmy? Then of course a way to activate it. Or would I need to trade out my LED taillights for BSM-specific LED taillights? I honestly like the blind spot mirror more than BSM but for an inexpensive project, it would be cool to add options back to the truck.
You would still need to buy and add the BSM modules that live in the BSM taillights and then modify your existing non-BSM led taillights to house those modules. I’m really not sure what the cost would be for that or how difficult that is to do but quite a few people in this thread have done it that way. If you read through the original How-To PDF attachment that is floating around in here, there are some pictures and information of that process being done to the non-BSM tails. I’m just not familiar enough with that route to be able to give you sound advice. I don’t think it would be too bad to do, but it may be more involved than you would like. Others could probably chime in on it to let you know how manageable or cost effective that method is.

Last edited:

TravisH

Reaction score

I have a lot of pictures on how to add the bsm sensors to existing led tail lights. You will need the bsm connectors and pins. You may also need the rear taillight harnesses if you don’t have the right ones already. Mine did.

I’ll add a couple pics but I have more.

603049ac57343f2dcdfd26f2c16da797.jpg

27d784183d848d73deed3df26d133695.jpg

ee539f228862e305cce206aadad2624a.jpg

78208d918498b629ccc7de0a1c95aeec.jpg

d3ebef3a541cd448164ea93bc25acf5b.jpg

4dc14b59d849e44480113796d09ab43c.jpg

dba40d097eb899c1e751e0b399dea8f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
I have a lot of pictures on how to add the bsm sensors to existing led tail lights. You will need the bsm connectors and pins. You may also need the rear taillight harnesses if you don’t have the right ones already. Mine did.

I’ll add a couple pics but I have more.

603049ac57343f2dcdfd26f2c16da797.jpg

27d784183d848d73deed3df26d133695.jpg

ee539f228862e305cce206aadad2624a.jpg

78208d918498b629ccc7de0a1c95aeec.jpg

d3ebef3a541cd448164ea93bc25acf5b.jpg

4dc14b59d849e44480113796d09ab43c.jpg

dba40d097eb899c1e751e0b399dea8f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice pics on lights. What part of WI are you in? La Crosse here

Shawn84

Reaction score
Update:
the check engine lights was from 11 DTC codes stored. All appeared to be related from disconnecting the XY400 connector. I cleared those out and have not had any lights return since.

So with using Jimmy’s section of harness, I finally have pins 39, 40, 41, and 42 added to the XY400 connector and the opposing ends were plugged into open spots on the CAN.

In AlfaOBD I enabled the following:
Cabin Net - RBSM Right Blind Spot Module
CustSetMenu 1-Blind Spot Alert CSM - Yes
Veh Config 7- Active Blind Spot Present-Yes

As stated by a member previously, I also did not have Cabin Net-LBSM Left Blind Spot Module as an option in AlfaOBD but I did enable Cabin Net: BSS Blind-Spot Sensor/LBSS Left Blind-Spot Sensor in place since they confirmed that it worked for them.

I did not enable car configuration change: Doors-Blindspot Mirror Present since I do not currently have blind spot mirrors or LEDs pinned in. I’m just looking for the audio to work until I get blind spot mirrors installed.

For the taillight jumper harnesses, I ordered PN 68357220AC and 68357222AC but I received two jumper harnesses that match above, but both end in AD instead of AC. I assume it’s just an updated version. I have not installed these yet because when I removed my existing taillights, I found that both the driver and passenger side both have all 12 pins populated while the new tails do not. I know the jumper on the passenger side should have an extra ground to allow the BSM to distinguish left and right. My new jumper wiring has 11 out of 12 pins on the driver populated and 12 out of 12 on the passenger. What concerns me is that the existing taillight wiring currently has all pins populated on both sides. I tested the trucks blind spot with the existing wiring in place and it does not work (didn’t anticipate it working but wanted to confirm). So if I replace with the new taillight jumpers I should in theory be good right? Shouldn’t be any issues with going from 12 pins on the driver down to 11?

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but my truck originally came with halogen taillights. I swapped to LED taillights with blind spot modules a couple months back.
Any idea yet on why that original harness didn't work? My trucks got all pins too with halogen tailights. Im still waiting on 1 more module to arrive to start assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online