5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HVAC Squeak after truck is shut down

Pep_594

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn making the same noise. It only tends to do it on hot days where I have ran the AC for a while. Thanks for this thread. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution before I take mine to the dealer.

Chris_R

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread, my 2020 Laramie has been doing this pretty much since I bought it in June. I haven’t taken it in yet but I will mention it when I do take it in for an oil change. However, I have zero faith they will fix it...Everybody at the dealership seems so miserable and uncaring....

Sounds like where I take my truck. LOL

My truck has had the expansion valve and evaporator replaced. Truck has been in and out of the shop 5+ times and it still makes the noise. It is at the shop again as I type this. Just has 3000 miles on it.

lkuseian

Reaction score
Agreed my Dealership (jeffdambrosio Dodge Ram Exton PA) said its operating as expected SMH. Sounds like Ram has no idea what it is and I don't have any intention of bringing it in over and over again to begin a spiteful dealer relationship and annoyed mechanics doing half-*** warrantied repairs. .... although how many times for a lemon is it again lol

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread, my 2020 Laramie has been doing this pretty much since I bought it in June. I haven’t taken it in yet but I will mention it when I do take it in for an oil change. However, I have zero faith they will fix it...Everybody at the dealership seems so miserable and uncaring....
I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn making the same noise. It only tends to do it on hot days where I have ran the AC for a while. Thanks for this thread. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution before I take mine to the dealer.
Hi @realralfy & @Pep_594 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with our team via private message so that we can escalate cases on your behalf for further support as you address this with your dealers!

Agreed my Dealership (jeffdambrosio Dodge Ram Exton PA) said its operating as expected SMH. Sounds like Ram has no idea what it is and I don't have any intention of bringing it in over and over again to begin a spiteful dealer relationship and annoyed mechanics doing half-*** warrantied repairs. .... although how many times for a lemon is it again lol
@lkuseian - When was it that you addressed this with your dealer last? I am more than willing to determine how to best assist if you are willing to send over additional details via PM.

Mark
RamCares

Chris_R

Reaction score
Stopped by my dealer today to get an update. I see my truck just sitting on the lot. I ask for an update and the service writer did not have an update from the tech/mechanic. I get a text a little bit later and they say they are having trouble getting it to make the noise. I ask again if they have driven it at all. In the past visits to the dealer they just turn it on.. idle it and turn it off. They don't actually drive it even though I tell them to drive it. Beyond frustrated.....

Called FCA thru the number that @RamCares gave me and they could not give me an update on my case or who I could talk to. I just have to wait a few days.

Last edited:

Chris_R

Reaction score
So.. after sitting at the dealership for 2 days and at times just sitting on the lot not being worked on the dealer has informed me that the Freon is low and there is a leak somewhere. No idea where yet.

Update - I think what gets me is that we also bought the wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee about a month before I got my truck. It also likes to spend time at the dealership. First it needed the hood repainted, then a door panel replaced.. then the passenger rear window stopped working due to a crushed wire.. still needs to go back for more paint work that FCA approved. I need to go buy more vehicles so I can take my brand new vehicles to the shop.... UGH.

Last edited:

Chris_R

Reaction score
So my dealer informed me this morning that they tested the system and still no leaks present after they did "some seal". They added dye to the system to try and find the leak. The leak was something they mentioned Friday last week.

This afternoon I was informed that we need to wait till the leak is more visible or the system stops blowing cold air. In the mean time I should come pick up the truck till it gives me more problems. I asked if they thought it was fixed and told more than likely not fixed.

@RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
@RamCares my 2020 Laramie has been doing this since I bought it. It is going to the dealer again today for the 3rd or 4th time.

I regret to hear that this has been your experience, @Knight of the Drunken Stu. Please do not hesitate to send over a private message as I am more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer. You may also call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up if you would prefer. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

Chris_R

Reaction score
Dropped my truck off on 9/16. Was told to come pick it up on 9/21 even though they don't believe the issue is fixed. Bird poop on the hood and opened the driver door to a muddy mess. Really nice since I dropped it off washed and clean on the inside/outside. Dealer paperwork shows mileage in but not mileage out. Paperwork does not show what was done.

Open case with @RamCares since 7/22/2020. Case escalated to another group but all I get is voice mail and a comment that they will get back to me within 5 business days.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Throwing my hat in the ring since I haven't read what the cause is yet but I, too, have this. I assumed it was related to an AC component dropping pressure.

lkuseian

Reaction score
Hi @realralfy & @Pep_594 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with our team via private message so that we can escalate cases on your behalf for further support as you address this with your dealers!

@lkuseian - When was it that you addressed this with your dealer last? I am more than willing to determine how to best assist if you are willing to send over additional details via PM.

Mark
RamCares

I let them know about hissing squeak, dealer stated operating as expected.... would have expected that from a ford dealer, maybe we should put a blue oval behind the 5th gen acmodels

Attachments

• 20200921_124140.jpg
    20200921_124140.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 27

RamCares

Reaction score
I let them know about hissing squeak, dealer stated operating as expected.... would have expected that from a ford dealer, maybe we should put a blue oval behind the 5th gen acmodels

Please do not hesitate to send us a private message, if you would be willing to try and address this again or with a different local dealer, we are more than willing to escalate your situation for further support.

Mark
RamCares

Chris_R

Reaction score
This is the paperwork after my latest trip to the dealer and them having the truck for basically a week. This is after them saying they don’t find a problem, to replacing the expansion valve, to another trip to replace the evaporator... to the most current trip of having it for a week and not really finding anything and no real path forward. Case with FCA has been open for 2 months. Nobody cares. They already got my money.

Attachments

• C81A2F43-42FD-4CEF-9243-68271EA6FB69.jpeg
    C81A2F43-42FD-4CEF-9243-68271EA6FB69.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 19

ckirby500

Reaction score
Following here. Bought a used 2019 Rebel and am getting the same issue on the passenger side randomly blowing harder than the driver. Dealer replaced the condenser just before I picked up the truck. I’m not able to replicate, seems random so I haven’t tried a service Dept yet

Chris_R

Reaction score
Yesterday I was on an hour long drive and had the AC running. The flow of air coming out of the vents would increase and decrease drastically on its own without anyone touching anything on the dash. Very strange.

Ncmowes

Reaction score
Dropped my 19 Laramie off with 34k on it last week for the same issue. I had originally taken it in for the issue in August ‘19 to at least start a document trail. Went in today and spoke with the Shop Foreman and shared info from this thread. He said that since it seems to be a known issue, even if they couldn’t replicate, they would escalate to @RamCares for assistance and possible fix. I don’t want this issue to go out of warranty but it doesn’t seem like there really is a fix which is super frustrating since it’s a known issue. The worst part is that I’m getting ready to move away several states and really don’t want to have to deal with multiple dealers with this. Ugh

lkuseian

Reaction score
Second time at the dealer for an unrelated transmission issue and I asked them to also see if they can fix/solve the AC issue with the squeaking they said that the sound is the pressure come up and down and is normal....I dont think it's normal as I haven't had any other car do this before in my life (Ford ranger, Taurus, Fusion, Dodge Durango, Nissan sentra, altima)

ChuckCousins

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2020 loaded 1500 Laramie that has made this noise on shut down since buying it in June..My wife and I were traveling till early November, so I just told her the truck was whistling at her. Took it in to dealer today. They did not fix it and said it was likely a seal rubbing. Doesn’t sound like a seal rubbing to me,, it sounds like air escaping from a balloon.... I guess I’ll check the label on the AC, but find it hard to believe that Ram is still mislabeling the AC charge a year later....

Users who are viewing this thread