5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW To: Wire in a Lightbar or Aftermarket Offroad Lights to Switches

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
One common problem we run into when installing aftermarket lights is that they always come with universal switch harnesses that require you to drill holes in your dash. I hate doing that. Here's a video I put together on how we work around that to cleanly control lights and accessories in your 1500. These kits save us a ton of time and frustration, hope they can help you too.

I'm using the Auxbeam BA80 Switch Panel Kit which is very affordable, I've been running them for years in my vehicles. Here's how the controller (8 gang panel) mounts in the cab, its easy to access from the driving position, doesn't block access to your center console charging ports, or blind you with bright leds. Best yet it requires no drilling, it mounts directly to an existing fastener.

IMG_1631_720x.jpg

All the solid state relays and fuses mount in the engine compartment. This is where you route all your lights to. So once once its installed its incredibly easy to add any additional lights.
Its made of steel so it wont melt like 3d printed ones. And like the button panel, mounts directly to existing fasteners.

IMG_1530_720x.jpg

The entire mounting kit is available here: AUXBEAM SWITCH MOUNTING KIT
If you already have a button mount in your cab, you can find just the engine mount here: AUXBEAM ENGINE BRACKET MOUNT

Hope this helps you wire up that lightbar, ditch lights, chase lights etc ... !

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One common problem we run into when installing aftermarket lights is that they always come with universal switch harnesses that require you to drill holes in your dash. I hate doing that. Here's a video I put together on how we work around that to cleanly control lights and accessories in your 1500. These kits save us a ton of time and frustration, hope they can help you too.

I'm using the Auxbeam BA80 Switch Panel Kit which is very affordable, I've been running them for years in my vehicles. Here's how the controller (8 gang panel) mounts in the cab, its easy to access from the driving position, doesn't block access to your center console charging ports, or blind you with bright leds. Best yet it requires no drilling, it mounts directly to an existing fastener.

IMG_1631_720x.jpg

All the solid state relays and fuses mount in the engine compartment. This is where you route all your lights to. So once once its installed its incredibly easy to add any additional lights.
Its made of steel so it wont melt like 3d printed ones. And like the button panel, mounts directly to existing fasteners.

IMG_1530_720x.jpg

If you already have a button mount in your cab, you can find just the engine mount here: AUXBEAM ENGINE BRACKET MOUNT

i bought this mount only because at the time they did not have them for the 5th gen.this is how it sits now.till hopefully next week when the weather gets better when I can install all the new upgrades

Attachments

• 20240128_122824_InPixio.jpg
    20240128_122824_InPixio.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230822_163205_InPixio.jpg
    20230822_163205_InPixio.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240403_183226.jpg
    20240403_183226.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230821_123002.jpg
    20230821_123002.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
note from professional:
if you can afford it, get Switch-Pro 9100 instead of those Chinese replicas. if you can't afford it, do yourself a favor and save up for one.

Switch-Pros 9100 is what professional race teams run, Baja 1000, KOH, Mint 400, etc certified. It is also sleeker and lower profile as it features a solid state controller (compared to the bulky design of... auxbeam. Also can take on lots of abuse due to better materials used. (i mean, made in US vs made in china... chinese branded electronics are made with significantly lower standard than US spec. )
The lowest Amperage rating for Switch-Pros 9100 is 17A, part of the 2 wire combination design (combined you get 35A). Single outlet lowest amperage is 20A, vs auxbeam's 5-30A.
What does this mean? This means, when wiring up higher draw lights and accessories, you CAN wire directly to Switch Pros. On the other hand, when I wire up lights and accessories to customers' auxbeams, I use relays to power the lights and use auxbeam as trigger only for safety concerns. When customers request me to wire their air compressors and air lockers to auxbeam, i decline due to safety concerns. I only do that for Switch-Pros.
that included breaker switch in the auxbeam kit is also not trustworthy... just hold it side-by-side with a Blue Sea one and you can tell the difference.

other than that, pretty spot on.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
note from professional:
if you can afford it, get Switch-Pro 9100 instead of those Chinese replicas. if you can't afford it, do yourself a favor and save up for one.

Switch-Pros 9100 is what professional race teams run, Baja 1000, KOH, Mint 400, etc certified. It is also sleeker and lower profile as it features a solid state controller (compared to the bulky design of... auxbeam. Also can take on lots of abuse due to better materials used. (i mean, made in US vs made in china... chinese branded electronics are made with significantly lower standard than US spec. )
The lowest Amperage rating for Switch-Pros 9100 is 17A, part of the 2 wire combination design (combined you get 35A). Single outlet lowest amperage is 20A, vs auxbeam's 5-30A.
What does this mean? This means, when wiring up higher draw lights and accessories, you CAN wire directly to Switch Pros. On the other hand, when I wire up lights and accessories to customers' auxbeams, I use relays to power the lights and use auxbeam as trigger only for safety concerns. When customers request me to wire their air compressors and air lockers to auxbeam, i decline due to safety concerns. I only do that for Switch-Pros.
that included breaker switch in the auxbeam kit is also not trustworthy... just hold it side-by-side with a Blue Sea one and you can tell the difference.

(y) :love:

VICE design

Trusted RAM Truck Adventure Gear
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
if you can afford it, get Switch-Pro 9100 instead of those Chinese replicas.
Switch-Pros 9100 is what professional race teams run, Baja 1000, KOH, Mint 400, etc certified.
There's a place for every budget and goal. 95% of people aren't running over 65A of accessories. Most want to turn on a lightbar behind their grill or a pair of pod lights and some reverse lights. This system accomplishes that with no problems. I agree there are higher end systems, but most do not need a $700 switch to turn on a few lights.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a place for every budget and goal. 95% of people aren't running over 65A of accessories. Most want to turn on a lightbar behind their grill or a pair of pod lights and some reverse lights. This system accomplishes that with no problems. I agree there are higher end systems, but most do not need a $700 switch to turn on a few lights.
damm now im scared to have my air compressor on the aux beam 😂 i only have air compressor and 2 lights bars on tbh :(

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i understand. you get what you pay for. i just don't understand why would someone cheap out on something vital just because they don't need the full capacity. if it's a cost issue then save up and do it right do it once.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
damm now im scared to have my air compressor on the aux beam 😂 i only have air compressor and 2 lights bars on tbh :(
i hope you're using relays and use the chinese panel as trigger. also understand that certain compressor brand will void the warranty if not using their harness. that happened to my customer once. he bought the truck like that and we tried to get it warrantied but got denied, cited harness and switch issue.

frisby5

Reaction score

IMG_1631_720x.jpg

IMG_1530_720x.jpg

I have the bench seat , where do i mount the switches? Thx

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i hope you're using relays and use the chinese panel as trigger. also understand that certain compressor brand will void the warranty if not using their harness. that happened to my customer once. he bought the truck like that and we tried to get it warrantied but got denied, cited harness and switch issue.

yes i was gonna use the aux beam as just a on and off not used for anything esle

Users who are viewing this thread