5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get radio update files

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went and got another thumb drive and now it’s working. Looks like it just didn’t like the one I initially tried. Thanks all.
Yeah same with me. I used a 16gb drive formatted to FAT32, but it wouldn't read. I finally found a very old 8gb drive, and worked perfectly.

Last edited:

glennemc

Reaction score
Mine needed just the last version.
I, literally, saw the countdown timer, then saw it go into the update and the music stopped. Being a nice day here (Phoenix area), I sat in my garage for a bit and tinkered. I noticed the music came back on. My screen was showing the "Cannot update to same version '39.9'" screen.
Now, it no longer skips SXM channels when I manually use the steering wheel buttons and the pages load a lot faster.
Reverified in dealer mode and it did the update without me intervening

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Ok Im guessing this doesn't work if you upgraded your screen from 8.4. Its now saying cannot update software not compatible with vehicle.
My truck is saying cannot update software not compatible with vehicle also. Its a 12 inch screen with software version 19.43.a1.

Was this solved??

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you might need to update the older versions first, then work up to the newest.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its very picky on media. a usb stick ( less than 32gb worked for me, although it'll read over 512gb ntfs for music ), formatted fat32.

Unzip the download. Then copy the VP4R_Update folder to the usb, it needs to be in the root, only thing there. Then after you plug it in, it should start the update.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Its very picky on media. a usb stick ( less than 32gb worked for me, although it'll read over 512gb ntfs for music ), formatted fat32.

Unzip the download. Then copy the VP4R_Update folder to the usb, it needs to be in the root, only thing there. Then after you plug it in, it should start the update.
Did exactly as you mentioned. Still get the 'cannot update software not compatible with vehicle.'

I'm wondering if its because I'm in Canada. The software version starts with Canada ? Did anyone in Canada have successful doing the update?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did exactly as you mentioned. Still get the 'cannot update software not compatible with vehicle.'

I'm wondering if its because I'm in Canada. The software version starts with Canada ? Did anyone in Canada have successful doing the update?
It's all North America, AFAIK.

Try this

put in an old version and it should give you a link to download the update yourself.

Brookelf

Reaction score
My truck is saying cannot update software not compatible with vehicle also. Its a 12 inch screen with software version 19.43.a1.

Was this solved??
No I'm guessing they have different software for different radios the only software I've come across online is for the UAX radio.

Psylence340

Reaction score
I recently did the 39.9 update successfully a few days ago however it does feel like sound quality has dropped off, like the sound isnt as dynamic with less bass and less highs. Has anyone else noticed this?

srborcsani

Reaction score
I recently did the 39.9 update successfully a few days ago however it does feel like sound quality has dropped off, like the sound isnt as dynamic with less bass and less highs. Has anyone else noticed this?
I agree. The HK sound isn’t that great at 39.9.

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their truck to the dealer to have the uconnect updated? I usually like to do things myself, and mines out of warranty anyways as I recently bought it used, but I think I’d rather have them deal with this and that way I can hold them accountable if it doesn’t work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone taken their truck to the dealer to have the uconnect updated? I usually like to do things myself, and mines out of warranty anyways as I recently bought it used, but I think I’d rather have them deal with this and that way I can hold them accountable if it doesn’t work.
The update is simple as plugging in a USB thumb drive and waiting. Really nothing that can go wrong unless you have a corrupted file, or lose power while in middle of update. I think I've only read of one head unit getting bricked during an update and they traced it to a corrupt update file.

Users who are viewing this thread