5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

Jack.

Reaction score
Alright I'm getting ready to do this upgrade now, since I got a 21 with fcw I would need parts #:

68448641AB
68444540AB

The 10ft wires via the Amazon link

And ofc obds for me to enable my auto dim options again

Anything else I'm missing?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Alright I'm getting ready to do this upgrade now, since I got a 21 with fcw I would need parts #:

68448641AB
68444540AB

The 10ft wires via the Amazon link

And ofc obds for me to enable my auto dim options again

Anything else I'm missing?
As long as you followed the first post, it's all listed there.

Jack.

Reaction score
As long as you followed the first post, it's all listed there.
Yup I'll be following the post, it seem pretty simple. Plug the new brake lights camera into the front mirror and done.

I wouldn't need any harness right ?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yup I'll be following the post, it seem pretty simple. Plug the new brake lights camera into the front mirror and done.

I wouldn't need any harness right ?
Not for a 2021.

Burns1200

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited
Do any of these CHMSL have a second camera built in pointed towards the bed like a cargo camera or should I get the 2 input camera and add a separate camera next to the light? I would assume that the HD cargo cam lights won't fit my 1500 because its new and the 2500 and up are still 4th gen cab and bed, is this correct?

vincentw56

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited
Do any of these CHMSL have a second camera built in pointed towards the bed like a cargo camera or should I get the 2 input camera and add a separate camera next to the light? I would assume that the HD cargo cam lights won't fit my 1500 because its new and the 2500 and up are still 4th gen cab and bed, is this correct?
No, but that's my next project. Modifying that CHMSL to add the camera for cargo.

Jack.

Reaction score
20230503_152740.jpg

How do we remove this style of shroud ?

Jack.

Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to say if you have a little trim tool though there is a little opening on the bottom right (passenger side) you can slid into and it’ll help pop it out it’s just on clips. @Jack.
ah okay thanks! ill take a look at it in the morning

vincentw56

Reaction score
ah okay thanks! ill take a look at it in the morning
It is very hard the first time to get off. But after that, I can pull it off by hand. I've taken mine off many times with no issues.

vincentw56

Reaction score
In theory, this sounds very straight forward. Have you seen this done before? I'd love to jump on board and add one to mine.
Yes, it's been done, but not on this digital version. Many have added a camera to the original CHMSL. If you look at the digital CHMSL, you can see their is a blank place for one to be added.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it's been done, but not on this digital version. Many have added a camera to the original CHMSL. If you look at the digital CHMSL, you can see their is a blank place for one to be added.
I noticed that blank space back when I installed mine, and I assumed that would be where a cargo camera would fit in if it were offered on these trucks. I just didn't know about potential clearance issues behind that spot as far as fitment and routing goes. I didn't inspect the CHMSL closely enough to see if it was doable. Will keep it on my radar. Definitely interested in doing this with mine.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I noticed that blank space back when I installed mine, and I assumed that would be where a cargo camera would fit in if it were offered on these trucks. I just didn't know about potential clearance issues behind that spot as far as fitment and routing goes. I didn't inspect the CHMSL closely enough to see if it was doable. Will keep it on my radar. Definitely interested in doing this with mine.
If I'm able to do it, I'll have a write up and add it to this post.

Jack.

Reaction score
Just to make sure. If my truck has FCW then I should get mirror with that feature, right?
and is it 10' enough length of fakra cable if I have sunroof?
Hey Toperz I'm assuming you ordered the parts in this ss as well? I got fcw and I just wanted to confirm you didn't have any issue once it was all installed.

Thanks !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230508_223312_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508_223312_Chrome.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread