5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey Toperz I'm assuming you ordered the parts in this ss as well? I got fcw and I just wanted to confirm you didn't have any issue once it was all installed.

Thanks !
Just follow the guide in the first post and you should be good.

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 for your BCM harness to make it fit on 19/20 Rams, does this work as a standalone system so that it can be fitted to a 4th gen? I'm trying to get it to work for my friend who has a 2016 and all the research I've looked into points to the BCM being required. The question is though will it work outside of the 5th gen rams or even used as a bench tester or does the BCM have to receive 5th gen Ram inputs to create good outputs to the mirror?

Thank you

vincentw56

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 for your BCM harness to make it fit on 19/20 Rams, does this work as a standalone system so that it can be fitted to a 4th gen? I'm trying to get it to work for my friend who has a 2016 and all the research I've looked into points to the BCM being required. The question is though will it work outside of the 5th gen rams or even used as a bench tester or does the BCM have to receive 5th gen Ram inputs to create good outputs to the mirror?

Thank you
Yes, it does. That's how we found out it works.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you

Ok so all I'm going to need to the 21+ BCM would be power and a ground then? And the harness from Jimmy07?
With my harness, you won’t have to do anything with any wires except plug my harness in.
Does the current mirror in that 2016 have either the microphones or backup camera display?
He would lose hands free by swapping in the DRVM unless he installs the mics in the headliner like they started doing on the 2017’s.

Reaction score
With my harness, you won’t have to do anything with any wires except plug my harness in.
Does the current mirror in that 2016 have either the microphones or backup camera display?
He would lose hands free by swapping in the DRVM unless he installs the mics in the headliner like they started doing on the 2017’s.
So I'm guessing when you say just plug the harness in are you saying it piggybacks off the existing BCM? Does it plug in series with the existing BCM and receive all the signals from the car or does the 21+ BCM only need a power and ground to create the CAN signal the mirror needs to function. I believe he has manual dimming mirror so I'll have to check. One of his buddies was wondering if this could potentially work in his Jeep, which is why I was wondering if the BCM only needed power and ground because I don't believe it would be a plug and play option for the Jeep, could you PM me a picture of the harness and I'll see if it could work for him.

Thank you

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm guessing when you say just plug the harness in are you saying it piggybacks off the existing BCM? Does it plug in series with the existing BCM and receive all the signals from the car or does the 21+ BCM only need a power and ground to create the CAN signal the mirror needs to function. I believe he has manual dimming mirror so I'll have to check. One of his buddies was wondering if this could potentially work in his Jeep, which is why I was wondering if the BCM only needed power and ground because I don't believe it would be a plug and play option for the Jeep, could you PM me a picture of the harness and I'll see if it could work for him.

Thank you
I don’t have any pics of the harness, but basically I can build and configure it so it’ll work on any vehicle.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So does the 21+ BCM need any actual inputs from the vehicle it goes in then? Say like a park signal or an ignition signal.
No, it is completely stand alone. You just provide power and ground to it. And there is a signal that comes back to the mirror to tell it to initialize. The first post explains it. If there was an added connection to the existing BCM, it would have been explained.

grynidbandit

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for installing the digital rearview mirror in the RAM.

Part List:
Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68448639AB

Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68448641AB

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68519111AA

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68519222AA

Center high mounted stop lamp with camera - 68444540AB

10' Fakra Z - Female to Female
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2VBYWZ[/TD]

Parts if you have a 2019/2020:
2021+ BCM - 68496414AD
Wiring Harness from Jimmy07

You only need one of the mirrors. Just choose the one that fits your vehicle and if you want to have 2 inputs or not. You only need the 2 inputs if you plan on adding another camera like cargo, trailer, etc. For the 2019/2020 you will need a 2021+ BCM and the wiring harness from Jimmy07. You can get a used one from a junkyard. You can then stash this under the driver's side dash or the front seats.

Installation is fairly simple. Replace the CHMSL with the new one. Run the cable in the headliner from it to the mirror. Replace the mirror with the new one. Connect the mirror, truck and BCM using the wiring harness. Start the truck and enjoy your new mirror.

2019/2020s will lose auto dimming side mirrors.

For 2021+, use AlfaOBD to set the following settings for auto dim size mirrors.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES
Hey,
Thanks for this guide just ordered all parts for 2019 install just curious what wires from truck go to bcm or truck to wire harness? I'm assuming wire harness goes to mirror & bcm but not sure if/or what connects from truck to bcm

Abesosa

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Got rid of 2020 Ram and returned truck to stock. Took all upgrades or modifications off.
Truck had FCW so mirror is compatible with that system.
I have the 22 BCM, harness by Jimmy07 and the mirror.
Forgot the 3rd brake light and the cable to connect to phone.
In DFW area, Looking to sale all ( harness, BCM needed for 2019-20 or other vehicles and the mirror ——Asking $400 for all 3 if you know anyone have them PM me. If you have 21 or newer you only need the mirror.

Is this mirror the one with two video inputs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hey,
Thanks for this guide just ordered all parts for 2019 install just curious what wires from truck go to bcm or truck to wire harness? I'm assuming wire harness goes to mirror & bcm but not sure if/or what connects from truck to bcm
Nothing connects to your trucks BCM. Connect the harness to the mirror (new mirror and existing factory harness), and then to the dummy BCM. That's it.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One input
you will like the setup
When I got my 23 it was a must have

Rebelqatar

Reaction score
I am planning to install mirror with two inputs on ram 1500 rebel 2022
The second input is for the trailer camera

The part number with two inputs is suggested for 2500 rams just want to confirm if it will be fine on 1500

Any suggestions for the camera on the trailer

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Got rid of 2020 Ram and returned truck to stock. Took all upgrades or modifications off.
Truck had FCW so mirror is compatible with that system.
I have the 22 BCM, harness by Jimmy07 and the mirror.
Forgot the 3rd brake light and the cable to connect to 3rd brake light.
In DFW area, Looking to sale all ( harness, BCM needed for 2019-20 or other vehicles and the mirror ——Asking $400 for all 3 if you know anyone have them PM me. If you have 21 or newer you only need the mirror.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I am planning to install mirror with two inputs on ram 1500 rebel 2022
The second input is for the trailer camera

The part number with two inputs is suggested for 2500 rams just want to confirm if it will be fine on 1500

Any suggestions for the camera on the trailer
I provided the mirror part numbers in the first post, check there. You will need to get the same camera that is in the brake light.

Rebelqatar

Reaction score
I provided the mirror part numbers in the first post, check there. You will need to get the same camera that is in the brake light.

The part number provided (68519222AA) is not compatible with the ram 1500 according to most of parts sites

It seems that the 2500 and 1500 has the same mirrors but not sure if the one with 2 input will fit

Attachments

• IMG_2834.png
    IMG_2834.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 29

vincentw56

Reaction score
The part number provided (68519222AA) is not compatible with the ram 1500 according to most of parts sites

It seems that the 2500 and 1500 has the same mirrors but not sure if the one with 2 input will fit
Except it is and that's why it is listed.

mk2019ORP

Reaction score
Would there be any issues using a mirror with FCW if my truck doesn’t have this feature? I assume not but not sure if this would throw any errors what not. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread