5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would there be any issues using a mirror with FCW if my truck doesn’t have this feature? I assume not but not sure if this would throw any errors what not. Thanks
Yes, the black cover won't fit.

Reaction score
Nothing connects to your trucks BCM. Connect the harness to the mirror (new mirror and existing factory harness), and then to the dummy BCM. That's it.
So the dummy BCM only requires 3 wires to it then? The power, a ground and a wire from it to the mirror? Is there a wiring pin out for the BCM available?

Jack.

Reaction score
Just did this upgrade tonight. Took me 45min lol. I spent 30 mins trying to fish it from the back to the front to keep it neatm and then said **** it and ran it thru the weather strip on the side as recomended by a few people.. took me 10min and another 5 for the alfa obds settings.

Also just a recommendation since you're popping off the plastic cowl, I also bought the fit x dash cam and popped it in as well while I had everything apart. Will link incase anyone are. Interested

Fitcamx 4K Dash Cam Suitable for RAM 1500 TRX Classic 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 Rebel Big Horn Laramie Tradesman (Model B), OEM Look, 2160P Video WiFi, Loop Recording G-Sensor, Easy to Use, 64GB Card https://a.co/d/eEpEQVb

vincentw56

Reaction score
So the dummy BCM only requires 3 wires to it then? The power, a ground and a wire from it to the mirror? Is there a wiring pin out for the BCM available?
I don't have a wiring diagram, but you can buy the harness made by Jimmy07. It has all the connectors. Makes it plug and play.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are any of you replacing the gasket on the new brake light prior to install? I haven’t had issues with my stock light, but prior to swapping I just wanted to see what the consensus was. Use the new light as is with supplied gasket or replace prior to install. The light I purchased is new not used. Thanks!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Are any of you replacing the gasket on the new brake light prior to install? I haven’t had issues with my stock light, but prior to swapping I just wanted to see what the consensus was. Use the new light as is with supplied gasket or replace prior to install. The light I purchased is new not used. Thanks!
Replace the gasket with what? I just installed the new light as is.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Replace the gasket with what? I just installed the new light as is.

There are other threads of individuals encountering leaks with the factory installed third break light and some have replaced gaskets with butyl tape or other options. I was leaning towards installing the new light as is but since I know it has been a problem for other folks, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

vincentw56

Reaction score
There are other threads of individuals encountering leaks with the factory installed third break light and some have replaced gaskets with butyl tape or other options. I was leaning towards installing the new light as is but since I know it has been a problem for other folks, it doesn’t hurt to ask.
That's older Rams. The issue was fixed in 2021. Even with my 2020, I never experienced it.

realestatebyrod

Reaction score
For the people with 19/20 1500s where did you stash the extra BCM? How did you mount it? Do you have pictures?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the people with 19/20 1500s where did you stash the extra BCM? How did you mount it? Do you have pictures?
I wedged mine just above and to the right in the footwell of the original BCM. It stays put, no matter what.

Scarlet Beast

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for installing the digital rearview mirror in the RAM.

Part List:
Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68448639AB

Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68448641AB

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68519111AA

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68519222AA

Center high mounted stop lamp with camera - 68444540AB

10' Fakra Z - Female to Female
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2VBYWZ[/TD]

Parts if you have a 2019/2020:
2021+ BCM - 68496414AD
Wiring Harness from Jimmy07

You only need one of the mirrors. Just choose the one that fits your vehicle and if you want to have 2 inputs or not. You only need the 2 inputs if you plan on adding another camera like cargo, trailer, etc. For the 2019/2020 you will need a 2021+ BCM and the wiring harness from Jimmy07. You can get a used one from a junkyard. You can then stash this under the driver's side dash or the front seats.

Installation is fairly simple. Replace the CHMSL with the new one. Run the cable in the headliner from it to the mirror. Replace the mirror with the new one. Connect the mirror, truck and BCM using the wiring harness. Start the truck and enjoy your new mirror.

2019/2020s will lose auto dimming side mirrors.

For 2021+, use AlfaOBD to set the following settings for auto dim size mirrors.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES
I am getting back around to this. 2019 ram 1500

68448639AB- being my mirror with no FCW or ACC.

BCM - 68496414AD
10' Fakra Z - Female to Female "AQUIRED"
Harness from Jimmy07 "AQUIRED"

68444540AB- the chml I need. My question on this part is does it include both the cargo camera and DRV camera. If so, do I need to do anything special for the cargo camera to work?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I am getting back around to this. 2019 ram 1500

68448639AB- being my mirror with no FCW or ACC.

BCM - 68496414AD
10' Fakra Z - Female to Female "AQUIRED"
Harness from Jimmy07 "AQUIRED"

68444540AB- the chml I need. My question on this part is does it include both the cargo camera and DRV camera. If so, do I need to do anything special for the cargo camera to work?
Only includes the rear view camera. The HDs are the ones with cargo cameras. And the CHMSL isn't interchangeable.

Abesosa

Reaction score
I’d search further up this group but since I’m
In the middle of install I’ll just ask. Does anyone have tip, photos, or link to how to remove the rear view Mirror cover on a 2019 limited. It’s got the honey comb grill under the mirror. Was trying to finish this before day light is gone. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score
I’d search further up this group but since I’m
In the middle of install I’ll just ask. Does anyone have tip, photos, or link to how to remove the rear view Mirror cover on a 2019 limited. It’s got the honey comb grill under the mirror. Was trying to finish this before day light is gone. Thanks guys

Pull it down. It's held tight. Grip and rip it or use a body panel tool to pry.

Abesosa

Reaction score
Pull it down. It's held tight. Grip and rip it or use a body panel tool to pry.

Definitely went pry tool. Haha it scared to grip and rip. Now onto this B of a little ply haha. Thought I was home free and run the cable was gonna be the hardest

Abesosa

Reaction score
Definitely went pry tool. Haha it scared to grip and rip. Now onto this B of a little ply haha. Thought I was home free and run the cable was gonna be the hardest

Disregard I became smarter than the object lol

Users who are viewing this thread