5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, I added the ACC button, my truck already has everything else. As for Alpha OBD, I do not have that, just JSCAN, had my mechanic install all the parts and initialize the modules, no lights until I changed vehicle config 2 and 7.
Did you follow all the instructions with the settings from the first post? You are missing a setting.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
Once you install the new ACC cruise control button normal cruise control won’t work until you either install the original switch or put the new HCU/ABS in.
I had the same issue. I changed the settings back in alpha ODB and normal cruise control didn't work. However, I did another upgrade to my vehicle. I took the negative battery cable off (precautionary) because I was doing an electrical upgrade. The cruise control started working even with the new cluster with ACC. I think this action reset the system and the configuration change back to regular cruise control took. Hope this helps you. I still haven't installed my ABS / Control module yet. Trying to find time to take my truck to the shop. That is one part I don't feel comfortable swapping out on my own.

wodell757

Reaction score
Thanks for write up as today I changed the abs module and hcu. I did try to turn on just with the switch install with alphaodb and got errors so went ahead and changed the mod/hcu. The programing is another thing as I bought the pc version on my surface pro and its a bit tricky to navigate as the drop down arrows are so small. I did the switch trying hoping the 2023 limited had the right mod/hcu but it didnt. The switch part number I used showed up different for a 2023 68526526aa.

Now looking for the right radio bezel for lane assist. Don't really need it but might as well. I had a 2019 limited it had both and also a parallel parking too. So would the parallel parking work just with the switch or has anyone tried it.

Again thanks for the time and the write up.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks for write up as today I changed the abs module and hcu. I did try to turn on just with the switch install with alphaodb and got errors so went ahead and changed the mod/hcu. The programing is another thing as I bought the pc version on my surface pro and its a bit tricky to navigate as the drop down arrows are so small. I did the switch trying hoping the 2023 limited had the right mod/hcu but it didnt. The switch part number I used showed up different for a 2023 68526526aa.

Now looking for the right radio bezel for lane assist. Don't really need it but might as well. I had a 2019 limited it had both and also a parallel parking too. So would the parallel parking work just with the switch or has anyone tried it.

Again thanks for the time and the write up.
You need sensors for the bumpers for semi-auto park. It's all in this thread. You can search for it. I added it to mine.

dh66

Reaction score
I received the new ABS module and HCU valve body today.

The HCU has a matching part # to what I ordered.

The ABS module does not - which I understand is normal. The original unit on the truck doesn't either.

My question - is there any physical way to verify I received the correct ABS module? Probably being paranoid - but picking/shipping errors do happen and I'd like to verify before installing.

Thanks -

vincentw56

Reaction score
I received the new ABS module and HCU valve body today.

The HCU has a matching part # to what I ordered.

The ABS module does not - which I understand is normal. The original unit on the truck doesn't either.

My question - is there any physical way to verify I received the correct ABS module? Probably being paranoid - but picking/shipping errors do happen and I'd like to verify before installing.

Thanks -
We don't see the part number, so there's no way to help.

dh66

Reaction score
EDIT - PROBLEMS FIXED. LEAVING POST UP B/C IT MAY HELP OTHERS!!!

2024 Laramie.

I have both the modules installed and have bled the brakes manually as well as the AlfaOBD bleed. Brakes feel great.

I can't get the ABS to initialize per the directions.

I'll get the red start button to become available - but when I press it nothing happens. Screen doesn't change at all. Should something change on AlfaOBD? How long does this take?

I think the problem might be the "Longitudinal and Lateral sensor calibration" because it fails every time?

I've tried what was mentioned by @cwatts10 in post 1142: "I also could not get Longitudinal Acceleration sensor calibration to run. I had to connect to the 2013+ module to get this to run."

This didn't work either. I've tried the sensor calibration in -
  • ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet DT MY2019+ PowerNet (note the DT)
  • ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet MY2013+ PowerNet
  • ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet MY2019+ PowerNet (note the no DT)

I've tried all the steps in all 3 options - no change. I've tried all three options with both ECS/EBP with plant mode disabled. I've even tried all 3 with plant mode enabled - just to see if there is a different behavior.

I don't seem to have any issues with these steps:
Service Procedure -> Assembly Check: successfully completed multiple times
Static ECU Initialization: successfully completed multiple times
Run Clearing Rolls Information: successfully completed multiple times

I can read the faults - vary on engine in Run, engine started, having driven around for a bit, etc.
U140E - Implausible Vehicle Configuration Data Received.
C2206 - Vehicle Configuration Mismatch
C10D0 - Electronic Park Brake System Failure
C220B - ABS ACC Valves Not Calibrated
C0042 - C0042 Brake Pedal Sensor
C006A - Multi-Axis Acceleration Sensor
C2212 - ECU In - Plant Mode
I never seem to fully get rid of the faults once I "cycle the ignition". A few will come back. But I can get the red START (instead of gray) in the "ABS Initialization" - it just doesn't seem to do anything.

Right now I have the battery disconnected for an hour. I'm going to reconnect, repeat all of this, and then let the truck sit for a couple hours.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

EDIT - After letting sit with the battery disconnected I went back and repeated ALL the settings. There was no change. I still couldn't calibrate the longitudinal sensors nor perform the ABS Initialization. I decided to DRIVE the truck again just to see if I could update the post with any more relevant info as well as to check if the AlfaOBD fault list was any different. On start-up NO errors on the dash for ABS or ESP....hmmm. Figured they would come back once I started driving - after a mile no faults so went ahead and tested Regular AND Adaptive Cruise control. Both work and none of the dash errors came back!!! Stopped and checked the errors again in AlfaOBD - the only fault was the parking brake C10D0. I cycled the parking brake on/off (sounded normal), cleared the AlfaOBD error, drove the truck home and tested the parking brake (sounded normal). Checked for faults in AlfaOBD again - the fault list is now empty.

In summary - the longitudinal calibration and the ABS initialization steps were NOT successful in AlfaOBD but ultimately I got the truck working even with these 2 failures in the steps outlined. Did letting the truck sit w/ battery disconnected help??? Who knows....could have been helpful or simply a coincidence. If someone else is having an issue w/ the longitudinal or ABS initialization - maybe my experience will be helpful. Also - if stuck with the C10D0 error - try cycling the parking brake and then clearing the error.

Last edited:

andya143

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: ACC Guide Full (3).pdf
Do you know what part number abs module your truck currently has (use AlfaOBD to read the system status if needed)? If you have FCW+, I would think you already have the correct ABS and HCU, since they need to be able to interpret data from the DASM to automatically activate the brakes, which the standard abs module isn’t capable of.
Can you just add the camera for auto high beam is you have the DASM from factory?

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you can. I actually purchased used parts too. I am installing them today or Monday. There are references in this thread. I will see if I can see the exact post where it is referenced.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I have confirmed that you can use an ABS Module and HCU from another vehicle. I was able to activate ACC on a 2021 Bighorn using a donor ABS/HCU assembly (both parts) from a 2019 Limited with the Advanced Safety Group which includes Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go. I recommend getting the VIN from the donor vehicle and verifying that it does in fact have Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go using the FCA window sticker lookup tool. Of the two I was able to find for sale on a popular website, one was listed with the wrong part number and was not the correct part. Fortunately, I caught it before I bought and installed it.

I used AlfaOBD 2.3.6.0 on Windows with an OBDLink EX USB interface an inexpensive 12+8 FCA SGW module bypass cable. I assume other combinations will work but can't confirm.

The additional step required to get past the VIN mismatch fault is to run “Reset VIN values” using AlfaOBD. It has been previously been confirmed to work with older 1500 Rams and HD Rams, and I can confirm that it also works with a 2021 Ram 1500 DT.

Steps:

• Connect to function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD.
  • Read the system ID and System Status under Status/Faults and save the log for future reference if needed (not required, but a good idea).
  • Disconnect and turn of ignition.
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Remove old ABS/HCU assembly and install the donor assembly. Be prepared to deal with about 1 quart of spilled brake fluid, most of which will come out of line on the back of the HCU closest the right fender.
  • Install donor ABS/HCU assembly.
  • Perform a base brake system bleed (using any of the old school methods).
  • Connect battery.
  • Connect to Function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD
  • Read System ID and System Status and save the log again.
  • Run “Reset VIN Values” under Active Diagnostic. When I ran this is never returned a process complete status but it worked. I waited about five minutes.
  • Power off ignition and wait a couple minutes for the power off delay to expire.
  • Connect to Function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD
  • Read System ID again. Verify that the value for VIN current all question marks. If not, repeat. The ABS ECU initialization will not work until the VIN current value is properly cleared.
  • Perform the ABS module bleed procedure using AlfaOBD (AlfaOBD will guide you).
  • I'm pretty sure the factory service manual says to run a base system bleed on the brakes again after the ABS bleed, but I can't confirm. Other than a little more time, it can't hurt.
  • Run static ECU initialization
  • Run Longitudinal acceleration sensor calibration. I had to disconnect, go to advanced mode, uncheck verify ECU, and connect to RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500: MY2013+ PowerNet to get this to work. The option under DT MY2019+ of “Longitudinal and Lateral sensor calibration fails”. I only used the 2013+ option for this one step.
  • Clear codes and cycle ignition
  • Run clearing Rolls Information
  • Run Inlet Valve Calibration
  • Run Pilot Valve Calibration
  • Run Sensor Cluster Calibration
  • Run Brake Pedal Calibration
When this was all done, I only had one remaining error which was the EPB error. This cleared when I engaged and released the parking brake and cycled the ignition one time.

Note that the ABS module will retain the VIN from the original vehicle under the VIN original value. Only the VIN current value needs to match the current vehicle.

Much thanks to all those that did the hard work to figure this stuff out!

One step closer to installing a Comma 3!
Hello - I was hoping you could explain this process in a little more detail. It was the only item that failed on me. I actually had to put the original unit back in. The donor unit had a bad outlet valve and was leaking. Put the original back in and no issues outside this failed test. Not showing any faults though.
  • Run Longitudinal acceleration sensor calibration. I had to disconnect, go to advanced mode, uncheck verify ECU, and connect to RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500: MY2013+ PowerNet to get this to work. The option under DT MY2019+ of “Longitudinal and Lateral sensor calibration fails”. I only used the 2013+ option for this one step.
How do you go to advanced mode? Also, when I went to the my2013+ PowerNet, when I connect to ABS - in only get the trailer module option. I am obviously doing something wrong. Your assistance is appreciated. Went ahead and ordered a new HCU. I decided to bite the bullet. Too much time invested in a bad part.

Ethgriskolir

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I ordered the parts from LKQ and I don’t see the part number so before I install this I wanted to make sure I got the write part. I asked them for the 68436462AJ part and they sent that with the 68415320AA off of a 2023 Ram 1500 Limited. It shows that its vin is 1C6SRFHT9PN525353 that it came from.

I don’t see the part number on the parts so how do I verify before I install them. I ordered the switch and have it coming on Saturday.

Thanks for the help
Ethgri

igolfdou18

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I ordered the parts from LKQ and I don’t see the part number so before I install this I wanted to make sure I got the write part. I asked them for the 68436462AJ part and they sent that with the 68415320AA off of a 2023 Ram 1500 Limited. It shows that its vin is 1C6SRFHT9PN525353 that it came from.

I don’t see the part number on the parts so how do I verify before I install them. I ordered the switch and have it coming on Saturday.

Thanks for the help
Ethgri
You can go to a website that lets you see the dealer sticker for a 2014 or newer RAM. You can look at the options the vehicles had. I used this one. Window Sticker Lookup by VIN

MS Delta

Reaction score
I wish I could just pay a shop to add adaptive cruise to my Laramie😀

Users who are viewing this thread