5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

dh66

Reaction score
I have a 2024 Laramie w/ all those features. I first bought the switch and did the programming just out of curiosity - as expected and this post has stated - I needed to replace ABS/HCU. It's not all that difficult. Bite the bullet and order the parts....

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I have confirmed that you can use an ABS Module and HCU from another vehicle. I was able to activate ACC on a 2021 Bighorn using a donor ABS/HCU assembly (both parts) from a 2019 Limited with the Advanced Safety Group which includes Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go. I recommend getting the VIN from the donor vehicle and verifying that it does in fact have Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go using the FCA window sticker lookup tool. Of the two I was able to find for sale on a popular website, one was listed with the wrong part number and was not the correct part. Fortunately, I caught it before I bought and installed it.

I used AlfaOBD 2.3.6.0 on Windows with an OBDLink EX USB interface an inexpensive 12+8 FCA SGW module bypass cable. I assume other combinations will work but can't confirm.

The additional step required to get past the VIN mismatch fault is to run “Reset VIN values” using AlfaOBD. It has been previously been confirmed to work with older 1500 Rams and HD Rams, and I can confirm that it also works with a 2021 Ram 1500 DT.

Steps:

• Connect to function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD.
  • Read the system ID and System Status under Status/Faults and save the log for future reference if needed (not required, but a good idea).
  • Disconnect and turn of ignition.
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Remove old ABS/HCU assembly and install the donor assembly. Be prepared to deal with about 1 quart of spilled brake fluid, most of which will come out of line on the back of the HCU closest the right fender.
  • Install donor ABS/HCU assembly.
  • Perform a base brake system bleed (using any of the old school methods).
  • Connect battery.
  • Connect to Function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD
  • Read System ID and System Status and save the log again.
  • Run “Reset VIN Values” under Active Diagnostic. When I ran this is never returned a process complete status but it worked. I waited about five minutes.
  • Power off ignition and wait a couple minutes for the power off delay to expire.
  • Connect to Function “ABS” and ECU “ABS Bosch/Continental/Teves/TRW PowerNet: DT MY2019+ PowerNet” using AlfaOBD
  • Read System ID again. Verify that the value for VIN current all question marks. If not, repeat. The ABS ECU initialization will not work until the VIN current value is properly cleared.
  • Perform the ABS module bleed procedure using AlfaOBD (AlfaOBD will guide you).
  • I'm pretty sure the factory service manual says to run a base system bleed on the brakes again after the ABS bleed, but I can't confirm. Other than a little more time, it can't hurt.
  • Run static ECU initialization
  • Run Longitudinal acceleration sensor calibration. I had to disconnect, go to advanced mode, uncheck verify ECU, and connect to RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500: MY2013+ PowerNet to get this to work. The option under DT MY2019+ of “Longitudinal and Lateral sensor calibration fails”. I only used the 2013+ option for this one step.
  • Clear codes and cycle ignition
  • Run clearing Rolls Information
  • Run Inlet Valve Calibration
  • Run Pilot Valve Calibration
  • Run Sensor Cluster Calibration
  • Run Brake Pedal Calibration
When this was all done, I only had one remaining error which was the EPB error. This cleared when I engaged and released the parking brake and cycled the ignition one time.

Note that the ABS module will retain the VIN from the original vehicle under the VIN original value. Only the VIN current value needs to match the current vehicle.

Much thanks to all those that did the hard work to figure this stuff out!

One step closer to installing a Comma 3!
An someone walk me through how to go into advanced mode in alpha obd?

Ethgriskolir

Reaction score
I installed the module and the HCU today from the one that I got from LKQ which was used off of a 23 RAM 1500 Limited and after the install was a bunch of errors (of course that was expected) plugged in the sec module and the MQ+ OBD module and started clearing them from my iPhone using OBDJscan. One thing I had to do was force it to forget the VIN and relearn it from my truck through the full initialization but that was no issue. After that I cleared the codes again and then reset the E-Brake and cleared those codes and all good.

Only thing that I was unable to do was run the ABS brake bleed portion but I did the manual and the brakes are working so I don’t know is that an issue or am I good to go. Now just waiting on the actual steering wheel module to install and turn it all on.

Also if you don’t mind a used one I got both the ABS module and the HCU for under 400 through LKQ online. Had to call to give them the part but the will mail it to you and both came connected together already as well as on the bracket so was super easy to bolt it in.

Reaction score
I have a 2024 Laramie w/ all those features. I first bought the switch and did the programming just out of curiosity - as expected and this post has stated - I needed to replace ABS/HCU. It's not all that difficult. Bite the bullet and order the parts....

I verified the numbers late last night, when I had the truck undercoated they sprayed over the part label. I’ll have the switch in a few days, just not sure why I would have them already. It’s a backcountry doubt that would have anything to do with it…

Last edited:

igolfdou18

Reaction score
I successfully completed my upgrades yesterday. I took the time to consolidate the steps to help anyone who is trying to piece together different threads for adding the adaptive cruise control. Amazing work done by a lot of people to build this thread and share their process.

• Parts Used for My 2023 Limited w/ Forward Collision Avoidance w/ Emergency Braking
    • Hydraulic Control Unit – Mopar Part 68415320AA $439.27 from FactoryMoparDirect.Com
    • Anti-lock Brake System Module– Mopar Part 68436462AA $297.00 from FactoryMoparDirect.Com
  • ABS>DT 2019+> ECS In Plant Mode> Disable
  • ABS>DT 2019+ > EPB In Plant Mode> Disable
  • ABS > DT 2019> Service Procedures > Assembly Check
When this was all done, I only had one remaining error which was the EPB error. This cleared when I engaged and released the parking brake and cycled the ignition one time.

I hope this helps. I tried to consolidate the steps into one place. I think this process will work the same if you buy a used part.

I also attached a version to make it easier to print if anyone is like me an likes to have a checklist to follow.

Attachments

• Steps ABS & HCU Programming.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Just to confirm, ACC can be added, and all parts calibrated/initialized with JScan correct?

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just to confirm, ACC can be added, and all parts calibrated/initialized with JScan correct?

Got that by doing a quick search.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Got that by doing a quick search.
Yeah.
You gave me the link to the thread you responded to.
Nice work.
Clearly, I got here by using search.
Just read through alot of information and do not recall someone completely doing this 100% with JScan, if you do not know the answer...its ok...just let the guy that knows answer.
Thanks.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yeah.
You gave me the link to the thread you responded to.
Nice work.
Clearly, I got here by using search.
Just read through alot of information and do not recall someone completely doing this 100% with JScan, if you do not know the answer...its ok...just let the guy that knows answer.
Thanks.
No need to be rude. The system screwed up the link. Edited my post to fix it, but here it is again. Had you searched in this thread like I said, you'd found it as easy as I did.

hammersfd

Reaction score
I successfully completed my upgrades yesterday. I took the time to consolidate the steps to help anyone who is trying to piece together different threads for adding the adaptive cruise control. Amazing work done by a lot of people to build this thread and share their process.

• Parts Used for My 2023 Limited w/ Forward Collision Avoidance w/ Emergency Braking
    • Hydraulic Control Unit – Mopar Part 68415320AA $439.27 from FactoryMoparDirect.Com
    • Anti-lock Brake System Module– Mopar Part 68436462AA $297.00 from FactoryMoparDirect.Com
  • ABS>DT 2019+> ECS In Plant Mode> Disable
  • ABS>DT 2019+ > EPB In Plant Mode> Disable
  • ABS > DT 2019> Service Procedures > Assembly Check

I hope this helps. I tried to consolidate the steps into one place. I think this process will work the same if you buy a used part.

I also attached a version to make it easier to print if anyone is like me an likes to have a checklist to follow.
Any chance you'd mind posting the two youtube links from your write up?, they're not working for me from the PDF.

igolfdou18

Reaction score
    • Here is a video of the bleeding process I found. It will help you familiarize yourself with both processes. The mechanic uses a different to tool for the ABS automated processes but I think it helps you know what to expect.

• Follow the instructions on this YouTube Video to minimize the mess of leaking hydraulic fluid, it was kept to a minimum

Reaction score
Thank you. I see it’s a limited and seems like it is right so hopefully when I do this it works.
Sounds like you had good luck with this mod, all features work correctly on the dash etc? It is weird though that the VIN they supplied did not show adaptive cruise on the sticker. Glad it worked out though!

emcnicholas

Reaction score
So I just got my ram 1500 laramie and was wanting to add ACC. It looks like some of the part numbers have changed and wanted to make sure I get them right. I have the FULL SPEED FWD COLLISION WARN PLUS so I should have the DASM but when I search for parts I get the following.

Switch: 68309592AD
ABS: 68436462AL
HCU: 68415320AA

Thanks,

Reaction score
Thank you to all who helped put this together.
I found a used ABS/HCU from a 2022 Ram with ACC. Mine which was not ACC ready was 68535468AB.
The correct one was:
ABS Module: 68535469AB Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go with the matching HCU and got it installed today and programmed.
I put this out here because when I was searching for what was on my truck I could not find anything on it at any of the Mopar parts sites. To new to be listed? So maybe this will help somone else.

Also I ran into one issue when initializing the ABS Module I was working in the driveway and it was 40 deg F outside and it failed saying it needed to be minimum 50 deg F. So it put it in the garage and warmed it up for a bit then was able to complete the steps with ALPHA OBD.

Cheers!
68535469AB, purchased off eBay for $125 plus tax. Took time, bled thoroughly, followed the doc, alfa….no issues. Thanks to the thread, the members for their input, the members that answered my silly questions, and the trolls that didn’t answer my questions but referred me to the search function. My buddy is happy with his ACC!

truckman

Reaction score
68535469AB, purchased off eBay for $125 plus tax. Took time, bled thoroughly, followed the doc, alfa….no issues. Thanks to the thread, the members for their input, the members that answered my silly questions, and the trolls that didn’t answer my questions but referred me to the search function. My buddy is happy with his ACC!

Congrats man! Let me know if you like it, I'm tempted on doing this as my next project.

On the subject of trolls, I agree it's kind of funny how some people lecture you for asking a simple question and would prefer you instead pore through a 60 page thread filled with outdated and inconsistent advice.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats man! Let me know if you like it, I'm tempted on doing this as my next project.

On the subject of trolls, I agree it's kind of funny how some people lecture you for asking a simple question and would prefer you instead pore through a 60 page thread filled with outdated and inconsistent advice.
I don’t think it’s people lecturing for asking a simple question it’s just a question that can 90% of the time be answered and found on the first page of notes and if you’ve kept up with this thread for a while like most people who respond they probably get the same questions over and over again that are answered if people just looked at the first page. With that being said I can understand the other side as well if they are new, confused, and have gone through the material provided and still don’t understand. Welcome to the forum lots of great people and knowledge to be found!

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s people lecturing for asking a simple question it’s just a question that can 90% of the time be answered and found on the first page of notes and if you’ve kept up with this thread for a while like most people who respond they probably get the same questions over and over again that are answered if people just looked at the first page. With that being said I can understand the other side as well if they are new, confused, and have gone through the material provided and still don’t understand. Welcome to the forum lots of great people and knowledge to be found!
It was a dig at me. Even though I provided a link to the answer to his question, I'm a troll because I said I found it using search.

Reaction score
Great, you identified the problem. Thats the first step to resolution. There are folks that buy their trucks, get interested in making some changes - then move on with their life. Those that choose to "spend too much time on here" or hang around and chop-it-up everyday get bothered to the fact that we may have questions and are quick to point us to the search function. (Psst... How did we find the site to begin with...) Truth is that those comments clog up the thread just as much as a "repeated" question. The legit part about that is that the repeated question was directed at the topic at hand, and not intended as bait to drag out a pretentious response. Starting out with "use search" still does not answer the question and leaves us still in the dark. BTW, to use that search function you have to know EXACTLY what verbiage to use. Someone that hangs out on these threads all day probably knows that, the rest of us do not. Consider this...we are all aware there are MANY different flavors of these trucks, and many changes to the programs over the years that just sometimes are not captured "in the first page". This particular thread has spanned exactly three years regarding trucks made over a six year span. This will be my only comment outside of what I know, I will not speak to what I do not. Kudos to the ones that jumped into this and spent a smooth G on developing the process and capturing it on a document. Great! follow this list and you'll get ACC. What about the backwoods country guy like me that wants to cheat that document and do the project for less than $200. This is how WE evolve, not by sitting back referencing everyone elses data.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/