5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

21-Rebel

Reaction score
I’m all in for adding ACC, and Lane Keep Assist. Maybe down the road, Blind Spot Detection.

First things, first. I‘m 100% in the Apple world. To get the most out of AlphaOBD, should I grab a cheap Windows Tablet, Android Tablet, or a cheap Windows laptop?

tdb0021

Reaction score
I’m all in for adding ACC, and Lane Keep Assist. Maybe down the road, Blind Spot Detection.

First things, first. I‘m 100% in the Apple world. To get the most out of AlphaOBD, should I grab a cheap Windows Tablet, Android Tablet, or a cheap Windows laptop

personally, I think the windows version is the most useful. I have tried both.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

First things, first. I‘m 100% in the Apple world. To get the most out of AlphaOBD, should I grab a cheap Windows Tablet, Android Tablet, or a cheap Windows laptop?

I’m in the same boat as all my other stuff is Apple now. I originally went with a cheap android tablet, but then the newer updates to AlfaOBD wouldn’t work on it. I ended up getting a cheap windows tablet online and so far it has worked just fine and the windows version has more control than the android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score
If your truck came factory equipped with FCW but not ACC, you need the following: (see attached file for additional information).

HCU: 68415320AA ACC w/Stop and Go - $265.55

ABS Module: 68436462AJ Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go], [Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go] After 06/06/2018 - $200.64

ACC Button - 68309592AD SWITCH. Speed Control. Right. = $57.05

Lane Keep for 2021 RAM

Requires:

Center Stack 68312620AG – $468.60
If I had a limited with no options, this is all I would need correct?

Cajun_

Reaction score
If your truck does not have any of the safety features the new one's have then you will follow the original guide, yes.
I've got blind spot, auto high beam, it warns me that I'm about to hit something in front of me but I have no clue if it will also brake for me.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've got blind spot, auto high beam, it warns me that I'm about to hit something in front of me but I have no clue if it will also brake for me.
There should be a setting in Uconnect that either gives you a warning or warning plus braking.

Jcan_422

Reaction score
I have a 21 ram rebel with the Level 2. I’ve been wondering why the TRX would have the necessary parts to simply add the ACC button and have it work. The only feature it has over a regular ram that require the brakes would be the crawl cruise control and it shares the hill decent which modulate the brake instead of slamming them like the warning alert does. Has anyone with a rebel tried just adding the ACC button? Do other rams also have hill decent that have tried it?

St-na

Reaction score
I have a 21 ram rebel with the Level 2. I’ve been wondering why the TRX would have the necessary parts to simply add the ACC button and have it work. The only feature it has over a regular ram that require the brakes would be the crawl cruise control and it shares the hill decent which modulate the brake instead of slamming them like the warning alert does. Has anyone with a rebel tried just adding the ACC button? Do other rams also have hill decent that have tried it?
I wouldn't play with that. Just call (888)255-8311 or any other Mopar supplier and give them Your VIN. Having Your HCU part number on hand, You will get the answer. TRX are special, but their price is also different.

Jcan_422

Reaction score
I wouldn't play with that. Just call (888)255-8311 or any other Mopar supplier and give them Your VIN. Having Your HCU part number on hand, You will get the answer. TRX are special, but their price is also different.
I get that, just wondering what functions the TRX uses as far as ABS aid systems that differentiate from, say, a rebel.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Do you have the camera and radar? What about FCW?

Jcan_422

Reaction score
Do you have the camera and radar? What about FCW?
Rebels don’t come with a forward camera but it does have Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus, Cross Path Detection, and Advanced Brake Assist. Do you know if a 4x4 Ram has hill decent like a rebel?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Rebels don’t come with a forward camera but it does have Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus, Cross Path Detection, and Advanced Brake Assist. Do you know if a 4x4 Ram has hill decent like a rebel?
If you have all that, then you have the camera and radar in the windshield. My BH 4x4 has hill start assist, but not decent. I don't have the off-road package so maybe that is why or unique to the Rebel.

Jcan_422

Reaction score
If you have all that, then you have the camera and radar in the windshield. My BH 4x4 has hill start assist, but not decent. I don't have the off-road package so maybe that is why or unique to the Rebel.
I was just thinking since hill decent modulates the brakes as needed, it should hopefully work with ACC. While, the FCW slams on your brakes pretty hard. I might just check it out and buy the button steering wheel controls to give it a try.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was just thinking since hill decent modulates the brakes as needed, it should hopefully work with ACC. While, the FCW slams on your brakes pretty hard. I might just check it out and buy the button steering wheel controls to give it a try.
Hill descent control doesn’t need the adaptive cruise ABS module. There is one quick way to find out what abs module you currently have in minutes without speculation- call any parts department in the country (at this hour, one in mountain or pacific time zone), give them your VIN, and they will tell you your current abs module part number.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After a few hours reading through this thread, I’m a little sad that I have to mess with the HCU and bleed brakes to get ACC.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a few hours reading through this thread, I’m a little sad that I have to mess with the HCU and bleed brakes to get ACC.
I feel you. I thought it was going to be easy like the TRX's. I was about to buy the switch and get to installing, but to do the HCU seems like it's going to be tough. Wonder if the dealer will change out the HCU, bleed the brakes and get rid of any codes that come with the change if I went that route?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel you. I thought it was going to be easy like the TRX's. I was about to buy the switch and get to installing, but to do the HCU seems like it's going to be tough. Wonder if the dealer will change out the HCU, bleed the brakes and get rid of any codes that come with the change if I went that route?
Others have said that dealers won’t since the parts don’t match the options in your VIN.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It isn't that difficult to do if you have some mechanical knowledge. You could also ask an automotive repair place to do it also.

Users who are viewing this thread