5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

tdb0021

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RMUuiJC6nlN4EUPaxEnvkMiQc-wS9E1y/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• ACC Guide Full.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 3,751
Last edited:

tdb0021

Reaction score
If your truck came factory equipped with FCW but not ACC, you need the following: (see attached file for additional information).

HCU: 68415320AA ACC w/Stop and Go - $265.55

ABS Module: 68436462AJ Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go], [Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go] After 06/06/2018 - $200.64

ACC Button - 68309592AD SWITCH. Speed Control. Right. = $57.05

Lane Keep for 2021 RAM

Requires:

Center Stack 68312620AG – $468.60

Attachments

• with DASM.pdf
    887.4 KB · Views: 1,132
Last edited:

tdb0021

Reaction score
In the initial document I mentioned having a parking brake warning light on after the HCU and ABS module installation procedure. This can now be cleared with AlphaOBD by doing the following:

ABS > Service Procedures > Assembly Check > START.

The ABS will make a brief noise and EPB light should turn off. Cycle the ignition then put it in Run again, and check the ABS module for faults. The fault might still be present but this time you should be able to clear it.

See page 32, post #628 for details. How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500
Credit to @konon for this discovery.

It has now been confirmed that you can use a used HCU and ABS module rather than purchasing new as mentioned in the installation document. Please refer to page 41, post #812 for details. Many thanks to @Sohosys for this information. How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

It's been confirmed by @Jimmy07 that you can in fact use a used DASM from a donor truck to complete this modification. See post 902 on page 46 for details. How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Last edited:

HookedonRam

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.
We can't thank you enough for getting this done and operational plus providing us with step-by-step instructions! I just ordered everything to make the swap from 8.4" to 12.1" uconnect and this will be the next thing on my list. Moreover, once, I fully upgrade my stereo in my truck I don't think I will be trading it in or selling it anytime soon! This options basically gives me most of the things I was missing from my JGC. Thus, makes my Big Horn worth keeping for a long time! Thanks again for all your hard work!

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Holy moly. That is one slightly involved mod. Kudos to you for figuring this out and taking the plunge. Great write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Outstanding work on all of this. My truck is factory equipped with FCW and auto high beams using the DASM, so based on what I have gathered I should be able to just add the remaining parts and save a good bit not having to purchase a new DASM.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Outstanding work on all of this. My truck is factory equipped with FCW and auto high beams using the DASM, so based on what I have gathered I should be able to just add the remaining parts and save a good bit not having to purchase a new DASM.
If that's the case you should be able to activate very easily... Interesting that they would activate the FCW from the factory but not the ACC or lanesense.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that's the case you should be able to activate very easily... Interesting that they would activate the FCW from the factory but not the ACC or lanesense.

Based on my parts research, and conversation with Jimmy07, I’ll need the parts for the braking system as they are different based on their purpose. I’m guessing they are designed differently to modulate brakes smoothly vs full application with just the full speed collision system. The switches will be simple to swap in.

Typical of companies saving a few bucks here and there to get you to jump to the next trim level for certain features.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Based on my parts research, and conversation with Jimmy07, I’ll need the parts for the braking system as they are different based on their purpose. I’m guessing they are designed differently to modulate brakes smoothly vs full application with just the full speed collision system. The switches will be simple to swap in.

Typical of companies saving a few bucks here and there to get you to jump to the next trim level for certain features.

That would make sense. Probably the same system that stops the car with the reverse parking sensors is the same as the FCW. Either way, those are the cheapest components in the whole setup so you'll get a really nice upgrade for very little cost. Nice!

azzx

Reaction score
I am curious about your setup. Looks like we have the same truck options. does your truck have the camera that is in my picture?
I was told that this is not DASM that is needed for other advanced safety functions --- it is just for high beam.

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_115306677.jpg
    IMG_20190501_115306677.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 911

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am curious about your setup. Looks like we have the same truck options. does your truck have the camera that is in my picture?
I was told that this is not DASM that is needed for other advanced safety functions --- it is just for high beam.
You are correct on the camera. That is not the DASM. You would need to replace it.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As mentioned already, that’s not the DASM, it’s just the camera for the high beams. My truck is equipped with the full speed forward collision warning with emergency braking, but not the more advanced features. It utilizes the DASM for that system, along with the auto high beam function, and apparently it controls my standard cruise control as well.

To get the ACC and lane keep, I should in theory be able to utilize my current DASM and just add the HCU and ABS module along with the buttons. Since they are listed as different part numbers, one can guess that they are designed for either full brake application, as in my truck’s case, or the ability to modulate them smoothly for the ACC.

Now I am wondering if adding the radio bezel with the lane keep assist button and activating that feature in the BCM would enable that feature independent of the ACC, or if they are tied together in some way. Time for more reading.

azzx

Reaction score
interesting, so it looks like that for 2021 RAM includes DASM even though it does not have other safety features like ACC and such

tdb0021

Reaction score
interesting, so it looks like that for 2021 RAM includes DASM even though it does not have other safety features like ACC and such

This might be accurate - i think one of the new standard safety features (maybe starting in 2021) is Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). If that's the case it would require the DASM.

tdb0021

Reaction score
As mentioned already, that’s not the DASM, it’s just the camera for the high beams. My truck is equipped with the full speed forward collision warning with emergency braking, but not the more advanced features. It utilizes the DASM for that system, along with the auto high beam function, and apparently it controls my standard cruise control as well.

To get the ACC and lane keep, I should in theory be able to utilize my current DASM and just add the HCU and ABS module along with the buttons. Since they are listed as different part numbers, one can guess that they are designed for either full brake application, as in my truck’s case, or the ability to modulate them smoothly for the ACC.

Now I am wondering if adding the radio bezel with the lane keep assist button and activating that feature in the BCM would enable that feature independent of the ACC, or if they are tied together in some way. Time for more reading.

I believe you can activate these separate of each other. When I was experimenting with Alpha on this project I tried enabling these separate. What happened is the menu on the dash would change from "ACC and Lanesense off" to "Lanesense off" or "ACC off" depending on what i had deactivated. I'd say attempt to activate the lanesense options in alpha obd and see what happens. It shouldn't have any other effect on your truck in theory.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This might be accurate - i think one of the new standard safety features (maybe starting in 2021) is Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). If that's the case it would require the DASM.

It is listed as a standard feature on my window sticker, so I think you are correct that it is included now, at least on the Laramie.

Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus
Advanced Brake–Assist

I believe you can activate these separate of each other. When I was experimenting with Alpha on this project I tried enabling these separate. What happened is the menu on the dash would change from "ACC and Lanesense off" to "Lanesense off" or "ACC off" depending on what i had deactivated. I'd say attempt to activate the lanesense options in alpha obd and see what happens. It shouldn't have any other effect on your truck in theory.

I am trying to source a good part number for the center stack that includes lane assist now, but without a photo of the part along with the description it's a little tricky and I don't want to gamble on a $500+ part. Hoping I will have some luck searching dealers and find a truck with it and I can use the VIN to source the correct part number. I may mess with alfaobd and see what happens if I enable it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is listed as a standard feature on my window sticker, so I think you are correct that it is included now, at least on the Laramie.

Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus
Advanced Brake–Assist

I am trying to source a good part number for the center stack that includes lane assist now, but without a photo of the part along with the description it's a little tricky and I don't want to gamble on a $500+ part. Hoping I will have some luck searching dealers and find a truck with it and I can use the VIN to source the correct part number. I may mess with alfaobd and see what happens if I enable it.
That's my issue too on the center stack. Just trying to find the right one is a pain.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Do you know what part number abs module your truck currently has (use AlfaOBD to read the system status if needed)? If you have FCW+, I would think you already have the correct ABS and HCU, since they need to be able to interpret data from the DASM to automatically activate the brakes, which the standard abs module isn’t capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread