5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

St-na

Reaction score
So I have tested and everything is functional for ACC! I tried to enable the pedestrian braking and I can’t find this option in Alfa CustSetMenu 3: Pedestrian Emergency Brake CSM Present- YES. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for all the help and the great write up.
If You check my pdf file on this page, You will find the answer: VehConfig 8: Pedestrian Emergency Brake (PEB) Present- YES,
CustSetMenu 3: Pedestrian Emergency Brake CSM Present- YES

sportgd

Reaction score
If You check my pdf file on this page, You will find the answer: VehConfig 8: Pedestrian Emergency Brake (PEB) Present- YES,
CustSetMenu 3: Pedestrian Emergency Brake CSM Present- YES
Thanks for the reply, I got that language from your pdf… the option isn’t appearing in alfaobd for me to change

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I got that language from your pdf… the option isn’t appearing in alfaobd for me to change
What year do you have? I think this was added in 2021 or 2022. My 2020 does not have the 2nd option.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re using Android, go to settings up top and select the option “do not verify ECU model”. Then, choose body computer MY2021 Powernet (NOT DT MY2021 Powernet), and connect. It will show up in the list now.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Well this is good news to come back to the forum! I have been busy and away from the forum, but I have mentioned to the wife multiple times that I should have just bought a truck with ACC!

I have only made it to page 5 of this thread but from what I gather I should be able to add ACC to my 2020 Laramie, only issue is after reading the first 5-ish pages my eyes started to cross! I do not yet had hands on with AlfaOBD but I have been meaning to find a reason to acquire it. I do work for ZF slip control and most of this looks like simple part swap work, so I have that going for me.

Would anyone happen to have already figured out what parts list is needed for a 2020 with rain sensing and auto high beams?

From what I gather, I will not need a different windshield but will need:

1- new DASM
2- Center stack - may as well go from 8.4 to 12"
3- ACC button
4- Possible Mirror / mount bracket
5- AlphaOBD

Unsure on the HCU/ACU until I check part numbers but maybe someone that has already knows can make it easy on me!

Plus I had to respond and give thanks to the member(s) that started this and already did the leg work, really is awesome as I love the truck but I regret not getting the ACC on every drive on the highway!!!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Well this is good news to come back to the forum! I have been busy and away from the forum, but I have mentioned to the wife multiple times that I should have just bought a truck with ACC!

I have only made it to page 5 of this thread but from what I gather I should be able to add ACC to my 2020 Laramie, only issue is after reading the first 5-ish pages my eyes started to cross! I do not yet had hands on with AlfaOBD but I have been meaning to find a reason to acquire it. I do work for ZF slip control and most of this looks like simple part swap work, so I have that going for me.

Would anyone happen to have already figured out what parts list is needed for a 2020 with rain sensing and auto high beams?

From what I gather, I will not need a different windshield but will need:

1- new DASM
2- Center stack - may as well go from 8.4 to 12"
3- ACC button
4- Possible Mirror / mount bracket
5- AlphaOBD

Unsure on the HCU/ACU until I check part numbers but maybe someone that has already knows can make it easy on me!

Plus I had to respond and give thanks to the member(s) that started this and already did the leg work, really is awesome as I love the truck but I regret not getting the ACC on every drive on the highway!!!
You will need everything. I'm not sure on the windshield, but I think you might need it. I think the camera for auto high beams is mounted to the rear view mirror. The DASM mounts to the windshield.

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
You will need everything. I'm not sure on the windshield, but I think you might need it. I think the camera for auto high beams is mounted to the rear view mirror. The DASM mounts to the windshield.
Ha. Well that’s ok as I have a chip that was repaired, has yet to spread but still bugs me some!

I guess I’ll start collecting parts. As others have said I am very surprised on the cost of the 12” display!

St-na

Reaction score
Ha. Well that’s ok as I have a chip that was repaired, has yet to spread but still bugs me some!

I guess I’ll start collecting parts. As others have said I am very surprised on the cost of the 12” display!

If You go from 8.4" to 12", You would need also radio module, which is not so cheap. All part numbers are shown in the first 2 posts on the page 1.

Toperz

Reaction score
If your windshield looks like this. U will need new one.
c5055374feb8ab90a1c1f6c3c4cb7628.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

sportgd

Reaction score
If you’re using Android, go to settings up top and select the option “do not verify ECU model”. Then, choose body computer MY2021 Powernet (NOT DT MY2021 Powernet), and connect. It will show up in the list now.
Thanks Jimmy, was away for the holiday but now I’m back and have it all working! This was the issue.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Does anyone that has added this have a leveled or lifted truck with larger wheels and tires than factory on it? I’m asking because the dealer is saying that RAM is telling them that my larger wheels and tires may be why my DASM isn’t taking a calibration after having my windshield replaced.

Cda3488

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RMUuiJC6nlN4EUPaxEnvkMiQc-wS9E1y/view?usp=sharing
Omg rhouhht I had found the holy grail until I realized you need to be an engineer to do this!!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Omg rhouhht I had found the holy grail until I realized you need to be an engineer to do this!!
You don't need to be an engineer, just someone who knows more than the basics of working on vehicles.

AzCummins

Reaction score
So first off...2022 3500 limited Longhorn with rain sensing only and the digital tow mirror...so no camera (DASM?).

After browsing this thread it seems that if I want ACC only ..it's more than AlphaOBD and the switch on the steering wheel?

vincentw56

Reaction score
So first off...2022 3500 limited Longhorn with rain sensing only and the digital tow mirror...so no camera (DASM?).

After browsing this thread it seems that if I want ACC only ..it's more than AlphaOBD and the switch on the steering wheel?
Yes, if you don't have a DASM, you need that and everything else. I'm not sure what all is needed on the 3500 though.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Correct, it’s more than the switch on the wheel. You would need the DASM, windshield, and new mirror jumper harness (the HDs already have all the DASM wires populated on the passenger side A-pillar body side, including the DASM de-icer). The other good news for the HD Rams is, there is only one part number for the ABS module and HCU, so you should already be set there.

AzCummins

Reaction score
Correct, it’s more than the switch on the wheel. You would need the DASM, windshield, and new mirror jumper harness (the HDs already have all the DASM wires populated on the passenger side A-pillar body side, including the DASM de-icer). The other good news for the HD Rams is, there is only one part number for the ABS module and HCU, so you should already be set there.
If I made those changes how would that affect the Digital Tow Mirror

rizman22

Reaction score
2021 ram rebel here, I have the Dasm and added the switch to steering wheel. I tried enabling the adaptive cruise with alpha obd and now I get a screen that pops up Acc in need of service and cruise control won’t work. Do I have to enable more things in alpha obd to get it to work?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2021 ram rebel here, I have the Dasm and added the switch to steering wheel. I tried enabling the adaptive cruise with alpha obd and now I get a screen that pops up Acc in need of service and cruise control won’t work. Do I have to enable more things in alpha obd to get it to work?
Did you change out the abs module and HCU?

rizman22

Reaction score
If your truck came factory equipped with FCW but not ACC, you need the following: (see attached file for additional information).

HCU: 68415320AA ACC w/Stop and Go - $265.55

ABS Module: 68436462AJ Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go], [Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop and Go] After 06/06/2018 - $200.64

ACC Button - 68309592AD SWITCH. Speed Control. Right. = $57.05

Lane Keep for 2021 RAM

Requires:

Center Stack 68312620AG – $468.60
Can I enable auto high beams or does this need the abs and hcu unites?

Users who are viewing this thread